Looking for advice on what to buy

mcl2504

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

Another issue to consider is the CVT transmission.  Honda and Toyota make their own whereas Suzuki, Mazda, Nissan, Subaru and quite a few others use a company called Jatco.......and they don't have a very good reputation. Personally I would especially stay away from Nissan (Jatco) CVT transmissions.

Why..?

This advert keeps coming up on my FB and the Marsh is very affordable. I don't personally like the styling but if it's a second car and you don't want to break the bank then it could be rather appealing. Just get it in black rather than a silly lime green that everyone seems to buy.

Screenshot_20191018-182010.png

2 hours ago, ross163103 said:

Another issue to consider is the CVT transmission.  Honda and Toyota make their own whereas Suzuki, Mazda, Nissan, Subaru and quite a few others use a company called Jatco.......and they don't have a very good reputation. Personally I would especially stay away from Nissan (Jatco) CVT transmissions.

There is an Australian motoring journalist on YouTube, John Cadogan, who is quite scathing about the Nissan CVT.

43 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Apparently they break down, then repairs break the wallet.

The modern cvt should be good for 10years or so, depending on kms driven. I think most modern cars are not made to last much longer than that. Especially in LoS, where everyone seems to have a relatively new car on the road. Most of the old cars I see on the road here are junk - its rare to see a well kept older car. They are made to be used and disposed of. Unlike some of the old metal we used to drive as in our younger days. Having said that,, I sold my civic with a rgular wato; at 250K km it never had an issue. The head gasket went, but that was an easy fix. No other problems wirth the engine; air cond compressor(s) were a bit of a nightmare though. 

17 minutes ago, DavisH said:

The modern cvt should be good for 10years or so, depending on kms driven. I think most modern cars are not made to last much longer than that. Especially in LoS, where everyone seems to have a relatively new car on the road. Most of the old cars I see on the road here are junk - its rare to see a well kept older car. They are made to be used and disposed of. Unlike some of the old metal we used to drive as in our younger days. Having said that,, I sold my civic with a rgular wato; at 250K km it never had an issue. The head gasket went, but that was an easy fix. No other problems wirth the engine; air cond compressor(s) were a bit of a nightmare though. 

There are torque converter automatics that are 15-20 years old without a problem. I would not be happy with an automatic that only lasted ten years.

I also understand that while torque converters are cheap to fix, the CVT's can be about a quarter of the cost of the car if they break down.

Torque converters are reasonably undemanding on transmission fluid. CVT's are quite critical w.r.to servicing intervals and transmission fluid quality, due to the tight tolerances involved.

12 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Apparently they break down, then repairs break the wallet.

Who told you that...?

Besides, if any auto has a problem it is expensive to repair, whether CVT or conventional.

There are now millions of CVT boxes out there, and they are not all broken down cluttering the roads..The fact is, more and more vehicles are being fitted with CVT, not the other way round because of CVT ploblems..

I bought Toyota Yaris Altive in December 2018. To me it is excellent car, I mainly use

in Pattaya only but have done long journey to National Forest and Korat. No problems and

in last 10 months have done only 4000 KM.

I had a Yaris from new

good for going around the city good for driving from Bangkok to Chon Buri but if you want to pull away quickly it takes a bit of time you hear noise because not really going that fast

However at 80 kilometers per hour if you kick down or drop it into sport gear the car will go.

very very spacious in the back four years not one problem at all

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/12/2019 at 10:20 PM, DavisH said:

There is a new honda city coming soon 1.0 turbo, 120hp, 200nm and fuel economy +23km/l (by the ecocar phase 2 rules). The new jaz will come after that sometime. There is also a new almera coming as well. I would go for the new city for its size and power over the ecocars you mentioned. The city will be released sometime in November. My wife has a 2.13 swift and we may sell that to get the city if she likes it. I don't mind the swift, but I much prefer to drive our crv, especially on longer trips. 

http://www.headlightmag.com/all-new-honda-city-coming-thailand-2019/

thats insanely good

City is a bit more expensive than other budget car but its a really nice little car(way more upscale than the more expensive mid range hyundai i had back home) and their safety is higher than the other brand's budget cars.  

