SURVEY; Health Insurance for long stayers -- needed or not?

Scott

SURVEY; Health Insurance for long stayers -- needed or not?  

230 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted yes, but it would have been good to be able to comment in the voting section, so I am doing it here.

I have no problem with the Thai Government asking for Inpatient Cover, but cannot understand the need for outpatient cover, 40,000 baht, whIch Is about $2,000 AUD. If you need to see a doctor and can't pay, you shouldn't be seen!!

Yes, needed.  I am an OA guy and I have had Thai Health Insurance since the I entered LOS but my current insurance has over 1 million Baht IPD but no OPD.  My current insurance company responded that I cannot add an 40,000 OPD Rider to my current policy. Never needed OPD because so far I have paid Cash or Visa for all of my Out Patient Medical and Dental needs.  For my current policy I pay under 13,000 Baht annually.  For a new policy which complies with the Long Stay Visa Health Insurance criteria I have been quoted annual premiumsform a range of 30,000 to over 46,000 Baht.  TIT.  

6 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Yes, needed.  I am an OA guy and I have had Thai Health Insurance since the I entered LOS but my current insurance has over 1 million Baht IPD but no OPD.  My current insurance company responded that I cannot add an 40,000 OPD Rider to my current policy. Never needed OPD because so far I have paid Cash or Visa for all of my Out Patient Medical and Dental needs.  For my current policy I pay under 13,000 Baht annually.  For a new policy which complies with the Long Stay Visa Health Insurance criteria I have been quoted annual premiumsform a range of 30,000 to over 46,000 Baht.  TIT.  

If you would see who sit in the boards of those insurances and compare with who sits on several gov. posts (not needed even to go to the highest level  group ) you would understand the real meaning of this new measure ….I checked once online the board members of a well know law company ….. oh boy soo many white uniforms on that website picture ...

1 hour ago, Teee said:

Its simple really. Cant or wont pay for health insurance then go somewhere else to live.

I suspect all you people on here expect to live in Thailand on your terms.

Fact is you are just a 'tourist' living long term therefore abide by the rules

Be thankful they let you stay.

It is simple to move when you have nothing here, but a lot of people seem to have made major commitments, like buying properties, having families, etc. They assumed at that time that the rules won't change. And when you have all these commitments you have become a cow ready to be milked. Sitting duck unable to move.

Do you thing the health insurance would be the last change?  There are many more options - double the deposit required for visa, introduce property or stamp duty tax for real estate owned by foreigners.

Myself I'll never buy a property here..only rent.

2 minutes ago, gearbox said:

It is simple to move when you have nothing here, but a lot of people seem to have made major commitments, like buying properties, having families, etc. They assumed at that time that the rules won't change. And when you have all these commitments you have become a cow ready to be milked. Sitting duck unable to move.

Do you thing the health insurance would be the last change?  There are many more options - double the deposit required for visa, introduce property or stamp duty tax for real estate owned by foreigners.

Myself I'll never buy a property here..only rent.

Do not forget the company form bypass for "owning" house /land seems to get more & more their attention ..... possible cash cow for future fines ...or worse

2019-10-13_221856.png

It makes sense until you understand that current medical charges are based on, sometimes, not receiving payment. 

If payment is now received, operating expenses will be lower.  Will charges be also lowered?

Countries that have done this simply pocket the extra profits.  Will Thailand do the same?

4 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

Not sure why you think the TM30 is a money grab. If you comply with the requirements there is no cost associated with it. Do you get charged to lodge a TM 30 ? Just interested.

Don't get me started on TM30. Yes, I got fined 3,000 baht when I went from a BOI supported visa/WP at Charmjuree to Retirement visa at Changwattana. CW fined me for not reporting my wife, child and myself on a TM30. Charmjuree has never required a TM30. I also tried to register for TM30 one week before going to Changwattana and showed them my acknowledgment print out but they didn't care. Pay fine 3,000 baht and no fine receipt given back either.   I finely got my online passward after 8 1/2 weeks.  Have you not been following all the news hype about TM30 controversy?    

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

What are you confused about David?

Just about the money , but i come from a nanny state of Europe where health insurance is very reasonable priced , not USA type ,that's also the reason we are a magnet for economic refugees  immigrants ...

I have a simple Axa no age limit , no pre history for 450€ /year but only covers up to 12500€ each incident , on year basis , also included repatriation option , but only possible if you are insured in your own country by government ….. I guess that if costs to high for them they choose to repatriate and put on the local country governmental health care costs , ( no problem for me anyway as I am a single loner here ...555

Also other things included as bail provision ( must pay back), repatriation by dead (further costs at country for  ….or burial /cremation in Thailand at max 40 000 baht

Short said , basic , comparable with   a travel insurance as covers whole world exept my native home country but covers the needs as in home country almost free care as a Gov.pensioner when repatriated 

I just looked into travel in Europe. The minimum coverage if you need a visa is about 167 Euro's  for 6 months. So if I double that for a year, 334 Euro's. That is about 367 dollars. That is at 1.1 dollars to the Euro.

At my age in Thailand it is about 70,000 baht for a year. Which is about 2258 US dollars.  And the age of cut off is 70-75.

