Best Jasmine Rice Available in Thailand market. Cost NOT a Consideration. What Brand?

MisterBleach

Hello, 

I have just a very short question:

What is the best jasmine rice brand, and what is the best jasmine rice within the brand's offering?

For example, I just bought Dragon Brand in Chiang Mai from the local market.  However, there are many brands with the word dragon included.

I am always searching for the very best quality rice, i.e. with no broken kernels, and the most fragrant, etc.

I do not care how much I pay, within reason.

But, I just do not know much about buying jasmine rice in Thailand.

I would welcome suggestions.

And then, I would try various suggested brands to taste for myself.

Anyway, I live rice.

I live rice more than bread which some say is the staff of life.

If bread is the staff of life, then what is rice?

I will attach a photo of the rice I purchased today, and anyone who might know something about this brand is encouraged to offer an opinion.

Thank you.

Dragon Rice_Jasmine_5 Kgs.jpg

Madame insists on Golden Phoenix, marked as 100% and in the clear packaging (she says that in the silvered packing is too "new").

Tastes fine to me, but I'm no expert, I just eat what she cooks.

I think this is the stuff.

ShotType1_540x540.jpg

Most every town has a variety of rice stores selling out of open bags.  You can see the price difference, you can grab a handful and examine the grain, and if you can speak a bit of Thai or know someone who can, you can inquire about the tastiness with the owner.  

• Like 1

we usually get a 50kg sack from a rice vendor every 6 weeks...the step daughter takes care of it and I usually inspect a handful later on at home, whole kernels and clean with no rocks or other junk, they eat a lot of rice where I useta live in south america so I know sumpin' about it...tastes good too when cooked...

if you buy in bulk like we do best to get someone that knows what they're doin' to deal with the vendor...otherwise like with most things falang yer likely to get ripped off...

tutsi stumbles humping 50kgs of rice home from the market 'hurry up tuts, the kids are starvin'...'

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Madame insists on Golden Phoenix, marked as 100% and in the clear packaging (she says that in the silvered packing is too "new").

ShotType1_540x540.jpg

Thank you.

I will definitely try it.

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

ShotType1_540x540.jpg

Also, I think that very few are as caring or meticulous about the quality of rice they buy, unfortunately.

However, judging by your many posts here on Thaivisa, I judge that you have been here a very long time.

And, if your "better half" refuses to buy nothing other than this "Golden Phoenix" jasmine rice, then I really will buy it and steam it.

(I use a Panasonic steamer, which is probably the best brand I know.)

=====

One question that I do have, however:

Why does the packaging show Chinese Characters?  The only reason that I ask is that I am wondering if this packaging might be designed with Chinese characters because this product is destined for export.

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Everyone clearly knows, Thai "school rice" is the absolute best!!!  :cheesy:

Yes.  I agree.

However, perhaps it just tastes so good because young boys have huge appetites.

And, also because, the cooks at schools care about the children they cook for.

And, also because...the cooks are experts who cook larger batches of rice at one time.

I do not know the answer.

Sorry.

Note:  Of course, I know that you are joking...  But, I am not.

Edited by MisterBleach

• 2 months later...

Along these same lines:

Does anyone know of a brand or market selling Parboiled Thai Jasmine rice? 

I can find Thai Jasmine Rice in the market. I can find Thai Long Grained Parboiled Rice in the market. But I can't seem to find Thai Parboiled Jasmine Rice. Is there a reason for this, or do I just not know what I am supposed to be looking for?

I admit, I am not a rice connoisseur, so please forgive my ignorance. I am hoping to get Jasmine rice but with more of the nutrients than the plain white variety.

Thais don't eat parboiled rice, they do export them, but locally there's various stages of unpolished rice from brown to red, they're not easy cooked like parboiled rice though

Sellers in market weighing out of open bag usually has better rice than bagged stuff, you can choose between new and old grains and even which region the rice came from 

but this can be seasonal and not as consistent as the bagged stuff, great for variety but you have to adjust the water accordingly

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 9:08 PM, tutsiwarrior said:

otherwise like with most things falang yer likely to get ripped off.

Excuse me Guera, but other than some taxi drivers, tuk tuks or the gem scam artists outside that one temple in Bangkok, in general Thai people don't "rip people off".  

Neither do people in Latin America, where bargaining is key.  I would just say "Da me un buen precio" (Give me a good price) and they would drop the price down to the local price.

You must be thinking of the people who shop at Big C or Tops. 

I can definitely assure you they charge Hi-So Thais the same inflated prices they charge "falangs". ????

Of course it's better to buy from the local farmers or central market, much cheaper.

But many Thais will buy precooked rice at 7-Eleven, just because "easy".

Edited by SiSePuede419

Varieties of BROWN rice, Jasmine or Basmati, still contain their germ and bran layers, meaning they provide fitness buffs with a range of important nutrients including B vitamins, bone-building phosphorus, and magnesium. Although data shows that most people don't consume their daily quota of magnesium, this mineral is needed for proper muscle functioning. Low levels of magnesium may also contribute to or at least predict heart disease.