BANGKOK
rooster59

Graves desecrated at Commonwealth war cemetery in Israel

9 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

Is it possible that Israeli kids are becoming conditioned (and perhaps traumatised) by the unceasing holocaust narrative and are growing up fearful that all westerners are potential Nazis?

I don't think so.

Consider that expatriating to Berlin is popular with young Israelis. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

Is it possible that Israeli kids are becoming conditioned (and perhaps traumatised) by the unceasing holocaust narrative and are growing up fearful that all westerners are potential Nazis?

Highly unlikely , probably just delinquents with a spray can

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

They would have to be extremely dim to think that soldiers who died fighting the Nazis...................were Nazis .

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't think so.

Consider that expatriating to Berlin is popular with young Israelis. 

I won't comment on the irony of that, but I was thinking of 10-13 year olds who are surely growing up conditioned to have a sense of grievance.

The law of return has led to some wired situations where the children of  Russian immigrants in particular have formed neo nazi cells - in Israel. 

Also just plain historical fact that modern Israel basically had to blast the Brits out before it could be formed, so easy enough to imagine the graves being targeted by ultra nationalists. 

The reality is however, who knows!

11 minutes ago, sanemax said:

They would have to be extremely dim to think that soldiers who died fighting the Nazis...................were Nazis .

Or maybe it's just a question of westerners being 'not one of us'?

I would like to know what all those graffiti symbols mean. Some are presumably Christian crosses, so the target is not just Nazis.

4 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

I won't comment on the irony of that, but I was thinking of 10-13 year olds who are surely growing up conditioned to have a sense of grievance.

What are you basing that on ?

What are you basing the statement that "Israeli kids are growing up conditioned to have a sense of grievance" ?"

8 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

Why is that "ironic" 

World War 2 finished 75 years ago and the worlds moved on since then 

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Why is that "ironic" 

Agree...who really cares?

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

What are you basing that on ?

What are you basing the statement that "Israeli kids are growing up conditioned to have a sense of grievance" ?"

Kindly do not twist my words. It was not a statement but a hypothesis. I made that very clear.

It's psychology. I am open to correction but it seems to me that the holocaust still looms large in Jewish society, and if that is the incessant backdrop to growing up, of course it will affect kids' way of thinking about the world.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Why is that "ironic" 

It's ironic because of all the trouble Israelis went to to create their own state.

And, by the way, it's rather naive to assume the world has moved on so much as you think. There's ample evidence of Nazism in today's Germany.

20 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

I don't think you know much about Israeli culture. It's different than diaspora Jewish culture. 

Right now, some kids are probably laughing at the attention they're getting. If you were to quiz them on the symbols they used, they'd know just enough to know people would be <deleted> off.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sanemax said:

32 minutes ago, sanemax said:

They weren't fighting Nazis, this was WW1, fighting the Ottoman Empire, I've a great uncle buried somewhere out there.

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't think you know much about Israeli culture. It's different than diaspora Jewish culture. 

So they've completely gotten over the holocaust in Israel? It's never mentioned on TV?

Don't they have a Holocaust Remembrance Day public holiday?

Edited by JamesBlond