Looking for advice on what to buy

mcl2504

I want to buy a new small car, probably a hatchback. I'm looking at the Toyota Yaris, Suzuki Swift, Nissan March, Honda Jazz, or Mazda 2. Anyone have any experience with any of these, good or bad? Any thoughts about quality, need for maintenance, etc.? Value for money? Are there any duds in that group? Anything outstanding? I'm interested in any feedback you can give!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a new honda city coming soon 1.0 turbo, 120hp, 200nm and fuel economy +23km/l (by the ecocar phase 2 rules). The new jaz will come after that sometime. There is also a new almera coming as well. I would go for the new city for its size and power over the ecocars you mentioned. The city will be released sometime in November. My wife has a 2.13 swift and we may sell that to get the city if she likes it. I don't mind the swift, but I much prefer to drive our crv, especially on longer trips. 

http://www.headlightmag.com/all-new-honda-city-coming-thailand-2019/

I have a Jazz, chose it for its large carry capacity, it has carried more than its fair share of DIY materials ( sand, cement , 2.5m lengths of pvc/wood/ steel etc ), certainly the most flexible hatchback among your list.
Has also carried me and the gf 55,000 km’s around Thailand in the last 3 years without any complaints.

Have no experience of the others but the Jazz has served me admirably.

25 minutes ago, transam said:

I like the Swift....

I like mine, but on the 2013 model the caliper pins are not too good. They get noisy after a while. I will be changing mine again at the next service. Greasing them will quieten them but only lasts a couple of months. Apart from that, no other complaints. I'm sure the new model is better all around. 

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

Greasing them will quieten them but only lasts a couple of months. Apart from that, no other complaints. I'm sure the new model is better all around. 

Don't use grease - washes out. Use Neverseez - or Koprkote

neverseez.jpg

koprkote.jpg

4 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Don't use grease - washes out. Use Neverseez - or Koprkote

neverseez.jpg

koprkote.jpg

Unfortunately, that may not work on caliper slider pins. My next set of pins may be the last set anyway, as I will sell this car in a few years time when my wife retires (and wants something nicer to drive).  

image.png

13 hours ago, DavisH said:

I like mine, but on the 2013 model the caliper pins are not too good. They get noisy after a while. I will be changing mine again at the next service. Greasing them will quieten them but only lasts a couple of months. Apart from that, no other complaints. I'm sure the new model is better all around. 

Our Celerio is the same, my Suzuki dealer has a fix, they put in thin slithers of alloy to take out the slack, they never charge for the fix, car is 5 years old now...

For me, Mazda 2 is the pick of the bunch because it has a six-speed automatic gearbox that can be switched to manual mode. Most of the rest have CVT's, which I find disturbing because I don't feel in control of the car, plus CVT's require stringent adherence to maintenance schedules.

We Had a Chevy colorado pickup that we bought new, When we went back in the US to work rather than keep it on blocks we sold it , with the idea that we will rent a car the few and short time we visit while working in the US. BIG mistake !! we ended up coming more often that we thought and the wife saying longer , and renting became too expensive.  

So we looked for an inexpensive car with some utility, to use while we were there.

My wife has a friend from her village, who sells used cars,  When we told her what we were looking for, she told as she had a 2014 Mitsubishi mirage hatchback that was clean, low milage and  would give as a good price on it. We bought it two years ago, and never had a problem with it, Great for running around Khon Kaen. We were so impressed with Mitsubishi that when we went back in the US we bought a new Mitsubishi Outlander.  Sister in law. in Thailand  was impressed enough that she also  bought a Mitsubishi Attrage.

On 10/16/2019 at 5:45 PM, DavisH said:

There's shims for that.

Trunk space is better on others if you need to carry stuff regularly. Best driver of your options IMO.

Brought ours back from Phuket last year and I should have had it trailered. Good around town though.

14 hours ago, transam said:

Our Celerio is the same, my Suzuki dealer has a fix, they put in thin slithers of alloy to take out the slack, they never charge for the fix, car is 5 years old now...

I will check with them next time I go, Thanks. I've seen some videos of people using pieces of coke can to do that 55

On 10/13/2019 at 2:04 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

I have a Jazz, chose it for its large carry capacity, it has carried more than its fair share of DIY materials ( sand, cement , 2.5m lengths of pvc/wood/ steel etc ), certainly the most flexible hatchback among your list.
Has also carried me and the gf 55,000 km’s around Thailand in the last 3 years without any complaints.

Have no experience of the others but the Jazz has served me admirably.

Jazz at  12 years / 255,000 km, still going strong..... I will buy another Jazz when this one finally pops its clogs..

1 minute ago, ross163103 said:

I've had a Jazz and currently own a Swift; both were/are very reliable but would take the Jazz over the Swift just on build quality. Swift feels cheaply made Jazz doesn't.

What is the price difference for similar specs between the two..?

1 hour ago, mickey rat said:

You tell us, Google it while keeping in mind Honda has more carrying capacity, higher resale value in addition to what Ross posted. 

Top of the line for each..

Jazz RS+ 754k

Swift GLX-Navi 629k

Mazda 2 Sports High + 670k

I have an older Mazda 2 and love it...

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:20 PM, DavisH said:

There is a new honda city coming soon 1.0 turbo, 120hp, 200nm and fuel economy +23km/l (by the ecocar phase 2 rules). The new jaz will come after that sometime. There is also a new almera coming as well. I would go for the new city for its size and power over the ecocars you mentioned. The city will be released sometime in November. My wife has a 2.13 swift and we may sell that to get the city if she likes it. I don't mind the swift, but I much prefer to drive our crv, especially on longer trips. 

http://www.headlightmag.com/all-new-honda-city-coming-thailand-2019/

Forget about buying a petrol driven car. Help the environment  and have an electric(battery  driven car.

6 minutes ago, Percy P said:

Forget about buying a petrol driven car. Help the environment  and have an electric(battery  driven car.

There's no point to that when this government does nothing about pickups and old vehicles billowing out <deleted> into the atmosphere. Better to go and moan to the Chinese who are worst polluters on earth. Besides I lovey diesel CRV that pollutes less than the petrol version. Also, there is not much infrastructure to support electric vehicles at this time. What do you drive?

Archived