Supplements Confiscated upon Entry

TimLMT

I brought a rather large supply of supplements into the country and my bags were searched and they confiscated them.  I asked why and the only answer they gave me was it was too much and that I was only allowed to bring 3 months worth.  Can anyone direct me to where I can find out more about this? where are the rules and regulations for over the counter supplements from the US?

Thanks for your help...

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

google can assist. 

hey steven, not finding google very effective at the moment... I am looking for the specific reason they were taken as a starting point.  are we not allowed to bring supplements? should I have declaired them?

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, TimLMT said:

hey steven, not finding google very effective at the moment... I am looking for the specific reason they were taken as a starting point.  are we not allowed to bring supplements? should I have declaired them?

hmmmm …. it will be written down somewhere, let me look into it. 

I have brought into Thailand , thru Swampy ,6 months supply of two prescription medicines on many occasions. Always in carry on luggage and never been asked/searched once. Both are available here but terribly expensive. The Australian PBS  helps with the cost.

• Like 2

It all depends on where you arrive and if they scan your luggage and of course your luck. For the last 6 years I always bring 8 months worth of medication this includes Multi Vitamins, cod liver oil, stomach acid reduction tablets, 3 different heart medications and high strength Codeine and paracetamol painkillers for my back pain. I always carry in hold luggage split 50/50 between mine and my wife's luggage. This year for the first time my wife's luggage was scanned but not mine. No questions asked just waved in.  

17 hours ago, wazzadg44 said:

I have brought into Thailand , thru Swampy ,6 months supply of two prescription medicines on many occasions. Always in carry on luggage and never been asked/searched once. Both are available here but terribly expensive. The Australian PBS  helps with the cost.

I order from iHerb.com.  Free shipping and if you keep the order under $50 it comes straight through.  If over $50 I have to go into town to pick it up and pay the duty.

• Like 1

Wanted to get some ZBEC vitamins at pharmacy here (zinc + vitamins B,E, and C). Was told had to have prescription.

Meanwhile, you can buy antibiotics like Cipro over the counter. Go figure.

• Like 1

Declare what?  ever given a form like you enter U.S. to declare something?

Over ten years ago I used to take a flight into Thailand just before midnight.  Whenever I come back from the States even now I load up on vitamins buy what I need for the year for the entire family from Costco, in general you are talking about 20 bottles that doesn't include all the other stuff in volume.

Never thought twice of what I was doing when I came in near midnight stop and had my bags examined, the guy at the monitor signal to another regarding my bag I opened it and the guy ran over to basically say I had too many. Speaking some Thai at that time I questioned him as what is considered too much? He had no idea couldn't read or write English I pull out all the bottles and separated them and pointed out they are are different, took out pictures of my Thai family and did the math for them if taken as a family each day it would be all gone " not for sale " which is really their concern.

The guy just looked at me confused smiled speechless so I just started to pack up and slip away out the door.  I got lucky sure there is a money limit so now I keep all my receipts when I come in just in case I also travel with a family member so with four bags check in when packing I spread things out not placing everything in one bag.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bprhodes said:

I order from iHerb.com.  Free shipping and if you keep the order under $50 it comes straight through.  If over $50 I have to go into town to pick it up and pay the duty.

free shipping ? when is the last time you ordered ? now it is 150 - 350 baht shipping for items that is not a small bottle

18 hours ago, jimn said:

stomach acid reduction tablets

99 percent of the world has not enough stomach acid when getting older to digest food

you don't need less stomach acid, you need more

APPLE CIDER VINEGAR (villa market) , one teaspoon in a glass of water 15-30 min before a meal

• Like 2

18 hours ago, wazzadg44 said:

That's what I do too.

The OP's predicament probably arose because Customs thought he was bringing in a commercial quantity for resale.

I've found iHerb is about half the price of supplements here, even when shipping cost is included. Thanks again, BritManToo.

18 hours ago, wazzadg44 said:

Likewise, I have often brought  in more than 6 months supply of my bp meds. 

Never ever been queried...

I'm a little worried now, because I was intending to bring over 12mths supply, into Thailand, early next year.. 

The meds are subsided in NZ, but very expensive when I buy them in Thailand. 

I also bring large quantity of fish oil tabs. Usually leave in checked luggage... 

I've brought in a 1Kg bag of creatine from the US with no problems. That's a good 6 to 8 month supply.

Also recently came back from US through swampy with two check-ins filled with all sorts of food and electrical appliances with no issues. And my flight to BKK was from HK, which is usually scrutinized by Thai Customs. Just luck of the draw I guess. 

18 minutes ago, moe666 said:

I have brought many vitamins to Thailand over the years, you could hear them rattling around in case but never searched my bags the OP must have made something very obvious about his cargo

You might not be so lucky when they start to x ray all incoming bags, the op was just unlucky to get picked out, had my bag x rayed last year at customs.

On 10/13/2019 at 1:52 PM, holy cow cm said:

I'm sure all supplements can be bought here, just maybe not under your brand preference. Why did they stop you? Too many bags?

There are definitely supplements which are not available in LOS.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

You might not be so lucky when they start to x ray all incoming bags, the op was just unlucky to get picked out, had my bag x rayed last year at customs.

They scanned my bag in August, it had a coffee machine in it ????

They didn't even ask to look at it...

That is the case however its 3 months per person - if you can produce other passports or copies of they should give it back.  Best thing is to get it here through iherb who now have a thai site.  its about the same for most.  Only unusual products not included here.