So now 800k baht AND insurance?

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

Yes, but even in this thread some people can't separate a visa and an extension of stay in their minds and get their knickers in a knot if anyone points out that there is a difference . . . in this case there's a difference in the requirements for the two.

So the O/P refers to "the fact" that you'll need 800k or 65k per month as well as insurance, conflating the requirements.

For what its worth, in one of the other threads information appears to be that at least in Chiang Mai, both 800k baht and insurance will be required for extensions for O-A retirement visas. While no guarantee, the information does come from one of the more reputable visa agents. 

David

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, glennb6 said:

hahahaha... when originally getting O-A visa in ussa a couple yrs ago I took the seemingly simple medical letter (printed off thai consulate website) to a number of clinics. It asked a) leprosy? b) elephantiasis? c) syphilus? d) TB?

Figured this would be simple and easy, like who has elephantiasis or leprosy in the states this century??? the clinics looked at the letter like I just flew in from Mars and wanted them to guarantee their life savings and first born with a signature that I was OK. 5 clinics in all, "oh no, we can't sign that! we don't have a test for leprosy..." Finally got a dr that I got it done with.

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/recognizes-thailands-success-eradicating-elephantiasis-201147 "Bangkok – The World Health Organization has praised Thailand for its achievement in eliminating elephantiasis, a human disease caused by parasitic worms. On behalf of Thailand, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha received a plaque of honor from WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus after the nation was declared an elephantiasis-free society."

As is well known, all foreigners ... oops, I mean space "aliens" ... in Thailand are infected with syphilis, elephantiasis, leprosy and so on, just like all crime is committed by aliens, never by Thai nationals. The assembled Thai doctors now all point in unison to the huge plastic wall chart, just like the Thai police do at a news conference.

Be sure and file your TM30 within 24 hours of when your space ship lands from Mars.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

I'm surprised they don't stipulate the effective date of the new rule, since the insurance is not technically a requirement on any visas issued in the next 2½ weeks. 

I did the on-line application yesterday and the insurance was not asked for.  The application took 4 hours to complete, the system keeps crashing and asks for documents you have already uploaded that are already shown so on the screen.  It is an utter shambles of a process.

The site also warns that the officer may only grant single entry not grant multi entry if he/she does not consider you have a need for one but they do not ask why you want multi entry. I have sent my marriage certificate to a Thai so we'll see.  The system also asks for proof of legal residence in the country you are applying from so applying in a nearby country is not possible anymore unless you have legal residence there.

All this is because they no longer issue non imm O-A multi entry anymore. I have a business and travel back to the UK frequently.

My doctor laughed at the medical certificate, listened to my chest so he could say he had examined me, filled in the form and charged me £15 for his 5 minutes.

Re the useless expensive insurance: I don't need it, I have annual travel insurance that covers 60 day trips with amounts multi times the Thai <deleted> and all for under £200 a year.  I do use a Thai international hospital but never claim even though I have had a bicycle and motor cycle accident, the latter cost me about 50,000bt out patient. I can easily self fund the amounts 40,000 and 400,000. 400,000 won't go far if one has a big problem. I also have NHS cover as I am UK resident and (huge) tax payer so I can merely return to the UK if need be.

I bring a lot of money to Thailand: wife, 2 step daughters 1 daughter, villa rental, marina fees, etc. and they are making this way too difficult for me.  If I have to buy the crappy insurance (£2,000 ish for my age) this will be the last year we remain in Thailand.

What the hell was the problem with the non imm O-A I have been getting for 10 years anyway?

Edited by Mises
paragraph missing
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

All the insurance requirements, got put on hold with no immediate forseeable plans to implement. Although everyone should have some. You never know when you might step into a puddle of water and get electrocuted, or fly off a balcony.

Is this correct ? Have all the insurance requirements really been put on hold ? Could be very significant for many people.

On 10/12/2019 at 5:19 PM, ubonjoe said:

There is no requirement for insurance to apply for a extension of stay.

It is only required when applying  for a OA long stay visa at a embassy or official consulate.

Everyone is jumping the gun again.  

On 10/12/2019 at 5:35 PM, Genericnic said:

Understood. I'll be applying for a new O-A visa in December at the RTE in Washington, D.C. so I will need insurance for that. Hopefully my state insurance will be sufficient for the RTE.

