Jump to content
BANGKOK
jimn

Visa for 7.5 month per year in Thailand

Recommended Posts

I class myself as someone who is relatively well informed about the visa situation for long stays in Thailand. However with changes first to the ceasing of income letters from the British Embassy and now compulsory Thai insurance for Non OA visa's I am having a drastic rethink on what my next step should be when my current retirement extension finishes in May 2020.

For the last 6 years I have been on extensions of stay based on retirement. For various reasons mainly because I only stay 7.5 months I do not want to transfer 65k per month from the UK into my Thai bank account. I had planned to let my extension of stay expire and instead apply for an OA visa when I go back to the UK next May. If used right I could have got 2 years out of this visa. This new Thai insurance requirment scuppers that. I always take out insurance from a reputable UK company for my 7 month stay, I certainly will not be changing to a Thai one.

I would like to hear any suggestions on a way forward, one that would not give me any problems when I enter for my 7.5 month stay at Suvarnabhumi airport. I don't want to take the risk of a Multi Entry Tourist visa. I am thinking maybe getting a single Non O based on marriage from London for the first 90 days and then extending by 60 days. I would then have to travel to Laos to get another Non O for the remainder of my stay. Can anyone suggest anything else? 

If it all is too much trouble, I will just revert to my extension of stay but use an agent for 13,000 baht in Pattaya something I never wanted to do but now have limited options.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just about to switch from extensions based on retirement (last 7 years) to non O-A. I changed mind with the possibility of the insurance requirement. 

I think its a no brainer for you. Yes you could use the married side of things or lock away 800k in FD account retirement) and just extend annually. Obviously you need to plan around date that you will be in los. 

I did my extension this past Tuesday at CW. For once it was pretty good. Arrived 11.40 back home phra ram 9 by 3.15pm. Its not that bad.

 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I was just about to switch from extensions based on retirement (last 7 years) to non O-A. I changed mind with the possibility of the insurance requirement. 

I think its a no brainer for you. Yes you could use the married side of things or lock away 800k in FD account retirement) and just extend annually. Obviously you need to plan around date that you will be in los. 

I did my extension this past Tuesday at CW. For once it was pretty good. Arrived 11.40 back home phra ram 9 by 3.15pm. Its not that bad.

 

Thanks for your comment. I should have mentioned I don't want to tie up 400k in a FD or even my Thai bank account. Until the UK pound recovers and when I get my state UK pension in 2.5 years I am not in the situation to be able to do that. I do have some UK company shares but I don't want to cash these in just to deposit the 400k. Good idea but one I have rejected, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

Philippines.

 

Thanks for your constructive suggestion Bob. I don't think my Thai wife will want that after 4.5 months in the UK

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jimn said:

I class myself as someone who is relatively well informed about the visa situation for long stays in Thailand. However with changes first to the ceasing of income letters from the British Embassy and now compulsory Thai insurance for Non OA visa's I am having a drastic rethink on what my next step should be when my current retirement extension finishes in May 2020.

For the last 6 years I have been on extensions of stay based on retirement. For various reasons mainly because I only stay 7.5 months I do not want to transfer 65k per month from the UK into my Thai bank account. I had planned to let my extension of stay expire and instead apply for an OA visa when I go back to the UK next May. If used right I could have got 2 years out of this visa. This new Thai insurance requirment scuppers that. I always take out insurance from a reputable UK company for my 7 month stay, I certainly will not be changing to a Thai one.

I would like to hear any suggestions on a way forward, one that would not give me any problems when I enter for my 7.5 month stay at Suvarnabhumi airport. I don't want to take the risk of a Multi Entry Tourist visa. I am thinking maybe getting a single Non O based on marriage from London for the first 90 days and then extending by 60 days. I would then have to travel to Laos to get another Non O for the remainder of my stay. Can anyone suggest anything else? 

If it all is too much trouble, I will just revert to my extension of stay but use an agent for 13,000 baht in Pattaya something I never wanted to do but now have limited options.

Are you asking for ethical approval from the forum members for using an agent? I have no issue and I think it is an excellent option. It benefits you and it benefits lots of people in Thailand starting from agent, their staff, IOs. It is a win-win situation. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reported offensive post removed, and response.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Are you asking for ethical approval from the forum members for using an agent? I have no issue and I think it is an excellent option. It benefits you and it benefits lots of people in Thailand starting from agent, their staff, IOs. It is a win-win situation. 

No not ethical approval and yes it might turn out to be the best option. I just resent doing it really, because it is so easy to do yourself. The OA was going to be so easy. I take out insurance anyway but just not expensive Thai insurance. From memory I think you use OA visas so its going to affect you too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
No not ethical approval and yes it might turn out to be the best option. I just resent doing it really, because it is so easy to do yourself. The OA was going to be so easy. I take out insurance anyway but just not expensive Thai insurance. From memory I think you use OA visas so its going to affect you too.
Yes I use O-A also I have an insurance which I intend to continue till I am eligible for Medicare in 6-year. Not sure if they will accept my insurance. I've decided to use an agent and abandon the idea of an O-A. Thai people don't have any idea of how health insurance should be structured to provide meaningful coverage. They don't have concepts of out of pocket expenses, deductible, co-insurance etc. As they understand agent better, I will use an agent rather than meeting with their inadequate fake insurance.

Sent from my Hi9plus using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

Yes I use O-A also I have an insurance which I intend to continue till I am eligible for Medicare in 6-year. Not sure if they will accept my insurance. I've decided to use an agent and abandon the idea of an O-A. Thai people don't have any idea of how health insurance should be structured to provide meaningful coverage. They don't have concepts of out of pocket expenses, deductible, co-insurance etc. As they understand agent better, I will use an agent rather than meeting with their inadequate fake insurance.

Sent from my Hi9plus using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
 

Again the victim card. Along with few threads re compulsory insurance for new O-A. 

Been on cards for some time. Agree another stupid move by Thailand. No doubt another way to suck money from farang. Bit similar to requirement of funds in bank for extensions based on retirement.

Bottom line. Find better alternative or move on. 

Better option than cry about it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are married to a Thai, then the Non-immigrant "O" is another option, but you will need to leave every 90 days. 

 

These are issued by Thai consulates outside Thailand and good for one year. Approximately $200 USD. 

 

Take care. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Removed a troll post (abusive language)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not obtain the Non Imm O ME Visa based on marriage to a Thai, at either HCMC or Savannakhet with no proof of funds required.

90 day entry + 60 day extension = 150 days.

1 x border run for another 90 days takes you to 8 months, with the option of another 60 day extension.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

90 day entry + 60 day extension = 150 days.

1 x border run for another 90 days takes you to 8 months, with the option of another 60 day extension.

Could you be more specific? Like based on the 1st day of entry being the 1st January as an example?

Edited by tcp7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...