BANGKOK
Genericnic

So now 800k baht AND insurance?

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

This online system should extend to many countries in a near future.

Then it becomes a real problem. You cannot apply for any visa in a country using E visa unless you are a resident or have a long term leave to remain in that country.

28 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Non O for retirement is not available in the US. Available only for family visit and volunteer work

Sent from my Hi9plus using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The Home page does not show every type of visa. You have to register and activate the account to be able to see every type.

30 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

The Home page does not show every type of visa. You have to register and activate the account to be able to see every type.

I was already registered... but after several tests (in fact lot of tests :wink:) I found that if I change my nationality and address to UK, then the menus are not exactly the same...

This "pensioner 50+" option may be a UK thing only... :ermm:

9 hours ago, saengd said:

A retirement visa can be either a type O or a type O-A visa, based on whether it was obtained inside Thailand or outside.

Thanks, based on your answer it wouldn't make sense to the ops to do it outside?

On 10/12/2019 at 6:58 PM, RichardColeman said:

I get this feeling that only Thai insurers will be acceptable in the future , to ensure that no farang company can withhold payment

Correction:

to ensure that no farang company can withhold payment only Thai insurance companies reap the benefits.

9 hours ago, saengd said:

A retirement visa can be either a type O or a type O-A visa, based on whether it was obtained inside Thailand or outside.

Not true. Over 50's were able to get non O visas from the UK up until a few years ago (maybe around nine/ten). They didn't have to be married to a Thai or have Thai dependants.  Also since then, people married to a Thai and/or have Thai dependants could obtain a Non O visa from their home country then apply for an extension based on retirement at Thai Immigration.

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

I was already registered... but after several tests (in fact lot of tests :wink:) I found that if I change my nationality and address to UK, then the menus are not exactly the same...

This "pensioner 50+" option may be a UK thing only... :ermm:

That's possible. In my opinion a strange way to apply for a visa that is supposed to involve a visa sticker. 

31 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

Not true. Over 50's were able to get non O visas from the UK up until a few years ago (maybe around nine/ten). They didn't have to be married to a Thai or have Thai dependants.  Also since then, people married to a Thai and/or have Thai dependants could obtain a Non O visa from their home country then apply for an extension based on retirement at Thai Immigration.

I don't think someone who are married to a Thai would apply for a 1 year extension based on retirement,unless he is stupid. 

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Many people do so!

Requirements and processing are a lot easier for Retirement than for Marriage; mainly you don't needse stupid photos in/out the house, you don't need tonnes of documents about your wife, house marriage... and you will not have a visit from Immigration Officers...

Indeed, I'm one of those "stupid" people who do that for exactly the reasons you've set out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I don't think someone who are married to a Thai would apply for a 1 year extension based on retirement,unless he is stupid. 

Loads of people do it. I know there is a difference in the finaces for a marriage but many offices make you jump through hoops thats why many people myself included have done it for years, up until my latest one expires of course.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jimn said:

Loads of people do it. I know there is a difference in the finaces for a marriage but many offices make you jump through hoops thats why many people myself included have done it for years, up until my latest one expires of course.

I don't think loads of people do it. Some maybe. You learn what your immigration office requires. And everybody doesn't stay out in the sticks. 

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, saengd said:

Indeed, I'm one of those "stupid" people who do that for exactly the reasons you've set out.

Just because you have problems with the documents doesn't mean everyone have the same problem,and you learn what your local office requires. Every immigration office isn't the same. 

Add me to the list of O-A folks who does the retirement extensions of stay thing for 11 times so far vs doing the marriage extension (I do have one each Thai wife).  I know quite a few farangs that go the retirement extension of stay route on their underlying Non 0 and Non O-A visas.  Why?  Because the paperwork is less...fewer trips to the immigration office...no need to get he wife involved....and the individuals have the required money to cover the higher retirement income requirement, to have immediate access emergency funds, investment, etc.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pib said:

Add me to the list of O-A folks who does the retirement extensions of stay thing for 11 times so far vs doing the marriage extension (I do have one each Thai wife).  I know quite a few farangs that go the retirement extension of stay route on their underlying Non 0 and Non O-A visas.  Why?  Because the paperwork is less...fewer trips to the immigration office...no need to get he wife involved....and the individuals have the required money to cover the higher retirement income requirement, to have immediate access emergency funds, investment, etc.

The paperwork is the same every year and you learn what the immigration office requires. And everybody doesn't stay out in the sticks. What's the problem getting the wife involved? If you read the posts here at TVF, what are people whining about the most? Money!