Let's talk about walls!

medic5678

Ok, I think we're pretty well set on our roof and foundation (foundation poured, roof panes ordered.  The question is about walls and what to do?  concrete block with stucco is my first inclination.  But what about the inside?  A vapor barrier, and where?  What about insulation on the walls?

QCon blocks are the standard solution, aerated concrete blocks or panels. Supplemental insulation is generally not used; you can do a double-wall or thicker blocks (75cm vs 50) instead. 

Stucco exterior rendering is standard, but something with a lower thermal mass will reduce the re-radiated solar gain during the day. Main thing is to make sure you have sufficient shading of the windows on the exterior. 

Interior comes down to preferences. Rendered face is the most common. 

Honestly not sure on vapor barrier; conventional wisdom is you put it on the cold side of the insulation, but the window interface matters. 

Concrete block and stucco is the cheapest and best option. I don't like the Thai building method of stacking bricks edge on to save money.

I don't know anything about vapor barriers. Walls can't be insulated unless they are double walls, which would be costly. Wide eaves.

Whatever you do, ensure the builder installs soffits and vents in the roof and eaves, otherwise you will be putting your dwelling under a heat blanket.

1 hour ago, medic5678 said:

Ok, I think we're pretty well set on our roof and foundation (foundation poured, roof panes ordered.  The question is about walls and what to do?  concrete block with stucco is my first inclination.  But what about the inside?  A vapor barrier, and where?  What about insulation on the walls?

Easy and fast with no need for extra insulation or vapor barrier is AAC block. It needs to be tied into the columns and there is a premix render designed for it. We went with double 7.5cm blocks as they are the most abundant and best price.

As you can see here is a set of shop houses using it.IMG_8461.thumb.JPG.02fe46eb9b5d802cada20e49accaaed5.JPG

E2081666.jpg.725fdaec60d416601a537f6fdef40c90.jpg

here is the outside wall with electrics and inner wall going up

29 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Easy and fast with no need for extra insulation or vapor barrier is AAC block. It needs to be tied into the columns and there is a premix render designed for it. We went with double 7.5cm blocks as they are the most abundant and best price.

I like this.  Were you at all concerned about ants or such in between the two layers of blocks?

1 minute ago, medic5678 said:

I like this.  Were you at all concerned about ants or such in between the two layers of blocks?

Nothing for them to eat, as far as possible the cavities are sealed.

The second picture is Feb 2016 we are in the house now. That ants seem to like getting into one or two of the outside lights so I add ant powder when I install or change a bulb.

FWIW we have really good doors windows and this together with the blocks gives more than a 20dB cut in noise 

here is the proof

here is a bit of fish life at the beginning bit mostly building including the roof metal going on.

At the time when I  built AAC were expensive so I opted for double concrete blocks, I also like their solidity more than AAC, I checked the thermal ratings and two  conc blocks with an air gap between gave almost the same q  value as  the thicker 25cm or 20cm? thick  blocks with no air gap.

Now AAC is  much cheaper and would use those although I might still go double  wall with aac  outside conc blocks  inside. I know they have special fixings  for aac I just prefer the more solid  feel of conc blocks.

Vapour  barrier only on the floor for me.

As mentioned no food  in cavity = no insect and mine are sealed  also.

8 years now now problems.

Crossy has a good construction website coolthaihouse google  it, many posters from here on there.............and less arguments.

13 minutes ago, Chazar said:

At the time when I  built AAC were expensive so I opted for double concrete blocks, I also like their solidity more than AAC, I checked the thermal ratings and two  conc blocks with an air gap between gave almost the same q  value as  the thicker 25cm or 20cm? thick  blocks with no air gap.

Now AAC is  much cheaper and would use those although I might still go double  wall with aac  outside conc blocks  inside. I know they have special fixings  for aac I just prefer the more solid  feel of conc blocks.

Vapour  barrier only on the floor for me.

As mentioned no food  in cavity = no insect and mine are sealed  also.

8 years now now problems.

Crossy has a good construction website coolthaihouse google  it, many posters from here on there.............and less arguments.

Oh come on!  There has NEVER been an argument here!  Nothing but pure harmony :).  Will check the site for sure, thanks!

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

It isn't actually crossy's website This is one of his pages CTH has polite discussions and disagreements but few arguments, no spam, no flames, and no advertising apart from a single banner on the index page.

It is about 98% information, enquiries, discussions and stories about building.

This forum is better for electrical matters.

can you please explain where and how to do it ... thank you very much.
Not sure if a vapour barrier is a water barrier, but if you search the QCon site you will find lots of Thai videos showing how to lay QCon blocks. One thing they mention is to put down a plastic barrier, between block (before the first course, if I remember). Supposed to stop the damp rising.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, motdaeng said:

can you please explain where and how to do it ... thank you very much.

If you have a slab on grade you generally place it below the concrete, but it can be between the slab and floor finish. Look for architectural details showing locations at various locations. 

Archived