BANGKOK
Genericnic

So now 800k baht AND insurance?

20 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

He's wrong, it's not about all retirement extensions. Just the O-A.

I don't think I'm wrong.

Firstly, I read section 6 of the police order as saying ' anybody who ENTERS Thailand on a non-immigrant O-A Visa must buy health insurance that covers the length of stay in the KINGDOM - not for the length of validity of the visa.

So, after entering with an O-A visa when getting an extension based on retirement you have continued your length of stay in the KINGDOM and could well be required to continue with the insurance until you physically exit Thailand, not when the O-A visa expires.

Which appears to be confirmed by what Tanoshi was told.

Edited by john terry1001

24 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

Firstly, I read section 6 of the police order as saying ' anybody who ENTERS Thailand on a non-immigrant O-A Visa must buy health insurance that covers the length of stay in the KINGDOM - not for the length of validity of the visa.

You are misquoting what it says.

image.png.db489b3a31cf727b1392f4c7362d757d.png

image.png.81af21309e8750dbe4896e93f4f5e1f7.png

30 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

I don't think I'm wrong.

So, after entering with an O-A visa when getting an extension based on retirement you have continued your length of stay in the KINGDOM and could well be required to continue with the insurance until you physically exit Thailand, not when the O-A visa expires.

Which appears to be confirmed by what Tanoshi was told.

Maybe what Max69xl (see below) was referring to when he said "all retirement extensions" was extensions for those who previously had Non O visas. In that case he is correct... I am not sure about extensions for those who previously had O-A visas before Oct 31. Only time will tell... in the next few months we should start hearing first-hand accounts whether it applies to extensions for those who previously had O-A visas before Oct 31.  
30 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:
36 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You are misquoting what it says.

image.png.db489b3a31cf727b1392f4c7362d757d.png

image.png.81af21309e8750dbe4896e93f4f5e1f7.png

I did just type out the information instead of cut/pasting the section as you have but I don't think I am misquoting. It is referring to visa class O-A, section 6 and:

It clearly says "must buy Thai health insurance

online, which covers the length of stay in the KINGDOM"

Now you might have a different interpretation for that section than I have but it definitely does NOT say 'for the length of validity of the O-A visa' anywhere in that section.

The information Tanoshi obtained from Immigration, both in Bangkok and his local office, I believe, is a lot closer to what I have said.

You may well be right and I might be totally wrong but, until we get an official definitive answer it's down purely speculation and opinion. Nothing more. 

We are all entitled to our opinions and I did not misquote as you have said, I used the exact wording that is written in The Police Order.

Edited by john terry1001

8 minutes ago, BertM said:

After all the threads and posts over the last few days, I don't believe Max69xl, who has posted so regularly could believe we were talking about retirement extensions that originated from a non O visa, especially as he was replying to my quote on the police order.

I believe he is separating the O-A visa from the subsequent retirement extension you would apply for and suggesting the insurance only applies to the visa.

Maybe Max69xl would clarify.

Only time will tell... in next few months, we should start seeing actual first-hand reports on whether it applies to extensions for those who had (pre-Oct 31) O-A visas when those people go for their extensions. It will take more than a year from now to learn if insurance will be required for extensions for the new O-A visas (post-Oct 31) when those people start going for their extensions in Nov 2020. Let's hope for the best for everyone's sake...

Edited by BertM

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Yes, accepted. But my response was limiting it to the first extension on an O-A permission  and only that , as read from @Tanoshi post 147. 

Bahamas dont make it easy either. Good Idea imo🤠

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

16 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

But my response was limiting it to the first extension on an O-A permission  and only that , as read from @Tanoshi post 147. 

I understand where you're coming from, regarding the wording. Only Tanoshi can say exactly what was said and only the IO's can give their individual interpretation of the police order (unless they are all issued with the same tick box 'idiot chart' to work with of course 😁). 

But for me, if as the Tanoshi post is suggesting, Immigration are going to all the trouble of requiring insurance for the validity of the O-A visa issued after 31st October and the first year's extension then, in my opinion, it would be totally illogical to then say all future extensions would not require insurance.

We already have different interpretations on the actual police order. Only time will tell. Either:

Insurance is required for O-A visas obtained after 31st October plus all subsequent extensions obtained from that O-A visa where the sequence isn't broken

OR

Tanoshi's questions could have been totally misunderstood and insurance is only required for the O-A visa and not required for any subsequent extensions.

1 hour ago, john terry1001 said:

After all the threads and posts over the last few days, I don't believe Max69xl, who has posted so regularly could believe we were talking about retirement extensions that originated from a non O visa, especially as he was replying to my quote on the police order.

I believe he is separating the O-A visa from the subsequent retirement extension you would apply for and suggesting the insurance only applies to the visa.

Maybe Max69xl would clarify.

Yes, I don't agree with the terminology "every retirement extension", when it's ONLY about the O-A Visa. 

34 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Yes, I don't agree with the terminology "every retirement extension", when it's ONLY about the O-A Visa

I have never suggested insurances would be required for any extensions based on non O visas. Whenever I have mentioned retirement extensions on this thread I thought I had always indicated I was talking about retirement extensions applied for on the back of an expiring O-A visa. Sorry if there's any confusion.

Are you suggesting though, that insurance for future retirement extensions based on O-A visas issued after 31st October will not be required ............. despite Tanoshi's post referring to Immigration comments that states the opposite? 

Edited by john terry1001

On 10/12/2019 at 6:58 PM, RichardColeman said:

I get this feeling that only Thai insurers will be acceptable in the future , to ensure that no farang company can withhold payment

With both Thai and foreign insurers, hospital will not provide care without receipt of a Guarantee of Payment.

It can sometimes take a bit longer with a foreign insurer due to time zone differences but really depends. Some foreign insurers are quicker to respond than local companies.

Many foreign insurers have well established direct billing arrangements with Thai hospitals. Some even have offices here in Thailand.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

With both Thai and foreign insurers, hospital will not provide care without receipt of a Guarantee of Payment.

It can sometimes take a bit longer with a foreign insurer due to time zone differences but really depends. Some foreign insurers are quicker to respond than local companies.

Many foreign insurers have well established direct billing arrangements with Thai hospitals. Some even have offices here in Thailand.

Definitely true. I have dealt with both Chiang Mai RAM and Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai and they both require letters of guarantee from my foreign insurer. The international insurance desk at Bangkok Hospital told me that they required the same from Thai insurance providers. 

As an aside, I had a major procedure done a Bangkok Hospital about 5 weeks ago. Total cost about 600k baht. My carrier's website shows claims filed and this claim had not been appearing. I went to the billing section at the hospital last week and they had not even filed the claim yet. I was amused. Maybe hospitals are not so desperate for money as they claim. 😀

David

Edited by Genericnic

49 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

There are more problems with Thai insurance companies concerning paying hospital bills,than with foreign. And every foreign insurance covers more. On top of that, who came up with the 40k for OPD? That's totally crazy. 

Edited by Max69xl

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Every major company in Europe have call centers which are open 24/7.