The haunting: Return of the gas log fire.

carlyai

Well it's nearing our few cold days here in Isaan, so I thought I'd better finish putting in the flue for the fireplace.

This 'rush project' (about 4 or 5 years now I think, can't find the origional thread), was either going to be completed or scrapped. 'Completed' won my vote but the better half ....well they can't see the benefits for the mess.

Unfortunately a chiminey is necessary to vent the fumes, and unfortunately wifey had the fireplace enclosed while I was away...so now I've gotta break it open to install the flue. So plan D (up to plan D now), is to cut a channel in the tiles/bricks/steel from the metal top of the fireplace to the wall, then assemble the fireplace and flue, slide it all back in, then cut a hole in the cavity wall to allow the flue to exit.

My question is: what type of sealer or silicon can I use between the stainless flue and the cavity wall? The sealant has to be heat resistant (the flue has 2 pipes, a smaller one for the burnt gas and the outside stainless one) and waterproof to stop the rain getting in.

Some other info: the flue specifications must have a certain rise to run ratio(so the book says) and it won't run unvented (tried that) due to safety cutout.

20191013_063829.jpg20191013_063815.jpg20191013_063842.jpg20191011_085615.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

I would go and buy a fan-heater :whistling:

Most of the "experts" use a regular sand/cement mortar to seal to the outside wall. Regular wall filler if there's any tidying on the inside.

EDIT And don't forget to install CO (carbon monoxide) detector in the room.

An alternative is build a wall around the flu going up to the ceiling. Then the flu can go in the cavity. No need to go through / seal the external wall and the flu stays totally hidden and goes straight up with no bends. This wall could be made of cement board and have the same stone fascia as the fireplace to improve the look to that of a brick fireplace & chimney.

An alternative is build a wall around the flu going up to the ceiling. Then the flu can go in the cavity. No need to go through / seal the external wall and the flu stays totally hidden and goes straight up with no bends. This wall could be made of cement board and have the same stone fascia as the fireplace to improve the look to that of a brick fireplace & chimney.

Trouble is I've gotta vaulted (think that's what they call it) ceiling. It's a long way up there, and as SWMBO reminds me about not being able to reach the spider webs.
I think if I channel out the tiles all the way to the wall, I can push the fireplace and flue back and put the TV in front to hide the flue and only move the TV for the weeks around Christmas. I've gotta redo the front tiling anyway as they're only tile pictures of bricks. Horrible job, I should have just knocked the whole lot down and put the fireplace out in the shed.20191013_100817.jpg

But, that´s perfect. Coming to stay in Thailand and build a fire place? Sounds to me like you would do better trying to sell ice on the North Pole. Cheers!

It ain´t that cold.
We get those cold winds blowing across the plains from China around Chrissy and it is cold. Can't remember exactly but think it get to arould 9 degrees C or less. That's cold for me and the Isaan people have 3 coats on by then.

Most of the "experts" use a regular sand/cement mortar to seal to the outside wall. Regular wall filler if there's any tidying on the inside.

It's got a detector in it, and switches the gas off now if I assemble it with the glass door on.
You're the one that has caused all this grief by telling me to put the flue on, and I always do what you say....eventually. Better to be safe.
In the old days in Aus we had a gas fire heater and and they vented into the loungeroom. That's how they were set up. Just left a window open near the heater.

Is the sand/cement going to seal around the SS pipe?
Maybe I need a square section of SS with a hole for the flue and a 4 cm return on the SS hole on the outside wall with some heat resistant silicon.

21 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Is the sand/cement going to seal around the SS pipe?

That's what the gas guys say in the UK, get it all fixed so it's not going to move or vibrate before putting in the mortar and you should be good. You could use fire-resistant foam too.

Don't over-think these things or it will be another 5 years ????

Now, about that fan-heater ...

You do realize that a fireplace may not obviate the ritual that just has to be done:  Put on Eskimo suit, go out and start the sticky rice, as soon as you see your neighbor say "NOW".  Your neighbor says "NOW" both to you and her neighbor and it goes around the village (like a stadium "wave") until it returns and start again.  It's important to keep the conversation to just one word:  NOW.

At some point, someone will start a fire and it's time to eat sticky rice.

Well fire and flue attached. Seems to work venting into the room and not switched off. Will put the logs on and give it a final 'all assembled' test. Then tomorrow make wifey more happyier and cut the tiles, bricks, steel out and hole in the wall.

I'm good at using the old repaired vacuum cleaners to suck up most of the drilled cement dust cause I get into less trouble.

Edit

Picture20191014_112019.jpg

Well there you go!

So I take the flue off for tomorrow's demolition work...and it all falls to bits[emoji21] Looks like the stainless inner tube was never welded but silver soldered?

What would possess a person to solder a flue that's going to get hot?
After 4 or 5 years my warranty period is probably over.

Getting intouch with my SS man back in the UK for some sense.

20191014_155540.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Well there you go!

So I take the flue off for tomorrow's demolition work...and it all falls to bits[emoji21] Looks like the stainless inner tube was never welded but silver soldered?

What would possess a person to solder a flue that's going to get hot?
After 4 or 5 years my warranty period is probably over.

Getting intouch with my SS man back in the UK for some sense.

20191014_155540.jpg.aa60af78aabe947d583ac4c8829a54be.jpg

Much later...me thinks that maybe it was a bad soldered joint, so going to cut out concrete and hole in the cavity wall and fire it up again.

• 1 month later...

All installed and working. Just in time for the 12 degrees over the last days and the cold days are still coming.

Chiminey made up and extended thru the cavity wall to a the rest of the assembly. Works well. 

Rendered the wall to chiminey with sand and cement then undercoat and paint, and no problems with heat. Was worried about that.

Retiled with sandstone tiles. All good.

Finally figured out that my Samsung smartphone does not work as it did before with TV. Laptop works fine, but all the pictures of the installation are on the smartphone. 

Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions.

Archived