So now 800k baht AND insurance?

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

Well the 800k is useless for any medical costs as you are not allowed to use it.

Its your money and you can do with it what you like. You might not get an extension of stay though. But you can start the visa approval again should you choose. it IS YOUR money. Anyone who says different are mischievous.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, glennb6 said:

hahahaha... when originally getting O-A visa in ussa a couple yrs ago I took the seemingly simple medical letter (printed off thai consulate website) to a number of clinics. It asked a) leprosy? b) elephantiasis? c) syphilus? d) TB?

Figured this would be simple and easy, like who has elephantiasis or leprosy in the states this century??? the clinics looked at the letter like I just flew in from Mars and wanted them to guarantee their life savings and first born with a signature that I was OK. 5 clinics in all, "oh no, we can't sign that! we don't have a test for leprosy..." Finally got a dr that I got it done with.

Good luck with getting two sigs from corporate directors from your medical mafia company...

There are still leper colonies in Myanmar which is sad considering it is a bacterial disease (the great majority of non immigrants come from Myanmar)

4 hours ago, Genericnic said:

For what its worth, in one of the other threads information appears to be that at least in Chiang Mai, both 800k baht and insurance will be required for extensions for O-A retirement visas. While no guarantee, the information does come from one of the more reputable visa agents. 

David

Define a reputable visa agent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mises said:

I did the on-line application yesterday and the insurance was not asked for.  The application took 4 hours to complete, the system keeps crashing and asks for documents you have already uploaded that are already shown so on the screen.  It is an utter shambles of a process.

The site also warns that the officer may only grant single entry not grant multi entry if he/she does not consider you have a need for one but they do not ask why you want multi entry. I have sent my marriage certificate to a Thai so we'll see.  The system also asks for proof of legal residence in the country you are applying from so applying in a nearby country is not possible anymore unless you have legal residence there.

All this is because they no longer issue non imm O-A multi entry anymore. I have a business and travel back to the UK frequently.

My doctor laughed at the medical certificate, listened to my chest so he could say he had examined me, filled in the form and charged me £15 for his 5 minutes.

Re the useless expensive insurance: I don't need it, I have annual travel insurance that covers 60 day trips with amounts multi times the Thai <deleted> and all for under £200 a year.  I do use a Thai international hospital but never claim even though I have had a bicycle and motor cycle accident, the latter cost me about 50,000bt out patient. I can easily self fund the amounts 40,000 and 400,000. 400,000 won't go far if one has a big problem. I also have NHS cover as I am UK resident and (huge) tax payer so I can merely return to the UK if need be.

I bring a lot of money to Thailand: wife, 2 step daughters 1 daughter, villa rental, marina fees, etc. and they are making this way too difficult for me.  If I have to buy the crappy insurance (£2,000 ish for my age) this will be the last year we remain in Thailand.

What the hell was the problem with the non imm O-A I have been getting for 10 years anyway?

Buy the right visa as a Huge taxpayer....or...Goodbye. Simples

Edited by emptypockets

Just now, Thingamabob said:

Repeat, 'concerning O-A visas.' You are confusing the issue by saying 'the same rule is going to end up replying to retirement extensions'. No evidence of that at all.

Of course there is... Read the new section 6 health insurance requirement relating to retirement extension requirements for people who've been issued OA visas.

Also, I didn't say it definitely will, or the current language clearly says, it will apply to retirement extensions. I said I believe the current language (and/or coming announcements of more rules) will end up having it apply to retirement extensions.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/12/2019 at 6:38 PM, hyku1147 said:

Yesterday, I asked a well established visa agent. He said that there is no impending requirement for health insurance when renewing an extension based on retirement.

The health insurance is only for new O-A Visas starting October 31, not for 1 year extensions based in retirement. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Of course there is... Read the new section 6 health insurance requirement relating to retirement extension requirements for people who've been issued OA visas.

Also, I didn't say it definitely will, or the current language clearly says, it will apply to retirement extensions. I said I believe the current language (and/or coming announcements of more rules) will end up having it apply to retirement extensions.

And maybe it will rain tomorrow. Or not. 

On 10/12/2019 at 6:38 PM, hyku1147 said:

Yesterday, I asked a well established visa agent. He said that there is no impending requirement for health insurance when renewing an extension based on retirement.

That is a coincidence, I ran into one in the Mall yesterday and we chatted and he said pretty much the same. Anyhow, I put away 400,000, TWICE, we got it covered!

Edited by jacko45k

Clearly the 800K is not to cover living or health care costs, as you can't even touch half of it, and have to leave all of it for 5 months of the year. It seems it is a requirement to weed out those who can't afford to keep 800K in the bank. 

Edited by lampangguy

13 hours ago, Genericnic said:

Hi. I'm the OP.

Guess I wasn't clear in my posting. I was referring to extensions of stay.

There is already a financial requirement for extensions - 800k baht or 65k baht per month. Based on my reading of the police order and a post from a reputable visa agent, at least in Chiang Mai there will be an insurance requirement for extensions starting 31 October. As we all know, nothing in Thailand is certain until it happens.

David

We are at page 3, not going to read to the end, but I think you might already have your answer?

To be clear you must be sure what you are applying for no expert but from all the discussion a O-A  isn't an O which is what the Retirement extension is label under.  And if you are applying for a "O" retirement you not need the insurance.  I've not heard anyone on this board regarding extensions being told by any of the Immigration throughout Thailand when applying for a "O" has to have insurance.