There is a little trivia for ya.  Haha

5 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

Exactly. This needs to be a choice in the survey. One way or another, long-stay foreigners should have the ability to take care of themselves.

They talk about 400,000/40,000, I believe. Why not offer the option to put 500,000 into an account, much like we have to do now for the retirement or marriage extensions?

Because it won't line the pockets of the insurance companies 

2 hours ago, baansgr said:

I don't agree with many IO rules but isn't it fair to ask an older person to cover themselves....self insurance, I take it you have funds, well surely 20 or 30k for a yearly policy isn't much to ask....I'm with Immigration on this one.

I are you kidding me! At 57 years old for the Thai insurance the premium is 57,000 Baht for the 400K/40K coverage but they limit outpatient to 1,500 baht per visit. Thai insurance also require a full medical before giving the policy. The medical is so they can determine exclusions. Now for the same premium I get 1.5 million dollars (~50 million baht) for inpatient with no medical required other than blood pressure. I choose to self insure for outpatient as the its the outpatient premium that is a show stopper.  

1 minute ago, RBOP said:

I are you kidding me! At 57 years old for the Thai insurance the premium is 57,000 Baht for the 400K/40K coverage but they limit outpatient to 1,500 baht per visit. Thai insurance also require a full medical before giving the policy. The medical is so they can determine exclusions. Now for the same premium I get 1.5 million dollars (~50 million baht) for inpatient with no medical required other than blood pressure. I choose to self insure for outpatient as the its the outpatient premium that is a show stopper.  

Yes, but the government has to pay for the new submarines don't forget. That is to make sure you are safe in Thailand.  

1 minute ago, garyk said:

Yes, but the government has to pay for the new submarines don't forget. That is to make sure you are safe in Thailand.  

And they have still a long Wishlist ...

1 hour ago, CLS said:

In most developed countries health insurance is mandatory. Most make no difference between IPD and OPD. Some differentiate between illness and accident.

If this country wants to become a civilized country it should introduce it for everyone. Maybe 2 schemes covering the public or the private sector. In addition the choice to opt for private care, for a surcharge of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

In most developed countries they don't charge foreigners triple for medical treatment and 10 times to enter a National Park.

Also the fact that the triple medical costs and this insurance mandate comes a month later is no coincidence. Its openly scamming foreigners. 

7 minutes ago, david555 said:

And they have still a long Wishlist ...

Yeah, this whole thing is turning into a huge joke. 

Can't wait for the next hammer to drop... haha

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe we should compare this to what Thais need if they want to visit other parts of the world, i.e. Europe... 

yes there the policies are MUCH cheaper (schengen zone) 168 euros for 6  months cover  up to 30,000 euros max +1million  baht with MUCH higher cover than  the cack amount the 400k one is  at roughly 50k baht  a year for a 55yr  old

2 hours ago, wazzadg44 said:

I agree-not enough scope in the survey. I am 74 and do not have health insurance(have been denied since age 70 and now have existing condition ) but I do have enough money to cover my public hospital treatment (last time 200,000 baht +/- ) so I think some consideration should be applied in these sorts of circumstances. If push came to shove I would go back home for treatment but only as a last resort. Nothing left for me there.

Its for your type of situation that they are bringing in Health Insurance.

In any other country away from your home...they would EXPECT you to pay for your health problems.

Just because you live in Thailand why should you expect to be treated free??

22 minutes ago, Chazar said:

yes there the policies are MUCH cheaper (schengen zone) 168 euros for 6  months cover  up to 30,000 euros max +1million  baht with MUCH higher cover than  the cack amount the 400k one is  at roughly 50k baht  a year for a 55yr  old

Do you know the difference between a standard health insurance and a travel health insurance?

A travel insurance covers emergency treatment. Things like food poisoning, a vehicle accident, a bite from a monkey or a heat stroke. It does not cover things like heart operations (if they are no emergency). The idea of a travel insurance is to cover what is necessary in that moment and to get the patient back home. And back home his normal insurance has to pay for everything. That is a BIG difference and this is why they are not comparable.

15 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

I'm sort of reluctantly considering putting 800k in a bank here for another year extension, but when the mandatory insurance stupidity hits all long stayers, that will be a deal breaker.

Let me ease your mind as I got 8 years from y 10 years stay the 800+a lot more on my account and all in good behavior from my KK bank ….. only thing disturb /annoying me is that it was MY decision to keep on bank …, while now Thai I.O is demanding and so controlling my money for half of the year in full 

And insurance I have but a Western Axa , and only I see they are favoring extravagantly their own pockets by sitting in the boards chairs from insurance companys

On 10/13/2019 at 5:26 AM, Scott said:

In your opinion, do you believe this is a feasible plan?  

It's not a plan, it's already in police order 548/2562 and can be read on the Thai Immigration web site. Starts 31-Oct for Non Imm O-A applicants only.

Just now, MJKT2014 said:

It's not a plan, it's already in police order 548/2562 and can be read on the Thai Immigration web site. Starts 31-Oct for Non Imm O-A applicants only.

any info for when for the non O ret. extensions ? as I am  pre planner 

Archived