Am I likely to get refused entry at immigration?

Hi all,

Im returning to Bangkok next month on a SETV 60 days.

I rotate my time & spend 2 months in Brisbane, then 2 months in Bangkok to see friends and enjoy myself. I always use SETV which is provided by the Thai Consulate here. 

I'm 56, not retired, or working, as I have no need to anymore.

For the past two years I have had 3 of these visas per year, and stay about 58 days each time.

I always arrive with more than the required funds, and a return ticket back to Australia. I'm also mindful of this 180 day limit. 

Am I also in danger of getting refused. And if so, what should I do?, request an appeal?

As I arrive on a direct Air Asia flight I've considered flying on to Vientiane in order to cross by land if I get refused.

The staff here at the Consulate have told me I should never have a problem, but they are aware IO are now operating with impunity. Just a matter of time I fear?

I'm trying to cover all bases & do the right thing, always within the law. I've never had a visa extension.

Can anyone advise if my strategy is ok? or if I should do more.

I still find generally Thais are one of the most welcoming people on the planet. They appear blissfully unaware of our troubles as the new anti farang policies do not appear in the media.

Like many of you I am considering a move to the Philipines or Vietnam. I don't have a retirement visa because I love to travel the country.

I'm also not comfortable leaving $50,000 in a country where I might not be allowed to return to collect it.

Does anyone know if the 6 month tourist visa limit is a real directive (legal under Thai law)?

The embassy here say it is not, & technically I could get as many of the SETV as I want.

Though I would be insane to try it under the current regime?

Thank you

With your pattern of travel to Thailand you would not have an issue. The only thing is the belief that the io has good look at your passport with 180 days in any given year and your in that window. Thing is you are spending good amount of time in oz between visits to los. Also you have a visa. Most (not all) denied entry come from folk basically living here ongoing. 

Have cash on you. Hotel booking never hurts and a print out of your return flight would be a good idea. All of which not required IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not opposite advice mate - to be honest nobody really knows. But there was a report of a guy not long ago on about 160 days per year being refused so it's a dice roll at best in this case. They don't want regular tourists and this guy has got 7 SETVs in his passport which could raise their spider senses. But as you say, he is spending some time at home between visas, and he doesn't seem to be extending them, so I would guess it's 50-50.

Edited by SteveK
  • Thanks 1

I don't think you will have a problem with your history.

If you have a ticket out the country within 60 days it would help to prove you are not using tourist visas to live here.

Also have at least the equivalent of 20k baht to show if asked for it.

• Thanks 1

The only thing you can controll is youre entry point. 

I would first go to Kl it has most flights per day like 10 .So if you are denied entry youre not locked up overnight in a cell and you can fly back same day to kl at youre great expense. But it beats a cell mate. Then you cross by land.

There are many ways to enter. Like all the land boarders. 1 really easy spot is langkawi to phuket.

Take a ferry to koh lipe and youre in. The immigration at koh lipe is just a tourist mil on the beach.

I just did my 90th visa exempt in 12 years.  I flew out and in same day to kl. Got really lucky it seems reading all the hype.

• Thanks 1

I have kids, property & a half life in Australia, so I can prove I will always leave (and I do). I just want to follow the rules, to stay as long is acceptable & legal. There just doesn't seem to be a fixed rule to follow.

I do rent a condo in Bangkok on an ongoing basis, so I have a permanent base here. I don't use hotels. I'm not even sure if that works against me.

And then I have the consulate here saying here is your visa (or lottery ticket) Good luck, you will need it, because there are no rules! 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Wytchend said:

I have kids, property & a half life in Australia, so I can prove I will always leave (and I do). I just want to follow the rules, to stay as long is acceptable & legal. There just doesn't seem to be a fixed rule to follow.

I do rent a condo in Bangkok on an ongoing basis, so I have a permanent base here. I don't use hotels. I'm not even sure if that works against me.

And then I have the consulate here saying here is your visa (or lottery ticket) Good luck, you will need it, because there are no rules! 

Having had couple more reads of your OP along with this post, I'm thinking you should have been using extensions based on retirement. The not wishing to have money in Thai bank for fear of losing it is bit of a furphy. BTW its bit under 40k aud. Stick it in FD account and that's done.  

You wish to travel to Vietnam is very simple. You being oz can obtain various visas. I obtain four 3 month multi to Vietnam per year. Easy with bkk your base. 

You will need to visit CW imm once a year to obtain your extension. Don't listen to all the tm30 nonsense. I do ONE per year just prior to obtaining new extension.

With extensions based on retirement you won't have any nervous flights. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wytchend said:

Exactly. You might well have all the proof that would be needed to convince any sane person, but if they refuse to even look at it, you're out of luck on that particular day at that particular point of entry.

