SURVEY; Health Insurance for long stayers -- needed or not?

Scott

SURVEY; Health Insurance for long stayers -- needed or not?  

230 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you know the difference between a standard health insurance and a travel health insurance?

A travel insurance covers emergency treatment. Things like food poisoning, a vehicle accident, a bite from a monkey or a heat stroke. It does not cover things like heart operations (if they are no emergency). The idea of a travel insurance is to cover what is necessary in that moment and to get the patient back home. And back home his normal insurance has to pay for everything. That is a BIG difference and this is why they are not comparable.

Looks comparable to me?  I usually don't go to the hospital unless I am sick... haha

The Thai insurance is basically the same. 

I looked at both, looks like both are travel insurance to me. Both exclude existing conditions. If I have a heart attack in Europe it will cover it. Actually IMHO the Europe insurance is much better for the price. Especially considering the extremely cheap cost of health care in Thailand.

Both are written for long term tourist stays. 

If you are in Thailand you can stay for a year, Europe 6 months. So Thailand is for the tourist that stays longer. But, make no beans about it. If you are a liability for the insurance company you will be dropped. Anyone that thinks you are going to live in Thailand with a long term illness on their insurance is sadly mistaken. Also at 70-75 you will be booted anyway. 

What does Europe Travel Insurance policy usually cover?

A good travel insurance policy for Europe should cover the following costs:

• Medical emergency (accident or sickness) while in the Schengen Area
  • Emergency evacuation
  • Repatriation of remains
  • Return of a minor
  • Trip cancellation
  • Trip interruption
  • Accidental death, injury or disablement benefit
  • Overseas funeral expenses
  • Lost, stolen or damaged baggage, personal effects or travel documents
  • Delayed baggage (and emergency replacement of essential items)
  • Flight connection missed due to airline schedule crash
  • Travel delays due to weather
  • Hijacking

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next on the Thai agenda will be the rest of the expats that still use the Embassy letter for retirement. They will be required to have the insurance. It may take a while but that is the next step IMO.

18 minutes ago, garyk said:

Next on the Thai agenda will be the rest of the expats that still use the Embassy letter for retirement. They will be required to have the insurance. It may take a while but that is the next step IMO.

That embassy letter has nothing to do with it ...now or future , if it works for the O-A , and seen the profits , your so called next step for them , becomes a next jump to implicate it , as then already all arrangements are proved and working ,as tested for the O-A , as that is just the test case ...followed up for all other category's

IMO 

2 hours ago, Teee said:

Its for your type of situation that they are bringing in Health Insurance.

In any other country away from your home...they would EXPECT you to pay for your health problems.

Just because you live in Thailand why should you expect to be treated free??

Where did I say I expected to be treated for free? I have ALREADY PAID out of my own pocket. I am prepared to pay for my treatment so that would negate the need for insurance on my part if that option was available.

12 hours ago, Thailand said:

Will the results of the poll be sent to the government for them to reconsider the proposals?

You mean the roughly 175 people who bothered to respond to the poll at this point, less than 100 of whom voted "no?" 

Definitely.   Those folks in government need a good laugh.

10 hours ago, garyk said:

I just looked into travel in Europe. The minimum coverage if you need a visa is about 167 Euro's  for 6 months. So if I double that for a year, 334 Euro's. That is about 367 dollars. That is at 1.1 dollars to the Euro.

At my age in Thailand it is about 70,000 baht for a year. Which is about 2258 US dollars.  And the age of cut off is 70-75.

There is a little trivia for ya.  Haha

What happens when a person reaches the 70 - 75 range and can't get health insurance? Is this a way for the Thai govt to get rid of the elderly farang? Looks like it.

20 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

What happens when a person reaches the 70 - 75 range and can't get health insurance? Is this a way for the Thai govt to get rid of the elderly farang? Looks like it.

Yeah, if you are on that visa you are headed somewhere else for sure.  

22 minutes ago, garyk said:

Yeah, if you are on that visa you are headed somewhere else for sure.  

