Non Immigrant O visa for over 50 (Retired)

With the new regulations from end October this year,I am on a OA (retired) non immigrant visa extension original visa from Thai Embassy in London England, British passport holder.Do you think it would be possible to change to a non immigrant O visa extension (retired) or (married).or would I have to leave and come back on a 30 day visa exempt and then get a 90 day non immigrant from Jomtien then convert to a yearly extension. I have the funds in a Thai account for either of these .Do funds have to show coming from abroad for this change.i will be doing this at Jomtien Immigration.Any advice would be very welcome before I go to immigration later this month to do 90 day report and get advice from there and requirements needed.Thank you. 

You do not need to change. Insurance is not required for an extension of stay based upon retirement if that is what you are concerned about. Same if you applied for a extension based upon marriage.

If you were applying for another OA visa in London you would need it.

6 minutes ago, Davejf2017 said:

Ubonjoe, That was what i was worried about,thank you for your positive speedy response.

Martyp I got OA visa in London in April 2016

OK. So you are getting a real extension of stay and not just the second year of your original O-A visa. That is good.

I have read and watched a video on you tube from a Thai legal solicitors company stating that extensions of stay of a OA visa require health insurance and on a facebook forum "Thai visa advice" with comments from their moderators and admin stating insurance is required.So my options are to change to a non O extension for retirement or marriage.

9 minutes ago, Davejf2017 said:

I have read and watched a video on you tube from a Thai legal solicitors company stating that extensions of stay of a OA visa require health insurance and on a facebook forum "Thai visa advice" with comments from their moderators and admin stating insurance is required.So my options are to change to a non O extension for retirement or marriage.

Many of us are in the same boat so it's a case of wait and see what happens after 31 October, I think. One field of thought is that all visa categories will be targeted at some point so longer term, switching may not be that beneficial. But switching to an extension based on marriage may work and I now understand that can be done using an O-A visa so there's no need to switch to an O, apparently.

2 hours ago, Davejf2017 said:

A lot of misinformation is coming out from some law offices and Facebook groups.

There is no way the order states it applies to extensions of stay from old or new entries from a OA visa.

It only applies to entries from a new OA visas issued after the October 31st.

The mention of it in a police order is only so immigration at airports and border crossings can enforce it when people enter the country. 

• Like 2

Are neighboring country Thai embassies still issuing Non-O 90 day visas for purposes of retirement without proof of health insurance?

My bet this will be their strategy... Stop issuing any new visas of any kind without insurance... Then slowly weed out the existing visa holders by making extensions problematic...

Edited by sfokevin

25 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Are neighboring country Thai embassies still issuing Non-O 90 day visas for purposes of retirement without proof of health insurance?

Embassies and consulate are still issuing non-o visas for being 50 or over for retirement do not require insurance since it only applies to NON-OA and NON-OX visa

25 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

My bet this will be their strategy... Stop issuing any new visas of any kind without insurance... Then slowly weed out the existing visa holders by making extensions problematic...

Why would you think that? 

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Embassies and consulate are still issuing non-o visas for being 50 or over for retirement do not require insurance since it only applies to NON-OA and NON-OX visa

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

My bet this will be their strategy... Stop issuing any new visas of any kind without insurance... Then slowly weed out the existing visa holders by making extensions problematic..

Why would you think that? 

So you think this Insurance requirement is only going to apply to a small portion on the “risky foreigners”?... You do not think their long term goal is to make all long stay visitors have insurance?

27 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

So you think this Insurance requirement is only going to apply to a small portion on the “risky foreigners”?

Who or what are risky foreigners?

I am sure immigration does not think i am one.

27 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

You do not think their long term goal is to make all long stay visitors have insurance?

That is exactly what I think.

There are only looking at having it for those that are not truly here for a long stay that might bail out of the country to avoid paying for a hospital bill. I think they consider those using a OA visas to stay here in that category. 

Certainly not for those that are here on one year extensions of stay. Many have made Thailand their home and would not bail out to avoid paying a hospital bill.

• Like 1

Waiting for Ubonjoe to reply to this.A friend of mine age 66 went to renew his extension of stay on a OA (retirement) at Yasothon Immigration  which runs out this month and got the extension this year done but was told that when he renews next year that he will have to have health insurance as stated in the new requirements. 

8 minutes ago, Davejf2017 said:

Waiting for Ubonjoe to reply to this.A friend of mine age 66 went to renew his extension of stay on a OA (retirement) at Yasothon Immigration  which runs out this month and got the extension this year done but was told that when he renews next year that he will have to have health insurance as stated in the new requirements. 

I think it is a given that different offices will interpret the rules differently. Everyone will just have ask what their local office will require. Nothing new there.

• Like 1