So now 800k baht AND insurance?

32 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

So a US person could instead get the O ( do the convert SETV to O Visa thing) in Thailand to stay that first year of retirement and that would not require insurance.  How does that make any sense? 

Just because you extend your Non-Immigrant O Visa 1 year doesn't mean you're staying one year. The price is the same,1900 baht. But it's more likely that a person applying for the O-A Long Stay based on retirement from his/her home country will stay the whole year. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

The reason I was being pedantic is that the OP is totally confused. He thinks he has to obtain new non O-A. He thinks he has been extending it for last several years. He can obtain non O in usa and return to los then obtain 12 month "permission of stay based on retirement". Heck he could even return with setv or visa exempt and obtain " conversion" at imm. 

This has been pointed out several times. Now the thread has morphed into discussion about insurance and what it covers etc. 

Whilst I agree with most of what you are saying it is not quite as simple as what you are saying about obtaining a non O based on retirement in ones own country. To obtain a non O based on retirement you have to satisfy the criteria below. Now as the OP is over 70 I think he will qualify but not everyone over 50 does. The following below is from the UK Thai Embassy website. As state pension age in the UK is 65 upwards not everyone over 50 qualifies.

• Non-Immigrant Type (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)
  •  
  • Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland

3 minutes ago, jimn said:

Whilst I agree with most of what you are saying it is not quite as simple as what you are saying about obtaining a non O based on retirement in ones own country. To obtain a non O based on retirement you have to satisfy the criteria below. Now as the OP is over 70 I think he will qualify but not everyone over 50 does. The following below is from the UK Thai Embassy website. As state pension age in the UK is 65 upwards not everyone over 50 qualifies.

• Non-Immigrant Type (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)
  •  
  • Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000

In many countries in the EU the required sum if not retired is 50% less compared to the UK. If you don't have £5k to show, then you can't afford staying in Thailand. I don't know why the sum is £10k in the UK and Ireland. In some neighbouring countries to Thailand there are no financial requirements at all. People just need to know how and where to apply for the 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa. 

6 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

In many countries in the EU the required sum if not retired is 50% less compared to the UK. If you don't have £5k to show, then you can't afford staying in Thailand. I don't know why the sum is £10k in the UK and Ireland. In some neighbouring countries to Thailand there are no financial requirements at all. People just need to know how and where to apply for the 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa. 

OK fair comment. My reply was really for #DrJack54. A non O based on retirement from ones own country is not automatically available to everyone over 50. You must have a state pension.

1 hour ago, jimn said:

•  

So get an non o in example Vientiane. 

1 hour ago, jimn said:

OK fair comment. My reply was really for #DrJack54. A non O based on retirement from ones own country is not automatically available to everyone over 50. You must have a state pension.

And I gave 3 other options.

Arrive visa exempt and do conversion to non o at imm.

Arrive with setv and do the same.

Obtain non o at consulate neighbouring countries Vietnam just one example

2 hours ago, jimn said:

•  

A 3 months of bank statements of showing a balance not going under £10,000 suffices the need to show a pension.
Notice the 'or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000'

2 hours ago, jimn said:

Whilst I agree with most of what you are saying it is not quite as simple as what you are saying about obtaining a non O based on retirement in ones own country. //

In fact it's just not possible anymore for those who depends of the new Thai online visa system. Being over 50, or even a pensioner, does not make you qualify for a Non O. This online system should extend to many countries in a near future.

21 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

In fact it's just not possible anymore for those who depends of the new Thai online visa system. Being over 50, or even a pensioner, does not make you qualify for a Non O. This online system should extend to many countries in a near future.

Your link shows another category, not the one for the Non-Immigrant O based on retirement. Choose correct category and everything will be fine. 

Better read your insurance policy.  My large US insurance company, Anthem, only covers 6 months out of the country in a calendar year and only for life threatening treatment for my policy (good coverage in the US, not cheap).  Already had to use it once here in Thailand 3 yrs ago for hospitalization due to severe dehydration and it was a bitch to get them to settle.
I have United health, the largest health insurance company in the world. I don't have any limit but outside US it must be an emergency. Blood in urine and chest pain was considered emergency and covered. According to them I am still a us resident but I live 3/4 months in US, 3 months in spain, and 5/6 months in Thailand

Sent from my Hi9plus using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The reason I was being pedantic is that the OP is totally confused. He thinks he has to obtain new non O-A. He thinks he has been extending it for last several years. He can obtain non O in usa and return to los then obtain 12 month "permission of stay based on retirement". Heck he could even return with setv or visa exempt and obtain " conversion" at imm. 
This has been pointed out several times. Now the thread has morphed into discussion about insurance and what it covers etc. 
Non O for retirement is not available in the US. Available only for family visit and volunteer work

Sent from my Hi9plus using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

30 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

The Home page does not show every type of visa. You have to register and activate the account to be able to see every type.

