BANGKOK
Wytchend

Am I likely to get refused entry at immigration?

Hi all,

Im returning to Bangkok next month on a SETV 60 days.

I rotate my time & spend 2 months in Brisbane, then 2 months in Bangkok to see friends and enjoy myself. I always use SETV which is provided by the Thai Consulate here. 

I'm 56, not retired, or working, as I have no need to anymore.

For the past two years I have had 3 of these visas per year, and stay about 58 days each time.

I always arrive with more than the required funds, and a return ticket back to Australia. I'm also mindful of this 180 day limit. 

Am I also in danger of getting refused. And if so, what should I do?, request an appeal?

As I arrive on a direct Air Asia flight I've considered flying on to Vientiane in order to cross by land if I get refused.

The staff here at the Consulate have told me I should never have a problem, but they are aware IO are now operating with impunity. Just a matter of time I fear?

I'm trying to cover all bases & do the right thing, always within the law. I've never had a visa extension.

Can anyone advise if my strategy is ok? or if I should do more.

I still find generally Thais are one of the most welcoming people on the planet. They appear blissfully unaware of our troubles as the new anti farang policies do not appear in the media.

Like many of you I am considering a move to the Philipines or Vietnam. I don't have a retirement visa because I love to travel the country.

I'm also not comfortable leaving $50,000 in a country where I might not be allowed to return to collect it.

Does anyone know if the 6 month tourist visa limit is a real directive (legal under Thai law)?

The embassy here say it is not, & technically I could get as many of the SETV as I want.

Though I would be insane to try it under the current regime?

Thank you

With your pattern of travel to Thailand you would not have an issue. The only thing is the belief that the io has good look at your passport with 180 days in any given year and your in that window. Thing is you are spending good amount of time in oz between visits to los. Also you have a visa. Most (not all) denied entry come from folk basically living here ongoing. 

Have cash on you. Hotel booking never hurts and a print out of your return flight would be a good idea. All of which not required IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not opposite advice mate - to be honest nobody really knows. But there was a report of a guy not long ago on about 160 days per year being refused so it's a dice roll at best in this case. They don't want regular tourists and this guy has got 7 SETVs in his passport which could raise their spider senses. But as you say, he is spending some time at home between visas, and he doesn't seem to be extending them, so I would guess it's 50-50.

Edited by SteveK
  • Thanks 1

Not a bad idea to fly from Vientiane or Kuala Lumpur. I think you are at risk but it doesn't mean you will be systemically denied entry with your history. 

• Like 1

I don't think you will have a problem with your history.

If you have a ticket out the country within 60 days it would help to prove you are not using tourist visas to live here.

Also have at least the equivalent of 20k baht to show if asked for it.

• Thanks 1

The only thing you can controll is youre entry point. 

I would first go to Kl it has most flights per day like 10 .So if you are denied entry youre not locked up overnight in a cell and you can fly back same day to kl at youre great expense. But it beats a cell mate. Then you cross by land.

There are many ways to enter. Like all the land boarders. 1 really easy spot is langkawi to phuket.

Take a ferry to koh lipe and youre in. The immigration at koh lipe is just a tourist mil on the beach.

I just did my 90th visa exempt in 12 years.  I flew out and in same day to kl. Got really lucky it seems reading all the hype.

• Thanks 1

I have kids, property & a half life in Australia, so I can prove I will always leave (and I do). I just want to follow the rules, to stay as long is acceptable & legal. There just doesn't seem to be a fixed rule to follow.

I do rent a condo in Bangkok on an ongoing basis, so I have a permanent base here. I don't use hotels. I'm not even sure if that works against me.

And then I have the consulate here saying here is your visa (or lottery ticket) Good luck, you will need it, because there are no rules! 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Wytchend said:

I have kids, property & a half life in Australia, so I can prove I will always leave (and I do). I just want to follow the rules, to stay as long is acceptable & legal. There just doesn't seem to be a fixed rule to follow.

I do rent a condo in Bangkok on an ongoing basis, so I have a permanent base here. I don't use hotels. I'm not even sure if that works against me.

And then I have the consulate here saying here is your visa (or lottery ticket) Good luck, you will need it, because there are no rules! 

Having had couple more reads of your OP along with this post, I'm thinking you should have been using extensions based on retirement. The not wishing to have money in Thai bank for fear of losing it is bit of a furphy. BTW its bit under 40k aud. Stick it in FD account and that's done.  

You wish to travel to Vietnam is very simple. You being oz can obtain various visas. I obtain four 3 month multi to Vietnam per year. Easy with bkk your base. 

You will need to visit CW imm once a year to obtain your extension. Don't listen to all the tm30 nonsense. I do ONE per year just prior to obtaining new extension.

With extensions based on retirement you won't have any nervous flights. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wytchend said:

Exactly. You might well have all the proof that would be needed to convince any sane person, but if they refuse to even look at it, you're out of luck on that particular day at that particular point of entry.

• Like 2

your better to  kul still flying air asia

then your options are plenty
its also cheaper to fly to Vientiane if you still want to go that route
plus if you fly into dmk your only sent back to kul

as suggested langkawi is very under used one every hour from kul about $15 if booked ahead

duty free island decent grub
you can go to koh lipe or satun by boat satuns two hrs from hat yai 
booked ahead can be as little as 640 baht with nok  hdy-dmk
or take the new chinese sleeper train for double that

maybe also Thai IO @ dmk are more tolerant of Aussies 
20k and return ticket mandatory though 

its anybodies guess about immigration you got plenty of options though 

• Like 1