EU, Britain enter intense Brexit talks as UK departure date looms

rooster59

8 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

Did the Greeks also wish that they had all paid their taxes over the years ?

Go down to your local Greek Restaurant and over the Houmas and Raki ask the owner does he like the EU innit ,and do they pay their taxes back home and report back here to 'a TVF bloke in a pub anecdote central'. 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Go down to your local Greek Restaurant and over the Houmas and Raki ask the owner does he like the EU innit ,and do they pay their taxes back home and report back here to 'a TVF bloke in a pub anecdote central'. 

Its a well established fact that the Greeks not paying their taxes was a cause of their Gov going bankrupt and the cause of Greeces bad economy and the reason why the UK has to bail them out with our EU contributions

Hard man moggy - ready to sup at the Johnson sick bucket of lies...a whiff of power and principles go down quicker than Jennifer Acuri drawers at a tech startup event. Consider his Brexit profits banked. But worry not chim chimmery working class chimney sweeps will be along to bow and doff at cap at their Eton elders and betters and it's time to pivot to whatever Eton Mess is served at their temple of the humble pie. #knowyourplace

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Its a well established fact that the Greeks not paying their taxes was a cause of their Gov going bankrupt and the cause of Greeces bad economy and the reason why the UK has to bail them out with our EU contributions

well that's something our resident tax fiddling Brexit British cowboy builders will be familiar with then. 

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

More discriminatory  anti British attacks .

Are you really sure that you arent a racist ?

You sound like a racist , much worse than Tommys remarks about Muslims

We had one on here talking about his cash in hand jobs and how he wasn't getting any work now - and was called our by other posters as to the illegality of his ways I seem to remember, my reference was to that person tangentially. Can't be bothered to trawl through hundreds of pages to dig it out. Key word legally was 'our resident' wasn't making a blanket assertion about all British builders. 

47 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

We had one on here talking about his cash in hand jobs and how he wasn't getting any work now - and was called our by other posters as to the illegality of his ways I seem to remember, my reference was to that person tangentially. Can't be bothered to trawl through hundreds of pages to dig it out. Key word legally was 'our resident' wasn't making a blanket assertion about all British builders. 

Its not illegal to work for cash and what was the posters name who was working for cash ?

5 hours ago, evadgib said:

Others will leave long before a U turn enters the mind of the UK electorate.

and do you think in their right mind, is going to look at the mess brexit has got this county into and think "that's what we need here too"

It's caused political instability, social division, economic damage, loss of power and influence, destroyed trust in the uk  and severely tarnished our international image.

Almost all the Anti-EU parties in other EU have now either softened that stance or quietly abandoned it. 

The one good thing that's come out of breit has been the surge in support fot the EU both at home and abroad.

If you think remainers are going to give up if we leave you are very wrong.

11 hours ago, tebee said:

and how, pray tell me, have you or anyone you know, suffered from EU membership?

Because i,m self employed,and thanks to free movement,and the lack of enforcement on such matters as paying national insurance contributions and income tax( both of which i,m registered for ) have seen my income half over the last 6 years.

8 hours ago, sanemax said:

The main reason Greece went bankrupt is because they couldn't be arsed  to wash up after meals and smashed the plates instead.

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

And of course the democratic way to have a second referendum would be to complete the first one, which at this point in time Boris is trying to do, hobbled or shackled by parliament and the courts.

It's a bit more complicated than that, Bill.  While I have little issue with johnson aiming to keep the tory party afloat - which is his obvious intention - but by invoking a no-deal brexit to achieve that is, IMO, selling the UK down the river. That's party over country, which is despicable, IMO - and for which parliament is aiming to thwart. That's democracy in action.

10 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

No it wont , but I would love to see the precise calculus you used to arrive at such a conclusion.

The Johnson ( actually Mrs Mays ) deal will satisfy a certain percentage of Tory Brexit voters , the more bitter and rabid will join up with Farage.

The current polls suggest that there will then be a minority government , probably Conservative but possibly ( God forbid ) Corbyns lot. 

So you have a choice , back the current deal ( which Farage would have moved heaven and hell for 5 years ago ) or throw your toys out of the pram and risk a Labour administration that would set us back a decade.

Probably true, however do you really think ANY government would be capable of moving the Union forward? The reality, as is crystal, is a shedload of incompetent two-faced and self-serving MPs - apart from i.e. my Labour Stroud MP who rides a bicycle around his constituency, takes account of all matters of constituents' concern, and has the lowest expenses claim in parliament.  

