Supplements Confiscated upon Entry

TimLMT

20 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Bring a bunch in myself every entry, no plomem. 

BUT have you been STOPPED AND XRAYED with them?

Many foriegners are not stopped and walk right through....

Just the luck of each of us.......

1 hour ago, justin case said:

99 percent of the world has not enough stomach acid when getting older to digest food

you don't need less stomach acid, you need more

APPLE CIDER VINEGAR (villa market) , one teaspoon in a glass of water 15-30 min before a meal

They are for bad reflux. Had the issue for years. Dont tell me I dont need them, I tried coming off them and was worse.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, justin case said:

free shipping ? when is the last time you ordered ? now it is 150 - 350 baht shipping for items that is not a small bottle

I put in an order yesterday and it was free shipping! seems to be "pot luck" now, sometimes you have to pay for shipping, other times not!

On 10/14/2019 at 8:39 AM, robblok said:

Supplements are a lot more expensive in this country. Crazy more expensive. 

So true. When compared to online sources, some of the supplements I looked at were four or five times the price in Thailand stores. Also, you really don't have the same wide selection here. Only supplements I buy here are Boots brand fish oil and multivitamins. All the rest are bought online and so far (touch wood) I have never had a problem with deliveries and customs. I would not buy loads of supplements to bring in with my luggage because of the potential problems. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2019 at 8:19 AM, TimLMT said:

hey steven, not finding google very effective at the moment... I am looking for the specific reason they were taken as a starting point.  are we not allowed to bring supplements? should I have declaired them?

Why did they go through your bags on arrival? Any obvious reason? 

22 hours ago, wazzadg44 said:

I have brought into Thailand , thru Swampy ,6 months supply of two prescription medicines on many occasions. Always in carry on luggage and never been asked/searched once. Both are available here but terribly expensive. The Australian PBS  helps with the cost.

There is always a first time.

In the many times I have travelled overseas through the Thai customs machine, going through BKK I have never gotten my bag scanned, same at DMK. However in the rare case i have terminated an overseas trip directly in CM, they quite often Xray bags. once had to pay 2000baht duty on my 3d printer. I ebb with caution now, except lately they either don't check, or they say only need to check one bag, which is strange.  The last time through BKK there was a line of Chinese waiting to get scanned at the Xray, and I just sailed right past without a word.

Pretty much all countries have their rules regarding the quantity of supplements you're allowed to bring in.

One reason might be that you can get various stuff cheaper in the West and you could resell it. It's more an International rule. 

But you can get all under a different brand here. 

Here's part of a German custom's website that explains it:

"In this connection you should be aware that products that are freely traded in your own country such as food supplements, vitamin preparations, or purely vegetable natural medicines, may be treated as medicinal products in Germany, and therefore fall within the scope of the Medicinal Products Act, particularly where they are presented as agents for the treatment of illnesses. The provisions of the medicinal products legislation of the country in which such preparation is being offered or sold are not of relevance here.

https://www.zoll.de/EN/Private-individuals/Travel/Entering-Germany/Restrictions/Medicinal-products-and-narcotics/medicinal-products-and-narcotics_node.html

Edited by Isaanbiker

In 6 years never had my bags searched. You just lucky??  I've had my share of Immigration Officer proctology exams but never a bag search.  Anyway if they think you are making money for any reason and don't have paperwork to support it expect them to side on screwing you and seizing your stuff.  Going and searching for the law that outlines their actions or even hiring a lawyer to fight that battle will end with you right back where you started. 

4 hours ago, justin case said:

99 percent of the world has not enough stomach acid when getting older to digest food

you don't need less stomach acid, you need more

APPLE CIDER VINEGAR (villa market) , one teaspoon in a glass of water 15-30 min before a meal

I heard that also so started using the ACV pills as they are easy to carry around and travel with.  Been a life saver.

• Like 1

I buy a lot of supplements, now only at Vitacost.com, so everything is coming from the US, by experience, not far height years, I pay attention for the parcel to stay under one kilo, till now it's working, the shipping cost is 9,9$ so no problem to do it regularly. The parcesl arrived at the Thai post office, so no problem with the Thai customs.