David

imagine you take an outpatient of 40k like they asked, but your USA insurance does not work with 40 k, that will be xx Us$

and imagine the baht getting even stronger ... there you go ... under insured and another excuse to not help you with your application

Rule is unambiguous, clear, and firm as of 31St of this month the royal police order shown on Integrity Legal utube today. I won't attempt to decipher it, but encourage you to go listen to our US attorney friend, and download the official order from the immigration website. I did, and a <deleted> like me understood it lol lol. 

26 minutes ago, justin case said:

imagine you take an outpatient of 40k like they asked, but your USA insurance does not work with 40 k, that will be xx Us$

and imagine the baht getting even stronger ... there you go ... under insured and another excuse to not help you with your application

Not sure I fully understand what you mean. If I take out the 40k baht policy and it doesn't cover what the cost is, my US insurance would. It just means that I would use the Thai policy first to make them pay to their limit before having my insurance kick in. 

David

On 10/12/2019 at 3:45 AM, ubonjoe said:

No info on the embassy website yet. You can find info about the insurance here. https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

Your insurance must meet these minimum  requirements.

"Health insurance policy must have coverage not less than 400,000 Thai Baht per policy year for Inpatient, and not less than 40,000 Thai Baht per policy year for outpatient."

Question,  O-A  which he said is applying does it required 800,000 baht or 65,000 baht monthly if not, then I think the guy is a bit confused?

1 minute ago, thailand49 said:

Question,  O-A  which he said is applying does it required 800,000 baht or 65,000 baht monthly if not, then I think the guy is a bit confused?

Hi. I'm the OP.

Guess I wasn't clear in my posting. I was referring to extensions of stay.

There is already a financial requirement for extensions - 800k baht or 65k baht per month. Based on my reading of the police order and a post from a reputable visa agent, at least in Chiang Mai there will be an insurance requirement for extensions starting 31 October. As we all know, nothing in Thailand is certain until it happens.

David

Just now, Genericnic said:

Hi. I'm the OP.

There is already a financial requirement for extensions - 800k baht or 65k baht per month. Based on my reading of the police order and a post from a reputable visa agent, at least in Chiang Mai there will be an insurance requirement for extensions starting 31 October. As we all know, nothing in Thailand is certain until it happens.

David

Wrong.

100% wrong.

This is not about extensions, it is about Non-Immigrant O-A Visas.

• Like 1

I have private hospital insurance. It is the 40,000 baht outpatient insurance that is the killer in terms of cost. I dropped my outpatient cover a year ago and my premium nearly halved.

If I need outpatient care I just go to the local clinic or public hospital for an average cost of 200 Baht. So 40,000 Baht would equal 200 visits. 

Like most people, my ATM card comes with accident insurance of several hundred thousand Baht. Is this included in any insurance requirements.

Edited by Stevemercer
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Wrong.

100% wrong.

This is not about extensions, it is about Non-Immigrant O-A Visas.

From the webpage of the RTE in Washington, DC concerning application requirements for O-A visas:

6. US or Thai bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is required

They have not updated their page to add the insurance requirement yet but the RTE in London has so, yes, it is about O-A visas and extensions.

David

Edited by Genericnic
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I have resisted getting involved with this thread. In the main because OP seems totally confused with a lot.

I am not prepared to read all the pages. Most posts from op naive to say the least. So originally on O-A. 

That's done. Extensions based on retirement for several years. That means the 800k already in place in Thai bank a/c. Due to need to return USA will miss next extension?

So what's the big deal. Obtain non o based on retirement either in USA or return to Thailand even visa exempt and do conversion to non o at imm. Then do the extension. Especially with possible new insurance for a new O-A.

What's the fuss.

7 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

They have not updated their page to add the insurance requirement yet but the RTE in London has so, yes, it is about O-A visas and extensions.

The language on the London Embassy site, or any other Thai embassy site, is only going to pertain to the visas they issue -- not to the extensions that Thai Immigration grants in country. But I believe you're right that the same rule is going to end up applying to retirement extensions.

From the London Embassy's website re O-A visas:

656430131_2019-10-1318_58_42.jpg.a2177097f8a28ea4f38ebdc1735795ef.jpg

Just now, DrJack54 said:

I have resisted getting involved with this thread. In the main because OP seems totally confused with a lot.

I am not prepared to read all the pages. Most posts from op naive to say the least. So originally on O-A. 

That's done. Extensions based on retirement for several years. That means the 800k already in place in Thai bank a/c. Due to need to return USA will miss next extension?

So what's the big deal. Obtain non o based on retirement either in USA or return to Thailand even visa exempt and do conversion to non o at imm. Then do the extension. Especially with possible new insurance for a new O-A.

What's the fuss.