If I get (we have one) a small car I would get a hunchback (five door) , You can't beat the versatility and utility of a five door vehicle. 

other than that, as said by others, Most cars are of similar quality.

Some are better at this but worst at that, others are better at that and worst at this.

Test drive all of them , and get the best deal and  one you like the most . 

1 hour ago, bearpolar said:

thats insanely good

City is a bit more expensive than other budget car but its a really nice little car(way more upscale than the more expensive mid range hyundai i had back home) and their safety is higher than the other brand's budget cars.  

I guess the price will be similar to the current city; it will fall under ecocar rules, thus attracting a lower tax rate. However, it should have a lot more kit that will push its price up again. It should be released before the Motor Expo. There are some photos of test cars floating around the net at the moment. There really is a big difference between the ecocars i terms of comfort and performance, so it's always best to buy the best car you can get for your budget. The swift(and others), while they are called ecocars, are not that economical if you have to thrash them to make them go. Just returned from Ratburi this weekend - got 19.7km/l in the crv. I would struggle to get that in the swift. The overall economy is about the same when I compare the two of them. 

On 10/18/2019 at 11:52 AM, Jaxxper said:

I like the Hondas and Toyotas. Great quality and super styles. Still each to his own. Get out and test drive a Few.

what page is this ?   i am shocked because i thought there would be many reviews  about Toyota Vios .   Certainly my pick for good ride and trouble free.   But maybe its now an "old mans car"  with all these (supposedly)sexy hatchboacks.  My Vios just keeps going and going and going.

Goes to show......different strokes for different folks

8 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

Because Nissan (Jatco) CVT transmissions have a reputation for not lasting very long.

Mine is now 5 years old, 90kkm, my friends March is I think 8 years old...So far no issues. Manufacturers are still using Jatco...

I bought my Suzuki Swift (top model) seven years ago and it's been absolutely superb over those years.

I test drove the Almira, Mirage, Vios, Mazda 2, March and Honda Brio and was instantly taken with the Suzuki, one because it felt roomy inside and the road handling was far superior to the others, and also for want of better terminology, it was quite nippy.

The service has been tremendous and I see no need to change this car now as it is going so well, however if I did change it, it would be to another Suzuki Swift.

A friend bought the Nissan Note and I was impressed with the room inside, as well as the large hatchback/boot space, however for me it was just a little bit too big for a runabout in a crowded town.

The top of the range Swift model is great value for money compared to the others, and I would have no hesitation in recommending it to anybody. 

8 hours ago, xylophone said:

I bought my Suzuki Swift (top model) seven years ago and it's been absolutely superb over those years.

I test drove the Almira, Mirage, Vios, Mazda 2, March and Honda Brio and was instantly taken with the Suzuki, one because it felt roomy inside and the road handling was far superior to the others, and also for want of better terminology, it was quite nippy.

The service has been tremendous and I see no need to change this car now as it is going so well, however if I did change it, it would be to another Suzuki Swift.

A friend bought the Nissan Note and I was impressed with the room inside, as well as the large hatchback/boot space, however for me it was just a little bit too big for a runabout in a crowded town.

The top of the range Swift model is great value for money compared to the others, and I would have no hesitation in recommending it to anybody. 

The new swift is better in most respects to our old swift. The new swift is swifter as they reduced the weight, even though the power was reduced. It's only when you drive a nex car from a larger class you see its shortfalls. it's mainly my wife who drives it now and she doesn't complain about it - says the crv is too large for her. She retires in a few years so will need a new car then as she will be driving a lot more (won't have the government vehicle /driver). I think the new city will be worth a look - a bit larger then the swift and better for passengers. 

To add...

Today I went to Mazda to see the new Mazda 3, 5 door

Not impressed at all, very claustrophobic in the back and head hitting the sides if tall, for the driver ok.

But next to the 2019 model they had a 2018 model unregistered but they still want 1,150000 for it <deleted>.

Just for sitting and getting a feel for all the cars , the one that felt the best was the CX5 that is a nice car but 1.5M

2nd best was the CX3 believe it or not it just felt good still over a million for a diesel one.

The saloon model is a nicer car than the 5 door even though the hatchback looks better

Still looking as not in a rush to buy.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived