BANGKOK

If you walk too fast in Bangkok, you get a wet shirt, then you freeze on the BTS, in the office and in the malls.

• Like 1

At work I've noticed a direct correlation with the speed and focus with which people do every day activities (such as walking around) and their general intelligence and capacity to do their job... 

15 hours ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

There’s no way these toxic cultural norms will change if someone doesn’t regularly shame them and call them out. 

that doesnt work, they dont learn.  what u r proposing would require a new edu and culture syatem.

• Confused 1

wear jesus shoes for speed, 3,000 Dollars for trainers containing holy water and we laugh about their amulets !

I have alll my life walked quite quickly, however spare a thought to people who have health issues, for example I have back issues and muscle atrophy and literally cannot walk quickly at all, if I try then over I go!  So please just remember its as annoying for me as its it might be for you.  Thanks

19 hours ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Absolutely correct. The slow walking, glued-to-the-phone obliviousness is maddening here.

If someone on their phone is about to collide directly with me, I stop dead in my tracks and look them straight in the face. When they finally get a few inches from me and realize they’re about to collide with someone because they aren’t watching where they’re walking, the look they give is always priceless. 

You seem to have anger issues, you should chill a little about things that

really don't matter that much.

• Like 1

Appreciate that some people have health issues, but although I’m in my sixties, I walk so much faster than 99% of people in Thailand that it almost seems that I’m living in a different time dimension. On the very rare occasion that I see a Thai lady moving fast, I make sure to completely get out of her way, as it must be a matter of life-or-death.

• Haha 1

"no spatial awareness"

What's that when it's at home?

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

no spatial awareness"

What's that when it's at home?

youve heard of google right ?

if not google is  a web page where people like yourself can go and ask questions to things they would like to know 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

although I’m in my sixties, I walk so much faster than 99% of people in Thailand that it almost seems that I’m living in a different time dimension

And my dimension let's you pass quickly to your destination because your likely going to die sooner than later.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

Appreciate that some people have health issues, but although I’m in my sixties, I walk so much faster than 99% of people in Thailand that it almost seems that I’m living in a different time dimension. On the very rare occasion that I see a Thai lady moving fast, I make sure to completely get out of her way, as it must be a matter of life-or-death.

16 hours ago, andy72 said:

Synchronicity or what, 10 mins ago I was looking at this. Slow walking in Thailand is obviously a climate thing, watching the Farangs rushing from air-conditioned environment to air conditioned environment is a bit of a spectator sport with me, it gets especially interesting when they meet that motorsi coming down the road the wrong way. Ten years here has made me a sloth, a lizard; do I lose by it, probably not. Like, as a retired guy, I have all the time in the world. Now ain't that strange, as a young guy, with all the time in the world, almost immortal really, I was rushing everywhere; and as an old guy, with mortality pressing on me, from deaths of family and loved ones, I take my time.