But if supplements come from anywhere, I mean any country, with DHL, FEDEX, UPS, a problem with the customs is almost guaranty, by problem I mean needing to fetch your parcel at the customs office, pay some tax, but sometimes not too much, and in my case at least never confiscated.
PS: When I say a lot it's a lot, I have a fridge dedicated only to my supplements vitamins and so on LOL

23 hours ago, NancyL said:

It maybe helped that in the same shipment, I had a couple cases of Chicken of the Sea Pink Salmon Pouches, plainly labeled "Product of Thailand".  That was a real ice-breaker.  It's an export product, not available for sale in Thailand and caused much mirth and comment among the customs officials.    

Nancy, how exactly did you come into contact with the customs folks in CM re your package?

In BKK, the few times I've ever had any customs issues with USPS packages, I get a notice of duty due in my mailbox, and then have to go to the regional post office to get the package and pay the duty.

But the guys at the post office only handle the package and collecting the duty. If I have some objection about the amount of the duty or anything else, they only give me a phone number for customs office elsewhere in BKK (that's nowhere near where my post office is located).

54 minutes ago, Megascott said:

In the many times I have travelled overseas through the Thai customs machine, going through BKK I have never gotten my bag scanned, same at DMK. However in the rare case i have terminated an overseas trip directly in CM, they quite often Xray bags. once had to pay 2000baht duty on my 3d printer. I ebb with caution now, except lately they either don't check, or they say only need to check one bag, which is strange.  The last time through BKK there was a line of Chinese waiting to get scanned at the Xray, and I just sailed right past without a word.

I read a few months ago that new X-ray scanners are being introduced at the airports so all check-in luggage can be scanned. Whether they will scan all incoming luggage also is something that was not stated.  If they do be careful about bringing in all those extra bottles of expensive booze... as well as foodstuffs and pills.

17 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

I read a few months ago that new X-ray scanners are being introduced at the airports so all check-in luggage can be scanned. Whether they will scan all incoming luggage also is something that was not stated.  If they do be careful about bringing in all those extra bottles of expensive booze... as well as foodstuffs and pills.

Oh my Oh my !….. this was my al round supply in 1June 2018....:whistling:  should I risk next one as scanners now :unsure:

My imported  foods.jpg

Edited by david555

4 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

That is the case however its 3 months per person - if you can produce other passports or copies of they should give it back.  Best thing is to get it here through iherb who now have a thai site.  its about the same for most.  Only unusual products not included here.

what do you mean ?  some reseller that started the problems and selling 3x the price of the real iherb ?

I once had to go to customs, because value was over 100$

I had ordered many times before, value over 100$ without problem

they spoke about people buying and reselling ...

I said: this is personal use and 3 people in the family using it...

now I have to spread orders

but they also mentioned some people do this with small packages, 10x, 20x at the time to avoid customs

1 hour ago, ThaiWai said:

I heard that also so started using the ACV pills as they are easy to carry around and travel with.  Been a life saver.

good for you

many years ago, I had gastorparesis, you know, dead stomach ...

went to visit 3x with the "experts" in expensive hospitals

x-ray, gastroscopy, barium, ...

idiopathic they said =  they don't have a clue what to do

H2 proton pump blockers and other <deleted>

did not solve the problem

till I started to read and find a real solution .... I did not have enough stomach acid, that gave me serious REFLUX, GERD ...

if your stomach does not have enough acid, it does not give a signal to the rest of the digestion to open the valve at the bottom of your stomach to move the food...

and MD'S in any country make it worse by giving you medication that KILLS the little you have remaining =  customer for life

that is many years ago and now, if I have a problem, I FAST for as long as I am hungry again or my stomach feels better and ACV can help to digest the stuck food and open the gates ????

Edited by justin case

6 hours ago, Emdog said:

Wanted to get some ZBEC vitamins at pharmacy here (zinc + vitamins B,E, and C). Was told had to have prescription.

Meanwhile, you can buy antibiotics like Cipro over the counter. Go figure.