The reasons for retiring outside of a persons home country are diminishing. It might be more expensive in a persons home country but you can adjust your lifestyle to make it work. That way you have freedom, national healthcare/medicare, no language barriers, no visa requirements for bank deposits, no regular "check-ins"  so they(the govt) keep tabs on you, or any number of other items.

Whenever I've asked Asians in the US who are not citizens yet if they will ever move back to their homeland almost every response stated "why would I leave the greatest country in the world to return to my home country?" They state they will never leave the US.

It's interesting that so many in the West want to retire to Thailand, the Philippines, etc yet the folks from those countries that make it to the US never want to leave even tho they have nowhere close to the wealth of those going the other direction. They are happy in the US and will work until they are nearly 80 to make ends meet as they aren't eligible for social security.

Asia might have been a great place to retire to in the past but not so much these days.

2 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

The reasons for retiring outside of a persons home country are diminishing. It might be more expensive in a persons home country but you can adjust your lifestyle to make it work. That way you have freedom, national healthcare/medicare, no language barriers, no visa requirements for bank deposits, no regular "check-ins"  so they(the govt) keep tabs on you, or any number of other items.

Whenever I've asked Asians in the US who are not citizens yet if they will ever move back to their homeland almost every response stated "why would I leave the greatest country in the world to return to my home country?" They state they will never leave the US.

It's interesting that so many in the West want to retire to Thailand, the Philippines, etc yet the folks from those countries that make it to the US never want to leave even tho they have nowhere close to the wealth of those going the other direction. They are happy in the US and will work until they are nearly 80 to make ends meet as they aren't eligible for social security.

Asia might have been a great place to retire to in the past but not so much these days.

Most other countries want retiree's.

Believe me there are MUCH nicer places than Thailand and the retirement rules are very friendly towards us. They actually want us..  ????

I am not sure about other countries, I am US. But, Thailand is probably the worst place for US pensioners to retire IMO. I lived there for 11 years. Had a good time and spent money there. Thailand is a very polluted place. IMO a health hazard.

They can implement any laws they want I don't care, I sure don't have to spend my money there, and won't... haha

I have a Thai family living across from me. You could not dynamite them out. They used to go back to Thailand every few years. Now they have stopped.

I live here in the states in a small house, it costs me about the same as renting a cheap apartment in Thailand. But, it is paid for, so only taxes, utilities and upkeep.

15 hours ago, AJS150654 said:

I voted yes, but it would have been good to be able to comment in the voting section, so I am doing it here.

I have no problem with the Thai Government asking for Inpatient Cover, but cannot understand the need for outpatient cover, 40,000 baht, whIch Is about $2,000 AUD. If you need to see a doctor and can't pay, you shouldn't be seen!!

You saying this, made me think, the insurance company might want to pay for outpatient care for their own protection.  If cheap or broke people won’t go to a doctor to save small amounts of money, they may end up with a  hospitalization that then the insurance will have to pay.

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe we should compare this to what Thais need if they want to visit other parts of the world, i.e. Europe... 

Well, Thais don't pay triple price in Europe to visit something, like the Eiffel tower

I don't agree with many IO rules but isn't it fair to ask an older person to cover themselves....self insurance, I take it you have funds, well surely 20 or 30k for a yearly policy isn't much to ask....I'm with Immigration on this one.

20 to 30 K for an annual policy, what planet are you on,unless you are about 40!
This compulsory insurance is going to bite everyone one once they pass 70.
Cheapest is Pacific Cross at about 70 k.
I challenge anyone , get projected premiums up to 85 !

The only sensible and fair way is a 440k self insure bond!

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

22 hours ago, jvs said:

A lot of tourists already have travel insurance

It's exact , BUT they lost this or these insurance if they don't respect the LAWs in this country.

Too many tourists rent two motorized wheels while they do not have the driving license that goes with it;
no driver's license = no insurance.
No insurance company will take in charge a person who does not respect the law.

Whatever the country on this earth .

Why do they respect the law in their country and when they come here think they can do what they want?