• Like 2

your better to  kul still flying air asia

then your options are plenty
its also cheaper to fly to Vientiane if you still want to go that route
plus if you fly into dmk your only sent back to kul

as suggested langkawi is very under used one every hour from kul about $15 if booked ahead

duty free island decent grub
you can go to koh lipe or satun by boat satuns two hrs from hat yai 
booked ahead can be as little as 640 baht with nok  hdy-dmk
or take the new chinese sleeper train for double that

maybe also Thai IO @ dmk are more tolerant of Aussies 
20k and return ticket mandatory though 

its anybodies guess about immigration you got plenty of options though 

• Like 1

Some have said you'll be OK others have said you could be denied entry.. 

I was almost denied entry (DMK) on METV which I was granted Thai consulate Melbourne. The IO's said to me they're specifically targeting foreigner's who have a history of tourist visas.. They didn't say whether it was only METV or both. Given you have prior SETV you could very well denied.. As udonjoe said make sure you have booked flight out, 20,000 baht and preferred hotel booking. 

That was interesting what the consulate said "IO's operating with impunity" 

I'm hoping like many others that consulates put pressure on MFA to clarify with IO's as why IO's are denying so many ppl with tourist visas whether METV or SETV. 

If they don't want foreigners being issued too many tourist visas within a period  of time they need to inform the consulates. So it's not a waste of time, money and inconvenience to us! 

• Thanks 1

With 7 SETVs in the passport, and >170 days in Thailand per year for the last 2 years, I would say that there is a 95% chance of being questioned and hassled at Suvarnabhumi.

Edited by SteveK

31 minutes ago, SteveK said:

With 7 SETVs in the passport, and >170 days in Thailand per year for the last 2 years, I would say that there is a 95% chance of being questioned and hassled at Suvarnabhumi.

I agree. One thing that many members posting have overlooked is the fact that this is ongoing for the op. His ideal plan is to continue 6 month los 6 month OZ. 

Many posts from under 50,s asking advice how to stay 10+ months or whatever. I try help in those threads. I'm not under 50 basher.

Fact is IMHO, the op has better options but wants cake and eat it too. One post above is fly eg Brisbane to KL. Then KL to say Vientiane. (BTW that's a surprisingly cheap flight) then enter via border nong khai and presumably fly domestic udon to DM. 

The op wants do this 3 times a year. Frankly crazy suggestion.

The OP should simply obtain a non o and then extensions. Easy peasy.

This ain't a brag but last visit to au I tried to contribute another 450k to super but its maxed out for next 3 years. Ended up in FD westpac a/c. 2.55%. Yippi.

The OP sounds not short of a quid so what's with the 800k baht in FD here. Mine is 1.65%. Hells bells huge loss. Not.

Or he could use an agent to do all. What's that 25k baht per year? Or continue enter with tourist visa and eventually denied entry. Flown back au.

10 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Can the OP not get a Non-OA then he could leave the monies in Aus and if he times it correctly, be done with Visa hassles for 2 years.

That's perfect fit. I was about to do same even though I live los. Then the insurance rubbish came up and now seems a requirement, its not the nice option. If op continues with tourist visas it will be matter of time till expensive denied entry and if flying from oz to los a sad trip. 

He has easy option. Up to him. The appropriate visa is non o based on retirement with annual extensions given intention to be ongoing. Simple.

Edited by DrJack54

13 hours ago, Wytchend said:

I rotate my time & spend 2 months in Brisbane, then 2 months in Bangkok to see friends and enjoy myself

I wouldn't book a hotel!
There is a good chance that you will have "a room" at the airport.

Edited by marqus12
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Can the OP not get a Non-OA then he could leave the monies in Aus and if he times it correctly, be done with Visa hassles for 2 years.

A week ago, that would have been my suggestion. With the new requirement for overpriced and worthless health insurance through providers selected by the Thai authorities, I do not see this any longer as an attractive option. To be honest, Thailand Elite is looking more and more attractive if you really want to spend many years in Thailand.

• Like 1

What I can suggest is not to get morethan 2 tourist visa stamp on your passport in 12 months.

My farang friend who always visits TH for his GF, regardless of his financial capabilities got jailed in the subvarnabumi airport only because he's got too many tourist visa stamp on his passport. We (his friends had to settle his flight going back straight to USA on the same day so thag he wont stay longer in that <deleted>ty jail) cost him a lot of stress and money. He is based in SE Asia for his business and wasnt allowed to go back to TH unless he arrange a different visa to stay other than tourist from his country. That cost moo much time delay and money.

Please do not let yourself be in that situation. Thai people are friendly? Well don't include the people in power. They can be really tough and can give you a lot of stress regardless of your capabilities if they have to implement the law.

You can get a 9months+ stay here with multiple entry stamp. If you like the country, please settle a better visa than 60days tourist. Plenty of legal offices around that can help you.