I have ordered numerous times from iherb for CoQ-10, Turmeric and other things. Normally the site tells me when I get over the limit for the free shipping as the totally cost to high by this amount or to much weight. So I adjust the order. Only one problem when I ordered two separate shipment on the same day. The first order arrived in about 9-10 days. The second was missing.

Contacted iHerb and they refunded the amount but informed me from then on free shipping to Thailand would not be refunded until the order arrived back to the store because they can't track the shipment. Just checked my orders and I see it did return finally. The last order of 6 items I paid $8.37 shipping. All orders delivered to by door here in Nonthaburi with no problem.

As for Zinc, I have purchased from the small drug stores with no problem along with anything they have on the shelve (not behind the counter). I would suggest going to another store.

I have also brought back large amounts of vitamins, prescription medication from Tricare and the VA in checked bags with no problem. The only time bag was ever checked was by TSA some where before Thailand. Found the note/letter in the bag when I opened and nothing missing. Just we checked your bag.

I have a friend who gets a year supply of his prescription meds at a time in the US and brings back with no problem. Now that we no longer have an APO, so no way for Tricare to ship to Thailand so may try the same. 

Edited by allen303

12 minutes ago, allen303 said:

As for Zinc, I have purchased from the small drug stores with no problem along with anything they have on the shelve (not behind the counter). I would suggest going to another store.

zinc here in thailand will be OXIDE in most cases

and is USELESS

zinc oxide is only good in skin care, but you need picolinate zinc for absorption for prostate, immune support

I bring 12 months worth of blood pressure tablets every year, there are 30 to a box so there’s 12 boxes, however there is room in the box to put another 60 tablets so each box now has 90 tablets so 3 boxes is 270 it’s looks like 3 months worth and each box says 30 tablets even though it has 90. The remainder I put in my carry on. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

That is the case however its 3 months per person - if you can produce other passports or copies of they should give it back.  Best thing is to get it here through iherb who now have a thai site.  its about the same for most.  Only unusual products not included here.

Now have a Thai site? Do you have a link?

17 minutes ago, justin case said:

zinc here in thailand will be OXIDE in most cases

and is USELESS

zinc oxide is only good in skin care, but you need picolinate zinc for absorption for prostate, immune support

Thanks for the heads up.

Taking Zinc Picolinate 25mg from iherb right now. The Thai is from VISTRA 15mg,natural extract, says zinc amino acid Chelate. Imported from the US by MDB health care company.

Unsure about if it the right thing

19 minutes ago, allen303 said:

Now have a Thai site? Do you have a link?

Im in malaysia at the moment so it defaults to My.iherb but it should be https://th.iherb.com/.  

It will default to your country now. I had no problems ordering from the US site before - anticipate no problems from the Thai link - may be the same order mechanism.

1 hour ago, justin case said:

what do you mean ?  some reseller that started the problems and selling 3x the price of the real iherb ?

I once had to go to customs, because value was over 100$

I had ordered many times before, value over 100$ without problem

they spoke about people buying and reselling ...

I said: this is personal use and 3 people in the family using it...

now I have to spread orders

but they also mentioned some people do this with small packages, 10x, 20x at the time to avoid customs

It can be a <deleted> shoot unfortunately - like all random laws in thailand there are multiple variations as to how it is enforced from None - to overdone.  Easiest thing is to get it sent non-tracked (UPS).

5 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

it is 30 days per person, not 3 months.

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2019 at 2:05 PM, jimn said:

It all depends on where you arrive and if they scan your luggage and of course your luck. For the last 6 years I always bring 8 months worth of medication this includes Multi Vitamins, cod liver oil, stomach acid reduction tablets, 3 different heart medications and high strength Codeine and paracetamol painkillers for my back pain. I always carry in hold luggage split 50/50 between mine and my wife's luggage. This year for the first time my wife's luggage was scanned but not mine. No questions asked just waved in.  

If checked you could get in serious trouble for the codeine which is a strictly controlled narcotic in Thailand  and requires a permit from the FDA Narcotics division to bring in.

• Like 1