Graves desecrated at Commonwealth war cemetery in Israel

rooster59

Graves desecrated at Commonwealth war cemetery in Israel

2019-10-12T201339Z_1_LYNXMPEF9B0M7_RTROPTP_4_ISRAEL-BRITAIN-CEMETERY.JPG

Graffiti of swastikas and other signs can be seen on headstones at the Haifa War Cemetery, where about 350 Commonwealth soldiers killed in World War One and World War Two are buried, Haifa Israel October 11, 2019. Picture taken October 11, 2019 REUTERS/Herzie Shapira

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Dozens of gravestones at a Commonwealth military cemetery in Israel were desecrated in what the Israeli foreign ministry said on Saturday was a suspected hate crime.

The Haifa War Cemetery is the burial site of about 340 Commonwealth soldiers, most of them killed in World War One and some in World War Two.

Photographs showed at least 30 tombstones sprayed with red paint. Some, including a Christian memorial topped with a stone cross, were daubed with swastikas.

The vandalism was discovered on Friday.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a statement that the graves' desecration was "an abhorrent crime" and that Israel would do everything possible to find the perpetrators and bring them to justice.

Britain captured Palestine from the crumbling Ottoman Empire during World War One in 1917, and later governed it under an international mandate.

According to The Commonwealth War Graves Commission, 86 of the 305 World War One Commonwealth burials at the cemetery are unidentified and 36 World War Two casualties are also buried at the site.

(Reporting by Maayan Lubell; Editing by Raissa Kasolowsky)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-13

10 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Wonder who could have done it ,Christian and Jewish graves desecrated , now thats a hard one ,whoever they were they need to be flogged .

Under some religions for doing such a crime would be cutting off of the hands so they can not do it again.

13 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Wonder who could have done it ,Christian and Jewish graves desecrated , now thats a hard one ,whoever they were they need to be flogged .

Where did you read about Jewish graves desecrated?

5 minutes ago, 4737 Carlin said:

An obvious false flag to bolster the idea of a people under seige. Does anyone seriously believe there are gangs of neo nazi's roaming around Israel ?

I say "if the shoe fits, wear it"  what size shoes do Nazis wear?

10 minutes ago, 4737 Carlin said:

An obvious false flag to bolster the idea of a people under seige. Does anyone seriously believe there are gangs of neo nazi's roaming around Israel ?

Sounds like a conspiracy theory. Maybe better to wait until they find the perps and the motivation can be revealed. It's definitely a puzzling crime. 

48 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sounds like a conspiracy theory. Maybe better to wait until they find the perps and the motivation can be revealed. It's definitely a puzzling crime. 

I'll be most surprised if this or any other CWGC cemetery isn't yet covered by CCTV. 

2 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Zionist have form for killing British soldiers. Though wild speculation - as Sanemax says probably stupid kid vandals. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_David_Hotel_bombing

Off topic, needless reference to events 80 years ago .

Tut -tut, using the desecration of war grave to spread dislike of Jews .

I thought that UK Labour party has been trying to clamp down on that sort of thing 

9 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

Is it possible that Israeli kids are becoming conditioned (and perhaps traumatised) by the unceasing holocaust narrative and are growing up fearful that all westerners are potential Nazis?

I don't think so.

Consider that expatriating to Berlin is popular with young Israelis. 

23 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

Is it possible that Israeli kids are becoming conditioned (and perhaps traumatised) by the unceasing holocaust narrative and are growing up fearful that all westerners are potential Nazis?

Highly unlikely , probably just delinquents with a spray can

25 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

They would have to be extremely dim to think that soldiers who died fighting the Nazis...................were Nazis .

The law of return has led to some wired situations where the children of  Russian immigrants in particular have formed neo nazi cells - in Israel. 

Also just plain historical fact that modern Israel basically had to blast the Brits out before it could be formed, so easy enough to imagine the graves being targeted by ultra nationalists. 

The reality is however, who knows!

11 minutes ago, sanemax said:

They would have to be extremely dim to think that soldiers who died fighting the Nazis...................were Nazis .

Or maybe it's just a question of westerners being 'not one of us'?

I would like to know what all those graffiti symbols mean. Some are presumably Christian crosses, so the target is not just Nazis.

4 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

I won't comment on the irony of that, but I was thinking of 10-13 year olds who are surely growing up conditioned to have a sense of grievance.

What are you basing that on ?

What are you basing the statement that "Israeli kids are growing up conditioned to have a sense of grievance" ?"

8 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

I won't comment on the irony of that, but I was thinking of 10-13 year olds who are surely growing up conditioned to have a sense of grievance.

Why is that "ironic" 

World War 2 finished 75 years ago and the worlds moved on since then 

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

What are you basing that on ?

What are you basing the statement that "Israeli kids are growing up conditioned to have a sense of grievance" ?"

Kindly do not twist my words. It was not a statement but a hypothesis. I made that very clear.

It's psychology. I am open to correction but it seems to me that the holocaust still looms large in Jewish society, and if that is the incessant backdrop to growing up, of course it will affect kids' way of thinking about the world.

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Why is that "ironic" 

It's ironic because of all the trouble Israelis went to to create their own state.

And, by the way, it's rather naive to assume the world has moved on so much as you think. There's ample evidence of Nazism in today's Germany.

20 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

I don't think you know much about Israeli culture. It's different than diaspora Jewish culture. 

13 minutes ago, sanemax said:

32 minutes ago, sanemax said:

They weren't fighting Nazis, this was WW1, fighting the Ottoman Empire, I've a great uncle buried somewhere out there.

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't think you know much about Israeli culture. It's different than diaspora Jewish culture. 

So they've completely gotten over the holocaust in Israel? It's never mentioned on TV?

Don't they have a Holocaust Remembrance Day public holiday?

Archived