2 hours ago, Misab said:

Well, Thais don't pay triple price in Europe to visit something, like the Eiffel tower

What you do not know is that millions of French pay much less than the price;
for example, the teachers  of the French National Education, they are  civil servants, do not pay to enter the museums;
students and seniors often pay half fare;
etc ...

16 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

What you do not know is that millions of French pay much less than the price;
for example, the teachers  of the French National Education, they are  civil servants, do not pay to enter the museums;
students and seniors often pay half fare;
etc ...

I've never paid to enter any museum anywhere in the world, if it isn't free, I don't go in.

As for the OP, irrelevant to my life.

I'd pay for full health care, as available in every civilised country in the world.

I won't pay for health insurance, as it's an evil capitalist scam, and they often decide not to pay for whatever happened to you because,

it wasn't covered,

it's below the excess payment,

you had drunk some alcohol,

you behaved in a reckless way,

you didn't have the right license/safety equipment,

they don't allow that hospital,

it's an excluded event

et al.

On 10/14/2019 at 10:13 AM, JusticeGB said:

I have a UK postal address and am able to have $50,000 of insurance for $150 a month. This is adequate for Thailand. At 72 local companies are quoting over 75,000 a month and exclude preexisting conditions!

Yea if I make it to the age where insurance is impossible here then I think it’ll be time to repatriate. 

On 10/14/2019 at 11:42 AM, The Fugitive said:

'Self-insurance' doesn't guarantee that the patient will pay for their treatment.

And how does this change the situation if the insurance policy excludes pre-existing conditions?

On 10/14/2019 at 10:50 AM, jvs said:

A lot of tourists already have travel insurance but then you have the small lettering at the bottom.

Just charge every arrival into Thailand 50 baht and ad it into the ticket if the fly in.

Good money maker that way.

Then you will have the problems of pregnant Nigerians with octuplets and various other sick nationality's visiting Thailand for healthcare at a cost of only 50 baht

On 10/14/2019 at 2:57 AM, CharlieH said:

(I havnt read all the previous posts so forgive if this has been said etc)

Alot of rural Thais pay nothing in the way of taxes etc and nothing into any social fund and avoid doing so at any cost, the rural farming communites etc which is a large portion of people. All these as I understand it get medical assistance for 30 baht and some things are charged depending on treatment.

So, why doesnt the Government keep this "in house" and simply introduce a health scheme for all people. They used to have a health program for foreigners at around 3k per yr baht before.

If they introduced something new at say 1-2k a month  which is way and above any contribution made by most working Thais, they could provide the service and get the revenue instead of the insurance companies.

I am certain they could work something out that covers most people and situations, yes, there will always be exceptions and perhaps extra payment, but as a basis for a good start.

More importantly it may well keep families together and provide a little support for those that have contributed to the Thai economy continually for many years and otherwise would not or simply could not afford outrageous money grabbing insurance companies taking advantage of the situation.

The only sensible, viable solution!! Not only would such a system make sure all long stay  expats are insured, but it might even be a money maker for the system because expats might use it at a lower rate than Thais since many of them have other options such as pay themselves for better treatment in Thailand, or go back home for major medical interventions that allow travel. 

For me a scheme such as the one that is in place now would be of no use, at my age pretty much  everything is a pre-existing condition, so not only would I pay for insurance that would provide litle utility to me, but I could still be a burden to to the Thai government if I had a pre-existing attributed  medical event.

In addition it nullifies the "Retirement Visa/Extension" since no one can really retire in Thailand anymore, but can only stay here until age 75, which is the upper limit of available insurance age plans at this time.

Personally  I am  out. Regardless of the outcome, I don't trust the Thai government enough to make long term decisions with my life.  Even if they provided a sensible plan now, who is to say that they will not change it next year? I will keep my Thai home and vacation  there for a month or two, but I need stability in my golden years,, not arguing with some insurance if my condition is pre-existing while on my deathbed. 

And what's up with the outpasion requirement?? how are outpatient expenditures costing the Thai government anything?