If people are confusing the O-A for the O, and the O for the O-A,  I'm not surprise others too even government? 

Now if "O" is what you want you then need to decide whether to use the 800,000 method or the Income 65,000, you not need both?

Now if I right above let's get back to the endless TM-30?????

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, saengd said:

A retirement visa can be either a type O or a type O-A visa, based on whether it was obtained inside Thailand or outside.

No such thing as a retirement visa. 

The non o (based on retirement) can be obtained at consulates outside of Thailand. Visas cannot be issues inside los, however a tourist visa or even visa exempt can be "converted" to non o for the purpose of retirement. The O-A is a multi entry visa obtained in own country. What's confusing is that even on Thai websites regarding O-A they have in brackets (retirement visa).

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, saengd said:

A retirement visa can be either a type O or a type O-A visa, based on whether it was obtained inside Thailand or outside.

All Visa are obtained outside Thailand! They are basically "authorisation to enter" and so no point to get them when you are already in :wink:

(Inside Thailand you can just - in a few precise cases - modify the type of your visa. Non-O to get a retirement extension by example)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

All Visa are obtained outside Thailand! They are basically "authorisation to enter" and so no point to get them when you are already in :wink:

(Inside Thailand you can just - in a few precise cases - modify the type of your visa. Non-O to get a retirement extension by example)

You can convert a tourist visa to a 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa at the local immigration office. Then after 60 days you can extend it 1 year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, saengd said:

The O comes from the 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa. That's the visa you start with,and then you can extend it after 60 days. 

15 hours ago, Genericnic said:

From the webpage of the RTE in Washington, DC concerning application requirements for O-A visas:

6. US or Thai bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is required

They have not updated their page to add the insurance requirement yet but the RTE in London has so, yes, it is about O-A visas and extensions.

David

You don't seem to have a clue. It's ONLY about the O-A Long Stay Visa obtained in your home country. You got the correct info almost straight away,and still you're rambling about extensions. Try to understand what you read. 

On 10/12/2019 at 8:29 PM, onera1961 said:

I think all US insurance has unlimited coverage including Catastrophic insurance after you meet your out of pocket expenses.  It is mandated in ACA. However, in recent years, after Trump admin removed the penalty for buying non-ACA compliant insurance, lots of deceptive insurance are spreading rapidly. I have a Catastrophic insurance with an HSA master card that currently has close ot 500K BHT, accumulated over 10 -years. My out  of pocket expense is 7600 USD which I can easily pay using my HSA master card. I paid 70K BHT in 2017 in Bangkok hospital and 3K Euro in 2016 in Amsterdam. 

Better read your insurance policy.  My large US insurance company, Anthem, only covers 6 months out of the country in a calendar year and only for life threatening treatment for my policy (good coverage in the US, not cheap).  Already had to use it once here in Thailand 3 yrs ago for hospitalization due to severe dehydration and it was a bitch to get them to settle.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

No such thing as a retirement visa. 

The non o (based on retirement) can be obtained at consulates outside of Thailand. Visas cannot be issues inside los, however a tourist visa or even visa exempt can be "converted" to non o for the purpose of retirement. The O-A is a multi entry visa obtained in own country. What's confusing is that even on Thai websites regarding O-A they have in brackets (retirement visa).

Agreed, I was too loose and not sufficiently specific in my terminology to be precise, my apologies.

I, like many/most others, refer to my O-A visa based on retirement (because it has the word retirement stamped on it), as a retirement visa! I shall try harder. 

The reason I was being pedantic is that the OP is totally confused. He thinks he has to obtain new non O-A. He thinks he has been extending it for last several years. He can obtain non O in usa and return to los then obtain 12 month "permission of stay based on retirement". Heck he could even return with setv or visa exempt and obtain " conversion" at imm. 

This has been pointed out several times. Now the thread has morphed into discussion about insurance and what it covers etc. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 3:19 AM, ubonjoe said:

There is no requirement for insurance to apply for a extension of stay.

It is only required when applying  for a OA long stay visa at a embassy or official consulate.

So a US person could instead get the O ( do the convert SETV to O Visa thing) in Thailand to stay that first year of retirement and that would not require insurance.  How does that make any sense? 

15 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

So a US person could instead get the O ( do the convert SETV to O Visa thing) in Thailand to stay that first year of retirement and that would not require insurance.  How does that make any sense? 

Rules have been changing/adjusted for several years in an (half-hearted) attempt to stop various abuses of the system. I think, if too many people use the 'SETV/VE to non O conversion' in an attempt to bypass the O-A insurance requirements then that SETV/VE option will be severely restricted.

4 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

Rules have been changing/adjusted for several years in an (half-hearted) attempt to stop various abuses of the system. I think, if too many people use the 'SETV/VE to non O conversion' in an attempt to bypass the O-A insurance requirements then that SETV/VE option will be severely restricted.

The conversion from SETV to a 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa is totally accepted by Immigration and they charge you 2000 baht for it. The extension cost 1900 baht. 3900 baht is not a bad deal for any immigration office. But compared to the amount of Non-Immigrant O Visas obtained outside Thailand, there aren't that many inside Thailand. Desk 7 at Jomtien Immigration are totally empty some days every week. Don't forget that every foreigner with a 1 year extension doesn't stay the whole year. Many uses re-entry permits.