Supplements Confiscated upon Entry

TimLMT

7 hours ago, Emdog said:

Wanted to get some ZBEC vitamins at pharmacy here (zinc + vitamins B,E, and C). Was told had to have prescription.

Meanwhile, you can buy antibiotics like Cipro over the counter. Go figure.

the person who told you this had no idea what the medication was you referred to and simply made up a favorite (and usually untrue) reply pharmacy staff  here often used  when asked about something unfamiliar.

ZBEC does not require a prescription. Neither do any other zinc/B/C preparations of which there are many.

You can even buy it online from Lazada

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/z-bec-3-60-i124702100-s130654263.html

You will find Berocca brand is better known and easier to find. All the shops have it.

4 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Im in malaysia at the moment so it defaults to My.iherb but it should be https://th.iherb.com/.  

It will default to your country now. I had no problems ordering from the US site before - anticipate no problems from the Thai link - may be the same order mechanism.

that is just a translation, not an actual live different site, all ship from good old USA

On 10/13/2019 at 8:03 AM, TimLMT said:

I brought a rather large supply of supplements into the country and my bags were searched and they confiscated them.  I asked why and the only answer they gave me was it was too much and that I was only allowed to bring 3 months worth.  Can anyone direct me to where I can find out more about this? where are the rules and regulations for over the counter supplements from the US?

The Customs Dept has an English-speaking call centre, perhaps they'd be a good place to start? 02 667 6000.

• Thanks 1

unbelievable ….  6 pages on why you were questioned at entry.

IO doesn't give a rats about FDA or any other rule  ...

YOU CAN BRING ENOUGH FOR 30 DAYS ….  end of story

common sense would tell me that it is acceptable to bring in a small amount.

it's not rocket science.

Edited by steven100

On 10/13/2019 at 10:03 AM, hyku1147 said:

IHerb, et al to the rescue?

How will IHerb et al help? Unless you know something I dont, it still has to come though Thai Customs, who are a known pain in the a***. Every time I cross swords with them I get a different answer.

Customs once told me that one is allowed a maximum of six items of the same type. Another said some supplements are classed as drugs, (humble Vit C being one example would you believe), which need a licence to import. Another said you are allowed a reasonable quantity for personal use.

A certain well known hospital (the most expensive one in Thailand) actually employs smugglers to bring illegal stuff in.

Edited by DaRoadrunner

12 hours ago, Emdog said:

Wanted to get some ZBEC vitamins at pharmacy here (zinc + vitamins B,E, and C). Was told had to have prescription.

Meanwhile, you can buy antibiotics like Cipro over the counter. Go figure.

Where is here ? I have bought ZBEC vitamins in Rayong, Pattaya and Bangkok. Never been asked any questions or for a perscription.

8 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Pretty much all countries have their rules regarding the quantity of supplements you're allowed to bring in.

One reason might be that you can get various stuff cheaper in the West and you could resell it. It's more an International rule. 

But you can get all under a different brand here. 

Here's part of a German custom's website that explains it:

"In this connection you should be aware that products that are freely traded in your own country such as food supplements, vitamin preparations, or purely vegetable natural medicines, may be treated as medicinal products in Germany, and therefore fall within the scope of the Medicinal Products Act, particularly where they are presented as agents for the treatment of illnesses. The provisions of the medicinal products legislation of the country in which such preparation is being offered or sold are not of relevance here.

https://www.zoll.de/EN/Private-individuals/Travel/Entering-Germany/Restrictions/Medicinal-products-and-narcotics/medicinal-products-and-narcotics_node.html

You can not get  "all"  suppliments here but just with another brand name. Try getting L-Citrulline here under any brand name.

12 hours ago, jimn said:

They are for bad reflux. Had the issue for years. Dont tell me I dont need them, I tried coming off them and was worse.

The link below shows why you may not need them . I have used Apple cider vinegar  and friends the capsuls to get rid of or prevent acid reflux.   A tea spoon in half glass/glass of water 15---20 mins before a meal.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324034.php

Can search for  other articles on the subject , I have used a tablespoon but some can't tolerate that much.

PS: I forgot to mention it must be organic apple cider vinegar containing the Mother ----the raw essence of vinegar that makes it look like dirt in the bottom of bottle. Shake it well befor drinking.

Edited by Tony125

13 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

How will IHerb et al help? Unless you know something I dont, it still has to come though Thai Customs, who are a known pain in the a***. Every time I cross swords with them I get a different answer.

Customs once told me that one is allowed a maximum of six items of the same type. Another said some supplements are classed as drugs, (humble Vit C being one example would you believe), which need a licence to import. Another said you are allowed a reasonable quantity for personal use.

iHerb has worked out the best way to ship to Thailand i.e. small quantities valued under a certain threshold and via regular mail not Courier.  If you try to order above that threshhold you'll get an error message. Their system works 99% of the time, things sail right through.  No need to go to customs.

Supplements ARE classed as drugs and technically you do need an import license to bring in any amount of drugs.  That is the law. In practice customs has been letting through small quantities for personal use if sent by regular mail. That could change at any time.

17 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Where is here ? I have bought ZBEC vitamins in Rayong, Pattaya and Bangkok. Never been asked any questions or for a perscription.

Pharmacy section of Big C Ramkhamhaeng. Hmmm

On 10/15/2019 at 12:12 PM, Max69xl said:

Why did they go through your bags on arrival? Any obvious reason? 

not really, i think it was just time for the young person to check a bag since several had gone by without scanning.  just the luck of the draw i suppose...

On 10/14/2019 at 4:54 PM, wazzadg44 said:

I have brought into Thailand , thru Swampy ,6 months supply of two prescription medicines on many occasions. Always in carry on luggage and never been asked/searched once. Both are available here but terribly expensive. The Australian PBS  helps with the cost.

To date I have not been asked or searched, I too bring 5-6 months worth, but 7 different scripts... Takes a lot of space. I split them into two bags just in case one gets lost... Was not aware of the limits....Hopefully I get through next month. 

The PBS certainly saves us a lot of money. I did a price comparison and even including the airfare it was still far cheaper to get at home. One drug none of the pharmacies has anyway. Sucks getting old ! ???? 

• 4 months later...
On 10/16/2019 at 10:38 AM, Sheryl said:

iHerb has worked out the best way to ship to Thailand i.e. small quantities valued under a certain threshold and via regular mail not Courier.  If you try to order above that threshhold you'll get an error message. Their system works 99% of the time, things sail right through.  No need to go to customs.

Supplements ARE classed as drugs and technically you do need an import license to bring in any amount of drugs.  That is the law. In practice customs has been letting through small quantities for personal use if sent by regular mail. That could change at any time.

Vitacost too, one order under 100 $ and the parcel under one kilo and of course sent by regular mail it will cost 9$ for the delivery, I'm doing that for years now without any problems with the customs. Any companies sending supplements with couriers like DHL, FedEx, UPS the parcel will almost all the time go straight to the customs office, I learnt that in my first years in Thailand