BANGKOK
MisterBleach

Best Jasmine Rice Available in Thailand market. Cost NOT a Consideration. What Brand?

Hello, 

I have just a very short question:

What is the best jasmine rice brand, and what is the best jasmine rice within the brand's offering?

For example, I just bought Dragon Brand in Chiang Mai from the local market.  However, there are many brands with the word dragon included.

I am always searching for the very best quality rice, i.e. with no broken kernels, and the most fragrant, etc.

I do not care how much I pay, within reason.

But, I just do not know much about buying jasmine rice in Thailand.

I would welcome suggestions.

And then, I would try various suggested brands to taste for myself.

Anyway, I live rice.

I live rice more than bread which some say is the staff of life.

If bread is the staff of life, then what is rice?

I will attach a photo of the rice I purchased today, and anyone who might know something about this brand is encouraged to offer an opinion.

Thank you.

Dragon Rice_Jasmine_5 Kgs.jpg

Madame insists on Golden Phoenix, marked as 100% and in the clear packaging (she says that in the silvered packing is too "new").

Tastes fine to me, but I'm no expert, I just eat what she cooks.

I think this is the stuff.

ShotType1_540x540.jpg

Most every town has a variety of rice stores selling out of open bags.  You can see the price difference, you can grab a handful and examine the grain, and if you can speak a bit of Thai or know someone who can, you can inquire about the tastiness with the owner.  

we usually get a 50kg sack from a rice vendor every 6 weeks...the step daughter takes care of it and I usually inspect a handful later on at home, whole kernels and clean with no rocks or other junk, they eat a lot of rice where I useta live in south america so I know sumpin' about it...tastes good too when cooked...

if you buy in bulk like we do best to get someone that knows what they're doin' to deal with the vendor...otherwise like with most things falang yer likely to get ripped off...

tutsi stumbles humping 50kgs of rice home from the market 'hurry up tuts, the kids are starvin'...'

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Madame insists on Golden Phoenix, marked as 100% and in the clear packaging (she says that in the silvered packing is too "new").

ShotType1_540x540.jpg

Thank you.

I will definitely try it.

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

ShotType1_540x540.jpg

Also, I think that very few are as caring or meticulous about the quality of rice they buy, unfortunately.

However, judging by your many posts here on Thaivisa, I judge that you have been here a very long time.

And, if your "better half" refuses to buy nothing other than this "Golden Phoenix" jasmine rice, then I really will buy it and steam it.

(I use a Panasonic steamer, which is probably the best brand I know.)

=====

One question that I do have, however:

Why does the packaging show Chinese Characters?  The only reason that I ask is that I am wondering if this packaging might be designed with Chinese characters because this product is destined for export.

42 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

tutsi stumbles humping 50kgs of rice home from the market 'hurry up tuts, the kids are starvin'...'

Everyone clearly knows, Thai "school rice" is the absolute best!!!  :cheesy:

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Everyone clearly knows, Thai "school rice" is the absolute best!!!  :cheesy:

Yes.  I agree.

However, perhaps it just tastes so good because young boys have huge appetites.

And, also because, the cooks at schools care about the children they cook for.

And, also because...the cooks are experts who cook larger batches of rice at one time.

I do not know the answer.

Sorry.

Note:  Of course, I know that you are joking...  But, I am not.

Edited by MisterBleach