These Asians tend to be the “have nots” in their own countries. I know many Asian “haves” and most of them prefer to stay in their own country (family, friends, luxury lifestyle, racism etc)

It's exact , BUT they lost this or these insurance if they don't respect the LAWs in this country.

Too many tourists rent two motorized wheels while they do not have the driving license that goes with it;
no driver's license = no insurance.
No insurance company will take in charge a person who does not respect the law.
Whatever the country on this earth .

Why do they respect the law in their country and when they come here think they can do what they want?

Because the law is not enforced here.
If it wouldn’t either at home the outcome would be different too.

16 hours ago, garyk said:

Most other countries want retiree's.

Believe me there are MUCH nicer places than Thailand and the retirement rules are very friendly towards us. They actually want us..  ????

I am not sure about other countries, I am US. But, Thailand is probably the worst place for US pensioners to retire IMO. I lived there for 11 years. Had a good time and spent money there. Thailand is a very polluted place. IMO a health hazard.

They can implement any laws they want I don't care, I sure don't have to spend my money there, and won't... haha

I have a Thai family living across from me. You could not dynamite them out. They used to go back to Thailand every few years. Now they have stopped.

I live here in the states in a small house, it costs me about the same as renting a cheap apartment in Thailand. But, it is paid for, so only taxes, utilities and upkeep.

Thanks Gary. You make my point for a person staying put in their home country. People living in high tax US states with high real estate costs can find another part of the country to live far more cheaply. Why move to Thailand when you have the ability to live a better life in your homeland? Some might have to downsize. Some might have to relocate to another part of the country. Some might have to work a few more years before totally retiring BUT isn't that better than moving to a place overseas that has ever changing rules and a dysfunctional govt that can't get things figured out let alone the corruption, pollution, etc. 

I think the idea that retiring overseas to "greener pastures" isn't what it once was.

4 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

These Asians tend to be the “have nots” in their own countries. I know many Asian “haves” and most of them prefer to stay in their own country (family, friends, luxury lifestyle, racism etc)

Well thanks for the unfortunate comment but IF these are "have nots" how are they able to live in a far more expensive country like the US? Your "opinion" holds no merit.

Considering ANYONE a have not is sad commentary. How exactly do you "rate" a "have not"? If they are happy, content, safe and are living the life they want in what way are they a "have not". You seem to be full of yourself.  

Well thanks for the unfortunate comment but IF these are "have nots" how are they able to live in a far more expensive country like the US? Your "opinion" holds no merit.

Considering ANYONE a have not is sad commentary. How exactly do you "rate" a "have not"? If they are happy, content, safe and are living the life they want in what way are they a "have not". You seem to be full of yourself.  

You yourself said that they (Asians) have nowhere close to the wealth of the westerners wanting to live in Asia.
But to answer you directly, they are able to live in a more expensive country because they work there, they work hard and earn local (western) wages. That is usually sufficient for them to have a rather comfortable life to the point of being able to remit funds back home to their poorer relatives/parents. My “opinion” is based on direct knowledge and observation of personal friends. If you had more knowledge, you would have known this.
To say that one is a “have” and one is a “have not” is not commentary; just a simple fact of life, especially in Asia. And if you even know a little bit about Asia, you will know who are haves and have-nots.

On 10/14/2019 at 1:15 PM, TigerandDog said:

Sorry Dogbarker. go and read the press releases again. The FIRST one clearly stated ALL Non-Immigrant visas, which means both O & O-A. The 2nd press release made reference to O-A only. The actual order/legislation, or whatever you want to call it, clearly says all Non-Immigrant visas. So all new O & O-A visa applications ( not extensions of stay ) require the mandatory health insurance cover from 31 October.

I reread the  actual  "whatever you call it" and still read it as being o-a. And is why I also quoted ubinjoe who is my go to guru . if I have to have insurance as an o type  then I will withdraw my 800,000 baht from thailand and go get an o-a  !. But in Thailand i have learnt that I am not always right of course ????

Archived