EU, Britain enter intense Brexit talks as UK departure date looms

rooster59

11 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Not illegal? No wonder Britain is going down the drain.

I had no idea so I did a Google Search out of curiosity and found this site. There are a lot more out there. 

It doesn't seem to be illegal to be paid in cash in the first link below but it depends on whether and how much you declare to the taxman. It is similar in the second case but if you are self employed you do your own annual Self Assessment tax return.

https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/migrants/employment-and-self-employment/what-if-i-am-paid-cash

Can my employer pay me in cash?
Your employer is allowed to pay you in cash, providing that they take off the right amount of income tax and National Insurance contributions (NIC) under Pay As You Earn (PAYE), and hand this over to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) before paying you what is left.

Most employers in the UK now pay their employees by bank transfer, although some employers continue to pay in cash.

https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/migrants/employment-and-self-employment/what-if-i-am-paid-cash#toc-what-if-i-am-self-employed-

What if I am self-employed?
'Cash in hand' payments for work are like any other income – you must declare them to HMRC in your annual Self Assessment tax return.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, stephenterry said:

It's a bit more complicated than that, Bill.  While I have little issue with johnson aiming to keep the tory party afloat - which is his obvious intention - but by invoking a no-deal brexit to achieve that is, IMO, selling the UK down the river. That's party over country, which is despicable, IMO - and for which parliament is aiming to thwart. That's democracy in action.

Boris has said many times that he would prefer some sort of negotiated settlement, but if that could not be achieved then he wanted no more extensions and would leave on October 31st with a no deal Brexit.

As far as I can see unless there is some sort of deal the UK position is to leave on the 31st. That is what he inherited from Teresa May and why he was hog tied by parliament and the courts.

I have to admit that if I were in his place, I would have told parliament that they have put the UK where it is and if you lot can do better, then put your money where your mouth is and get on with it without me.

49 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Boris has said many times that he would prefer some sort of negotiated settlement, but if that could not be achieved then he wanted no more extensions and would leave on October 31st with a no deal Brexit.

As far as I can see unless there is some sort of deal the UK position is to leave on the 31st. That is what he inherited from Teresa May and why he was hog tied by parliament and the courts.

I have to admit that if I were in his place, I would have told parliament that they have put the UK where it is and if you lot can do better, then put your money where your mouth is and get on with it without me.

Boris lies, mate. Repeatedly and often. He was "hog tied" by parliament and the courts because he was acting illegally and unconstitutionally. The end doesn't justify the means, just because you happen to agree.

The UK parliament has already voted there can be no leaving without a deal and that the government must seek an extension in the absence of a deal. Deliberately flaunting the law will put Boris, his ramshackle cabinet and his non elected adviser into dangerous territory. And the UK into constitutional crisis.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

He was however expecting to win the referendum why could be one reason that a sloppy job was done on the referendum itself.

George Osborne was the Chancellor at the time and the instigator of the first part of project fear, predicting doom and gloom, a full blown recession plus hundreds of thousands of job losses and many businesses going bust.

It didn't happen though, did it?

I absolutely agree the referendum was poorly run.

Asking a binary question on a complex issue was always going to cause this.

As for the predicted doom and gloom. You are aware that we have not left yet yes?

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Not really, the leave vote are still waiting....Now we know you are a remainer who is sulking, but be fair, you lost....

The advisory referendum's advise was followed by Conservative and Labour parties. Neither have implemented it because both were too busy pursuing their own agendas and neither even attempted to seriously tackle the enormous detail that it would involve.

But, as the leave vote was extremely marginal %, and didn't consider the different leaving options, as parliament must, most people can grasp why you can't just leave. Not Brexiters of course - beyond them!

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The advisory referendum's advise was followed by Conservative and Labour parties. Neither have implemented it because both were too busy pursuing their own agendas and neither even attempted to seriously tackle the enormous detail that it would involve.