In terms of the approaches you suggest above, could be this, for starters:

1416661820_2019-10-1318_52_25.jpg.189c58e11b429815de0451c5bf023238.jpg

20 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

Hi. I'm the OP.

David

OP, are you even reading the replies. Your O-A is long gone. You are living in los on "extensions of stay based on retirement". Why apply for another O-A when you return to USA. You don't need to. Your living in los. Many people for one reason or another miss their extension date. They simply apply for new non o.

(Not to be confused with non O-A) job done. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, are you even reading the replies. Your O-A is long gone. You are living in los on "extensions of stay based on retirement". Why apply for another O-A when you return to USA. You don't need to. Your living in los. Many people for one reason or another miss their extension date. They simply apply for new non o.

(Not to be confused with non O-A) job done. 

I do read them, thanks.

I will be applying for a new O-A (yes, I know my original one is long expired) because I will be out of Thailand during the time I could apply for a new extension. As for applying for a non-O rather than an O-A, the RTE web page only has two categories for doing a non-O: 1) staying with Thai family - I don't have a Thai family - and 2) volunteering - not doing that. So what category would you suggest using if I was to apply for a non-O?

David

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In terms of the approaches you suggest above, could be this, for starters:

1416661820_2019-10-1318_52_25.jpg.189c58e11b429815de0451c5bf023238.jpg

I mean this in friendly manner. I regard that as <deleted>. (I don't mean you bringing it to my attention)

Just so many Facebook come sideways posts, I just avoid them.

If that was to happen it would effect many. I don't believe it. 

IMHO the insurance thing for OA was to stop folk like me changing from extensions to OA. Given the recent requirement to maintain so much money in Thai bank (another good little earner for the blood suckers)

I was about to do that recently as I visit oz each year. Easy for me to obtain OA. Then the insurance stopped me. Just a theory.

2 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

I do read them, thanks.

I will be applying for a new O-A (yes, I know my original one is long expired) because I will be out of Thailand during the time I could apply for a new extension. As for applying for a non-O rather than an O-A, the RTE web page only has two categories for doing a non-O: 1) staying with Thai family - I don't have a Thai family - and 2) volunteering - not doing that. So what category would you suggest using if I was to apply for a non-O?

David

Oh sorry. You are below 50.

Meaning you cannot apply for non-o "based on retirement"?????

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Oh sorry. You are below 50.

Meaning you cannot apply for non-o "based on retirement"?????

Well above 50. Turn 70 this month.

As for based on retirement, I don't see that as any of the options the RTE lists.

David

Just now, Genericnic said:

Well above 50. Turn 70 this month.

As for based on retirement, I don't see that as any of the options the RTE lists.

David

David, hope I have not sounded harsh. So, you can obtain non o based on retirement. You can obtain that in USA. You could enter los visa exempt and do "conversion" to non o at immigration or you could obtain at nearby consulates. Vientiane only one suggestion. That gives you 90 day entry. Before expiry you addend imm and obtain 12 month permission of stay based on retirement. Then you will repeat every year. Forget about another NEW O-A when in USA.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

David, hope I have not sounded harsh. So, you can obtain non o based on retirement. You can obtain that in USA. You could enter los visa exempt and do "conversion" to non o at immigration or you could obtain at nearby consulates. Vientiane only one suggestion. That gives you 90 day entry. Before expiry you addend imm and obtain 12 month permission of stay based on retirement. Then you will repeat every year. Forget about another NEW O-A when in USA.

Thanks for that. Based on what I saw on the RTE website, I did not think retirement was an option for the non-O. Will definitely look at that as an option.

David

6 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

Thanks for that. Based on what I saw on the RTE website, I did not think retirement was an option for the non-O. Will definitely look at that as an option.

David

Its your best fit. Prior to the insurance rubbish O-A was good option. Esp for folk returning to home country every 2 years. Its appeal is not so strong now. As you know its multiple entry for first 12 months. A multi reentry permit for extensions is 3800baht. Anyway do the non o . Its a no brainer..

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

From the webpage of the RTE in Washington, DC concerning application requirements for O-A visas:

6. US or Thai bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is required

David

Wrong. This is unhelpful to say the least. Focus on Thailand, not the US.

4 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Wrong. This is unhelpful to say the least. Focus on Thailand, not the US.

That's good advice across the board. Think the OP was relying on incorrect info. I recall many years ago I went to Melbourne Thai consulate to apply for visa to "visit family or friend" (something like that). The Thai clerk advised "no longer have". I replied " why on web site. You need fix"

Classic Thai reply. "Not our problem"