BANGKOK
Scott

SURVEY; Health Insurance for long stayers -- needed or not?

SURVEY; Health Insurance for long stayers -- needed or not?  

230 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, RBOP said:

I are you kidding me! At 57 years old for the Thai insurance the premium is 57,000 Baht for the 400K/40K coverage but they limit outpatient to 1,500 baht per visit. Thai insurance also require a full medical before giving the policy. The medical is so they can determine exclusions. Now for the same premium I get 1.5 million dollars (~50 million baht) for inpatient with no medical required other than blood pressure. I choose to self insure for outpatient as the its the outpatient premium that is a show stopper.  

Yes, but the government has to pay for the new submarines don't forget. That is to make sure you are safe in Thailand.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, garyk said:

Yes, but the government has to pay for the new submarines don't forget. That is to make sure you are safe in Thailand.  

And they have still a long Wishlist ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CLS said:

In most developed countries health insurance is mandatory. Most make no difference between IPD and OPD. Some differentiate between illness and accident.

If this country wants to become a civilized country it should introduce it for everyone. Maybe 2 schemes covering the public or the private sector. In addition the choice to opt for private care, for a surcharge of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

In most developed countries they don't charge foreigners triple for medical treatment and 10 times to enter a National Park.

Also the fact that the triple medical costs and this insurance mandate comes a month later is no coincidence. Its openly scamming foreigners. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, david555 said:

And they have still a long Wishlist ...

Yeah, this whole thing is turning into a huge joke. 

Can't wait for the next hammer to drop... haha

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe we should compare this to what Thais need if they want to visit other parts of the world, i.e. Europe... 

yes there the policies are MUCH cheaper (schengen zone) 168 euros for 6  months cover  up to 30,000 euros max +1million  baht with MUCH higher cover than  the cack amount the 400k one is  at roughly 50k baht  a year for a 55yr  old

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wazzadg44 said:

I agree-not enough scope in the survey. I am 74 and do not have health insurance(have been denied since age 70 and now have existing condition ) but I do have enough money to cover my public hospital treatment (last time 200,000 baht +/- ) so I think some consideration should be applied in these sorts of circumstances. If push came to shove I would go back home for treatment but only as a last resort. Nothing left for me there.

Its for your type of situation that they are bringing in Health Insurance.

In any other country away from your home...they would EXPECT you to pay for your health problems.

Just because you live in Thailand why should you expect to be treated free??

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

go and read the press releases again.

they arent police orders which I thought only mentioned OA, a  press  release is "nothing"

• Like 2

I'm sort of reluctantly considering putting 800k in a bank here for another year extension, but when the mandatory insurance stupidity hits all long stayers, that will be a deal breaker.

22 minutes ago, Chazar said:

yes there the policies are MUCH cheaper (schengen zone) 168 euros for 6  months cover  up to 30,000 euros max +1million  baht with MUCH higher cover than  the cack amount the 400k one is  at roughly 50k baht  a year for a 55yr  old

Do you know the difference between a standard health insurance and a travel health insurance?

A travel insurance covers emergency treatment. Things like food poisoning, a vehicle accident, a bite from a monkey or a heat stroke. It does not cover things like heart operations (if they are no emergency). The idea of a travel insurance is to cover what is necessary in that moment and to get the patient back home. And back home his normal insurance has to pay for everything. That is a BIG difference and this is why they are not comparable.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

I'm sort of reluctantly considering putting 800k in a bank here for another year extension, but when the mandatory insurance stupidity hits all long stayers, that will be a deal breaker.

Let me ease your mind as I got 8 years from y 10 years stay the 800+a lot more on my account and all in good behavior from my KK bank ….. only thing disturb /annoying me is that it was MY decision to keep on bank …, while now Thai I.O is demanding and so controlling my money for half of the year in full 

And insurance I have but a Western Axa , and only I see they are favoring extravagantly their own pockets by sitting in the boards chairs from insurance companys

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 5:26 AM, Scott said:

In your opinion, do you believe this is a feasible plan?  

It's not a plan, it's already in police order 548/2562 and can be read on the Thai Immigration web site. Starts 31-Oct for Non Imm O-A applicants only.

Just now, MJKT2014 said:

It's not a plan, it's already in police order 548/2562 and can be read on the Thai Immigration web site. Starts 31-Oct for Non Imm O-A applicants only.

any info for when for the non O ret. extensions ? as I am  pre planner