BANGKOK
Scott

SURVEY; Health Insurance for long stayers -- needed or not?

SURVEY; Health Insurance for long stayers -- needed or not?  

230 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Sorry Dogbarker. go and read the press releases again. The FIRST one clearly stated ALL Non-Immigrant visas, which means both O & O-A. The 2nd press release made reference to O-A only. The actual order/legislation, or whatever you want to call it, clearly says all Non-Immigrant visas. So all new O & O-A visa applications ( not extensions of stay ) require the mandatory health insurance cover from 31 October.

I think you are wrong....

• Like 1

The option to self insure is there but the trouble is people don"t take out the cover.

A scheme like Sweden for ALL long stayers is a great idea 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I'd prefer not to fund other peoples lack of insurance.

Ah, the years spent paying car insurance that included funding “uninsured” drivers ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, natway09 said:

The option to self insure is there but the trouble is people don"t take out the cover.

A scheme like Sweden for ALL long stayers is a great idea 

Can you elaborate on the Swedish thing?

19 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Sorry Dogbarker. go and read the press releases again. The FIRST one clearly stated ALL Non-Immigrant visas, which means both O & O-A. The 2nd press release made reference to O-A only. The actual order/legislation, or whatever you want to call it, clearly says all Non-Immigrant visas. So all new O & O-A visa applications ( not extensions of stay ) require the mandatory health insurance cover from 31 October.

"So all new O & O-A visa applications ( not extensions of stay )"

So what about the extension of a ret.ext ….as that ARE the long stayers..? 

Like you formulate it they should not be in need to do insurance as they extend year after year ….

I presume you made a little mistake in formulating it , however I wish it was so.....

Edited by david555

There is something very wrong with this survey.

I can't believe that more than half members think that an health insurance is not needed for someone living in Thailand ! :wacko:

• Confused 1

Poll is too wide.

I believe insurance should be compulsory but only inpatient. OPD totally unnecessary and purely there as bunce for the insurance companies.

I answered no but it depends on your own financial situation. I have ample funds to pay whatever hospital or medical bills come along, so I should not be required to throw money to a grasping insurance company for a <deleted> policy.

In my opinion where a government mandates something which costs money, then they should provide a pubic option.... ie like third party motor insurance cover here costs less than a 1000 baht and that you must provide when you reregister your car every year. Let everyone pay 1000 baht and then get government healthcare for minimal cost. If you want insurance and to use private hospitals be my guest and pay a profit seeking insurance company that charges you through the nose.

I have checked for coverage....4000 a month is the least that I can obtain a policy at my age. 50K per year to get me maximum benefits of 45K for outpatient and 420K for inpatient. It's ridiculous and way more than my motor insurance for two newish vehicles.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I answered no but it depends on your own financial situation. I have ample funds to pay whatever hospital or medical bills come along, so I should not be required to throw money to a grasping insurance company for a <deleted> policy.

In my opinion where a government mandates something which costs money, then they should provide a pubic option.... ie like third party motor insurance cover here costs less than a 1000 baht and that you must provide when you reregister your car every year. Let everyone pay 1000 baht and then get government healthcare for minimal cost. If you want insurance and to use private hospitals be my guest and pay a profit seeking insurance company that charges you through the nose.

I have checked for coverage....4000 a month is the least that I can obtain a policy at my age. 50K per year to get me maximum benefits of 45K for outpatient and 420K for inpatient. It's ridiculous and way more than my motor insurance for two newish vehicles.

You are 110% right …. BUT  health care is a real business for them for treatment to foreigners ….(example the ****** Hospitals …!!) and so those in charge Gov. don't want to cut in their own pockets …..by making cheap policy's & treatment  available , all other reasons given by them are fake excuses 

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

In most developed countries health insurance is mandatory. Most make no difference between IPD and OPD. Some differentiate between illness and accident.

If this country wants to become a civilized country it should introduce it for everyone. Maybe 2 schemes covering the public or the private sector. In addition the choice to opt for private care, for a surcharge of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 minute ago, CLS said:

In most developed countries health insurance is mandatory. Most make no difference between IPD and OPD. Some differentiate between illness and accident.

If this country wants to become a civilized country it should introduce it for everyone. Maybe 2 schemes covering the public or the private sector. In addition the choice to opt for private care, for a surcharge of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I think they are having trouble getting the populace to wear crash hats at the mo....And certain folk taking back hand-ers...

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I thought the 800,000 Thb, parked in a Thai Bank ?,

was to cover that,so they knew you had money to

pay for hospital bills.

Now I am thinking some people in authority have

shares in insurance companies,or at the very least

are been lobbied by them.

regards worgeordie

But of course, use that money for medical purposes and your extension is up the creek.

2 hours ago, isaanistical said:

And fyi, insurers will cover 70+ customers, but not as new risks

And fyi, I just took out a new policy with Cigna, at 71 yrs old. Expensive, but it covers up to Bht 12M.