I was already registered... but after several tests (in fact lot of tests :wink:) I found that if I change my nationality and address to UK, then the menus are not exactly the same...

This "pensioner 50+" option may be a UK thing only... :ermm:

On 10/12/2019 at 6:58 PM, RichardColeman said:

I get this feeling that only Thai insurers will be acceptable in the future , to ensure that no farang company can withhold payment

Correction:

to ensure that no farang company can withhold payment only Thai insurance companies reap the benefits.

9 hours ago, saengd said:

A retirement visa can be either a type O or a type O-A visa, based on whether it was obtained inside Thailand or outside.

Not true. Over 50's were able to get non O visas from the UK up until a few years ago (maybe around nine/ten). They didn't have to be married to a Thai or have Thai dependants.  Also since then, people married to a Thai and/or have Thai dependants could obtain a Non O visa from their home country then apply for an extension based on retirement at Thai Immigration.

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

I was already registered... but after several tests (in fact lot of tests :wink:) I found that if I change my nationality and address to UK, then the menus are not exactly the same...

This "pensioner 50+" option may be a UK thing only... :ermm:

That's possible. In my opinion a strange way to apply for a visa that is supposed to involve a visa sticker. 

31 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

Not true. Over 50's were able to get non O visas from the UK up until a few years ago (maybe around nine/ten). They didn't have to be married to a Thai or have Thai dependants.  Also since then, people married to a Thai and/or have Thai dependants could obtain a Non O visa from their home country then apply for an extension based on retirement at Thai Immigration.

I don't think someone who are married to a Thai would apply for a 1 year extension based on retirement,unless he is stupid. 

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Many people do so!

Requirements and processing are a lot easier for Retirement than for Marriage; mainly you don't needse stupid photos in/out the house, you don't need tonnes of documents about your wife, house marriage... and you will not have a visit from Immigration Officers...

Indeed, I'm one of those "stupid" people who do that for exactly the reasons you've set out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I don't think someone who are married to a Thai would apply for a 1 year extension based on retirement,unless he is stupid. 

Loads of people do it. I know there is a difference in the finaces for a marriage but many offices make you jump through hoops thats why many people myself included have done it for years, up until my latest one expires of course.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jimn said:

Loads of people do it. I know there is a difference in the finaces for a marriage but many offices make you jump through hoops thats why many people myself included have done it for years, up until my latest one expires of course.

I don't think loads of people do it. Some maybe. You learn what your immigration office requires. And everybody doesn't stay out in the sticks. 

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, saengd said:

Indeed, I'm one of those "stupid" people who do that for exactly the reasons you've set out.

Just because you have problems with the documents doesn't mean everyone have the same problem,and you learn what your local office requires. Every immigration office isn't the same. 

Add me to the list of O-A folks who does the retirement extensions of stay thing for 11 times so far vs doing the marriage extension (I do have one each Thai wife).  I know quite a few farangs that go the retirement extension of stay route on their underlying Non 0 and Non O-A visas.  Why?  Because the paperwork is less...fewer trips to the immigration office...no need to get he wife involved....and the individuals have the required money to cover the higher retirement income requirement, to have immediate access emergency funds, investment, etc.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pib said:

Add me to the list of O-A folks who does the retirement extensions of stay thing for 11 times so far vs doing the marriage extension (I do have one each Thai wife).  I know quite a few farangs that go the retirement extension of stay route on their underlying Non 0 and Non O-A visas.  Why?  Because the paperwork is less...fewer trips to the immigration office...no need to get he wife involved....and the individuals have the required money to cover the higher retirement income requirement, to have immediate access emergency funds, investment, etc.

The paperwork is the same every year and you learn what the immigration office requires. And everybody doesn't stay out in the sticks. What's the problem getting the wife involved? If you read the posts here at TVF, what are people whining about the most? Money! 

The paperwork is the same every year and you learn what the immigration office requires. And everybody doesn't stay out in the sticks. What's the problem getting the wife involved? If you read the posts here at TVF, what are people whining about the most? Money! 

Then, what you should have said is that those that are more strapped for cash will go the marriage route. For those that aren’t (strapped for cash) they would be stupid to go the marriage route when the retirement route is much less hassle, regardless of the immigration office.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2