I arrived at BKK on Friday from Sydney with a SETV and have a lot of SETV's and Visa Exempts in my passport and was waiting for questions and grilling about "why you come Thailand a lot" but nothing, no return ticket, no Bt20,000 questions, nothing. No biometrics because it wasn't working so just look at the camera wait a couple of minutes and go through. No problem. Good luck

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2019 at 6:49 AM, SteveK said:

So you're going to have 7 Thai SETVs in your passport, and you stay 58 x 3 = 174 days per year. There's definitely a very real chance of you being refused entry and being told to get a retirement visa. Flying to Laos first would be a very good idea. Check out what happened to this guy of retirement age trying to enter on a SETV:

It seems if you mention that you have a YouTube channel with 10k subscribers, they let you speak to another IO who will let you in!

Got as far as 1:30 then shut it down. What a load of fear mongering garbage! Poorly written and presented.

• Thanks 1

Mate, just do it. I very much doubt you will have a problem.

You don't fit the profile of people who get refused. Late 50's, obviously not trying to live in Thailand on tourist visas, definitely not a visa runner.

There is always a back story to the people who get refused entry but often we do not hear about it.

Take a lot of comments you read on this forum with a grain of salt. A lot of posters thrive on self created (imaginary) drama, and 90 percent do not live in Thailand but simply repeat and embellish what they have read until it takes a life of its own and becomes TVF facts. The 180 days myth seems to have crept back in even though it no longer exists, and hasn't for years. As someone who enters and leaves Thailand on a monthly basis I can assure you that what you read about Thai Imm officers is 99% BS. I've never met one yet who was unpleasant which is remarkable considering some of the things they must deal with on a daily basis.

Enjoy your stay'

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ellena C said:

What I can suggest is not to get morethan 2 tourist visa stamp on your passport in 12 months.

My farang friend who always visits TH for his GF, regardless of his financial capabilities got jailed in the subvarnabumi airport only because he's got too many tourist visa stamp on his passport. We (his friends had to settle his flight going back straight to USA on the same day so thag he wont stay longer in that <deleted>ty jail) cost him a lot of stress and money. He is based in SE Asia for his business and wasnt allowed to go back to TH unless he arrange a different visa to stay other than tourist from his country. That cost moo much time delay and money.

Please do not let yourself be in that situation. Thai people are friendly? Well don't include the people in power. They can be really tough and can give you a lot of stress regardless of your capabilities if they have to implement the law.

You can get a 9months+ stay here with multiple entry stamp. If you like the country, please settle a better visa than 60days tourist. Plenty of legal offices around that can help you.

Yet I have come and gone for the last five years...yes that's FIVE years, every month on visa exempt entries. Gone through 3 Aussie passports in that time due to full page visa stickers from an adjoining country.

On 10/13/2019 at 7:09 AM, Wytchend said:

I'm also not comfortable leaving $50,000 in a country where I might not be allowed to return to collect it.

I thought retirement extension requires 800,000 = $27000 

unless has gone up in last few days and I’m not aware of that.

Retirement extension is the best option (out/in without any problem) for someone at your age if the fund is available. there is no 100% guaranty for entering the country by other visas. 

20 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Due to the fact the OP wants to return regularly to Australia this info probably won't help him. Maybe it can help others!

O-A ME's will still be doable from Oz for anyone wanting to go back and renew every two years only; thereby avoiding the monthly transfers or money in bank.

Travel insurance is available from the link for approximately Aud.$1200 for two years cover. The original policy can be renewed for a second year immediately after purchase. This is not a multi-trip policy and more than covers the requirements. The only drawback is a return to Oz before two years is up will void the remainder of the policy.

https://travelinsurancesaver.com.au/compare-insurance/results?MAJOR_DEST=Thailand&START=01/11/2019&FINISH=31/10/2020&ADULT_AGE=65&ADULT_AGE_2=0&is72HUSAAntarctica=False&is72HCanada=False&is72HSouthCentralAmerica=False&snowCover=False&cruise=False&noExcess=False&amt=False&emc=False&moreOptions=False&partner=compare-insurance

Screenshot_2019-10-14-16-37-50-884_com.android.browser.png

Screenshot_2019-10-14-16-38-42-422_com.android.browser.png

Screenshot_2019-10-14-16-39-03-848_com.android.browser.png

Screenshot_2019-10-14-16-38-10-226_com.android.browser.png

5 hours ago, The Theory said:

I thought retirement extension requires 800,000 = $27000 

unless has gone up in last few days and I’m not aware of that.

Retirement extension is the best option (out/in without any problem) for someone at your age if the fund is available. there is no 100% guaranty for entering the country by other visas. 

You're obviously equating durian with lumyai if you think Aud.$27,000 will get you Bht. 800,000.

My last tranfer I got Bht 20.6-Aud$1.00. Not complaining, just telling it how it is!