6 hours ago, kingdong said:

Because i,m self employed,and thanks to free movement,and the lack of enforcement on such matters as paying national insurance contributions and income tax( both of which i,m registered for ) have seen my income half over the last 6 years.

While I'm sorry about your income, but it has nothing to do with the EU. It's up to the UK to enforce the legalities.   

17 hours ago, dunroaming said:

So Jacob Rees Mogg has now warned Brexiteers that there will have to be compromises but they can trust Boris not to concede too much ????????????????

Trust who?

Who knows what Boris Johnson really believes, least of all him?

He previously said “what most people in this country want is the single market”, and he would personally vote to remain a member of it.

He told the BBC Andrew Marr Show in 2012: ″We would like a new relationship. And it’s very simple – what most people in this country want is the Single Market, the Common Market.”

https://eu-rope.ideasoneurope.eu/2018/02/14/boris-johnson-remember-what-he-said/

15 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

And the EU Medicines Agency was headquartered in London until quite recently 500 high paying , professional jobs which led to yet another reason to have most of the major Pharma/Biotech companies to be HQ'd and have R&d in the UK. I used to visit it often now it's in Frankfurt. Also a lot of clinical trial companies located here and through the EUMA an approval in one country meant it was an approval for all the EU - it's called regulatory alignment. Post Brexit we will have to mirror that agency to sell drugs in to the EU. It's called the cluster effect. But Bob the Cowboy Builder wouldn't know anything about that or care. 25 of the top 100 selling drugs in the world were discovered here thanks to our world class universities and research centres populated with the best of the world scientists and innovators. The EU turbocharged this already great centre in sector after sector. More wealth should have trickled down to the less well off but that was Tories, the sale of council houses , the banking collapse and offshoring globalists not the EU. Now the working class look to tories and spivs to bat for their side. Pathetic slimey cap-doffery of the most ignorant sort. 

"Post Brexit we will have to mirror that agency to sell drugs in to the EU."

I would be surprised if that were the case. Post brexit, goods requiring a CE mark must be approved by a notified body in the EU and I would think that the same policy would apply to medicines being sold in the EU.

Probably years for any new agencies to get any form of recognition by the EU.

Bottom line here is that in an emotional argument, there is no place for technicalities.

Methinks the Benn act might not be as watertight as some had hoped ????

Article 51 — Coercion of a representative of a State[edit]

The expression of a State's consent to be bound by a treaty which has been procured by the coercion of its representative through acts or threats directed against him shall be without any legal effect.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Vienna_Convention_on_the_Law_of_Treaties#Article_51_—_Coercion_of_a_representative_of_a_State

2 hours ago, stephenterry said:

It's a bit more complicated than that, Bill.  While I have little issue with johnson aiming to keep the tory party afloat - which is his obvious intention - but by invoking a no-deal brexit to achieve that is, IMO, selling the UK down the river. That's party over country, which is despicable, IMO - and for which parliament is aiming to thwart. That's democracy in action.

That's your opinion, but not that of the opposing side.

Britain joined an economic union and the subjects never agreed to become part of Germany's political project, which it morphed into.

Did anyone ever ask if they wanted to be ruled by an unelected bureaucracy in Brussels?

Britain should never have been in, so getting out is the right thing to do. Unfortunately the politicians stuffed it up, as usual.

That's democracy in action.

Upholding the result of the referendum would be democracy. The parliamentary remainers are the ones acting undemocratically.

13 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Cameron was in the remain camp and was dismissed as project fear.

But you already knew that.

He was however expecting to win the referendum why could be one reason that a sloppy job was done on the referendum itself.

George Osborne was the Chancellor at the time and the instigator of the first part of project fear, predicting doom and gloom, a full blown recession plus hundreds of thousands of job losses and many businesses going bust.

It didn't happen though, did it?

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Trust who?

Who knows what Boris Johnson really believes, least of all him?

He previously said “what most people in this country want is the single market”, and he would personally vote to remain a member of it.

He told the BBC Andrew Marr Show in 2012: ″We would like a new relationship. And it’s very simple – what most people in this country want is the Single Market, the Common Market.”

https://eu-rope.ideasoneurope.eu/2018/02/14/boris-johnson-remember-what-he-said/

A common market is not the same as a political union, which the EEC became, despite no one being asked if they wanted it.

Archived