BANGKOK
Genericnic

So now 800k baht AND insurance?

4 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

Rules have been changing/adjusted for several years in an (half-hearted) attempt to stop various abuses of the system. I think, if too many people use the 'SETV/VE to non O conversion' in an attempt to bypass the O-A insurance requirements then that SETV/VE option will be severely restricted.

The conversion from SETV to a 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa is totally accepted by Immigration and they charge you 2000 baht for it. The extension cost 1900 baht. 3900 baht is not a bad deal for any immigration office. But compared to the amount of Non-Immigrant O Visas obtained outside Thailand, there aren't that many inside Thailand. Desk 7 at Jomtien Immigration are totally empty some days every week. Don't forget that every foreigner with a 1 year extension doesn't stay the whole year. Many uses re-entry permits. 

32 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

So a US person could instead get the O ( do the convert SETV to O Visa thing) in Thailand to stay that first year of retirement and that would not require insurance.  How does that make any sense? 

Just because you extend your Non-Immigrant O Visa 1 year doesn't mean you're staying one year. The price is the same,1900 baht. But it's more likely that a person applying for the O-A Long Stay based on retirement from his/her home country will stay the whole year. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

The reason I was being pedantic is that the OP is totally confused. He thinks he has to obtain new non O-A. He thinks he has been extending it for last several years. He can obtain non O in usa and return to los then obtain 12 month "permission of stay based on retirement". Heck he could even return with setv or visa exempt and obtain " conversion" at imm. 

This has been pointed out several times. Now the thread has morphed into discussion about insurance and what it covers etc. 

Whilst I agree with most of what you are saying it is not quite as simple as what you are saying about obtaining a non O based on retirement in ones own country. To obtain a non O based on retirement you have to satisfy the criteria below. Now as the OP is over 70 I think he will qualify but not everyone over 50 does. The following below is from the UK Thai Embassy website. As state pension age in the UK is 65 upwards not everyone over 50 qualifies.

• Non-Immigrant Type (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)
  •  
  • Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland

3 minutes ago, jimn said:

Whilst I agree with most of what you are saying it is not quite as simple as what you are saying about obtaining a non O based on retirement in ones own country. To obtain a non O based on retirement you have to satisfy the criteria below. Now as the OP is over 70 I think he will qualify but not everyone over 50 does. The following below is from the UK Thai Embassy website. As state pension age in the UK is 65 upwards not everyone over 50 qualifies.

• Non-Immigrant Type (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)
  •  
  • Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000

In many countries in the EU the required sum if not retired is 50% less compared to the UK. If you don't have £5k to show, then you can't afford staying in Thailand. I don't know why the sum is £10k in the UK and Ireland. In some neighbouring countries to Thailand there are no financial requirements at all. People just need to know how and where to apply for the 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa. 

6 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

In many countries in the EU the required sum if not retired is 50% less compared to the UK. If you don't have £5k to show, then you can't afford staying in Thailand. I don't know why the sum is £10k in the UK and Ireland. In some neighbouring countries to Thailand there are no financial requirements at all. People just need to know how and where to apply for the 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa. 

OK fair comment. My reply was really for #DrJack54. A non O based on retirement from ones own country is not automatically available to everyone over 50. You must have a state pension.

1 hour ago, jimn said:

•  

So get an non o in example Vientiane. 

1 hour ago, jimn said:

OK fair comment. My reply was really for #DrJack54. A non O based on retirement from ones own country is not automatically available to everyone over 50. You must have a state pension.

And I gave 3 other options.

Arrive visa exempt and do conversion to non o at imm.

Arrive with setv and do the same.

Obtain non o at consulate neighbouring countries Vietnam just one example

2 hours ago, jimn said:

•  

A 3 months of bank statements of showing a balance not going under £10,000 suffices the need to show a pension.
Notice the 'or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000'

2 hours ago, jimn said:

Whilst I agree with most of what you are saying it is not quite as simple as what you are saying about obtaining a non O based on retirement in ones own country. //

In fact it's just not possible anymore for those who depends of the new Thai online visa system. Being over 50, or even a pensioner, does not make you qualify for a Non O. This online system should extend to many countries in a near future.

21 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

In fact it's just not possible anymore for those who depends of the new Thai online visa system. Being over 50, or even a pensioner, does not make you qualify for a Non O. This online system should extend to many countries in a near future.

Your link shows another category, not the one for the Non-Immigrant O based on retirement. Choose correct category and everything will be fine. 

16 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Your link shows another category, not the one for the Non-Immigrant O based on retirement. Choose correct category and everything will be fine. 

Uh?? And where please?

Here is the home page of ThaiEVisa. I see only one link for Non-O...

Better read your insurance policy.  My large US insurance company, Anthem, only covers 6 months out of the country in a calendar year and only for life threatening treatment for my policy (good coverage in the US, not cheap).  Already had to use it once here in Thailand 3 yrs ago for hospitalization due to severe dehydration and it was a bitch to get them to settle.
I have United health, the largest health insurance company in the world. I don't have any limit but outside US it must be an emergency. Blood in urine and chest pain was considered emergency and covered. According to them I am still a us resident but I live 3/4 months in US, 3 months in spain, and 5/6 months in Thailand

Sent from my Hi9plus using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The reason I was being pedantic is that the OP is totally confused. He thinks he has to obtain new non O-A. He thinks he has been extending it for last several years. He can obtain non O in usa and return to los then obtain 12 month "permission of stay based on retirement". Heck he could even return with setv or visa exempt and obtain " conversion" at imm. 
This has been pointed out several times. Now the thread has morphed into discussion about insurance and what it covers etc. 
Non O for retirement is not available in the US. Available only for family visit and volunteer work

9 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Non O for retirement is not available in the US. Available only for family visit and volunteer work

Really! What about the other options I provided. The op is totally confused with extensions and non O-A.

44 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Uh?? And where please?

Here is the home page of ThaiEVisa. I see only one link for Non-O...

You must register first and activate the account. There are loads of different purposes of visas. Look at this screenshot:

Screenshot_20191014-164159.png

• Like 1