But, as the leave vote was extremely marginal %, and didn't consider the different leaving options, as parliament must, most people can grasp why you can't just leave. Not Brexiters of course - beyond them!

"Advisory"  - get over yourself !  ????

It didn't say advisory on my ballot paper - nor anywhere in Cameron's Chatham House speech; you know, the one where he set out what the referendum was all about.

17 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

As for the predicted doom and gloom. You are aware that we have not left yet yes?

Yes I am aware that the UK has not left yet and IMHO that was down to Teresa May who "fudged about" for over 3 years to keep the UK in the EU whilst promising that a no deal was better than a bad deal. her final deal was about the worst deal on offer and it was rejected 3 times by parliament and all of the political parties were involved in it.

As for the predicted doom and gloom. That was prophesied by George Osborne just before the referendum backed up IIRC by Carney at the Bank of England.

47 minutes ago, transam said:

Not really, the leave vote are still waiting....Now we know you are a remainer who is sulking, but be fair, you lost....

Nobody has won if we are all losers in so many ways. It's just that so called remainers are trying their best to limit the damage. But if it makes you happy and forget your woes - yes you and the 17.4 million 'won'. Send in your ticket to the government and collect your 'prize'. 

14 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Yes I am aware that the UK has not left yet and IMHO that was down to Teresa May who "fudged about" for over 3 years to keep the UK in the EU whilst promising that a no deal was better than a bad deal. her final deal was about the worst deal on offer and it was rejected 3 times by parliament and all of the political parties were involved in it.

As for the predicted doom and gloom. That was prophesied by George Osborne just before the referendum backed up IIRC by Carney at the Bank of England.

Mays deal was one she hoped would appeal to her own party and keep them happy. Back then she had a small working majority and thought she could force it through.

If the deal had maintained entry in the single market it would have been passed but the ERG would have been livid. Had she been prepared to stand up to the ERG we would have been out of the EU last March.

Next up the ERG put their man in charge and Johnson is facing the same problems that May did and still will not be able to get a deal through the commons unless it contains access to the single market.

As for Cameron and Osborne. You will not get me defending that pair of spineless chancers. 

36 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

"Advisory"  - get over yourself !  ????

It didn't say advisory on my ballot paper - nor anywhere in Cameron's Chatham House speech; you know, the one where he set out what the referendum was all about.

You can't have a binding referendum or a vague proposal - otherwise people can say it means one thing to get you to vote for it, then try and implement something entirely different insisting that was what you voted for  

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Oh dear the same old tripe. 

the MP's want 2 votes each, the referendum vote and another vote in the commons. it sound like you didn't get the result you wanted so now you want a 2nd bite

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Boris lies, mate. Repeatedly and often. He was "hog tied" by parliament and the courts because he was acting illegally and unconstitutionally. The end doesn't justify the means, just because you happen to agree.

The UK parliament has already voted there can be no leaving without a deal and that the government must seek an extension in the absence of a deal. Deliberately flaunting the law will put Boris, his ramshackle cabinet and his non elected adviser into dangerous territory. And the UK into constitutional crisis.

Not so, according to #99

6 hours ago, stephenterry said:

While I'm sorry about your income, but it has nothing to do with the EU. It's up to the UK to enforce the legalities.   

As far as I know, being a member of the EU requires all member states to allow other member states citizens free movement to live and work in any EU Country that they want .

Millions of EU citizens have come to work in the UK, forcing wages down, of course UK citizens can go and work in Bulgaria, if we want 

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

As far as I know, being a member of the EU requires all member states to allow other member states citizens free movement to live and work in any EU Country that they want .

Millions of EU citizens have come to work in the UK, forcing wages down, of course UK citizens can go and work in Bulgaria, if we want 

And who opposed European labour legislation, including minimum wages?

6 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Project fear again.

5 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Quite probably if any executive part of government tries to put itself above the law, above the sovereign parliament and dictate whatever if fancies. A serial liar making it up as it goes along - sounds more like Venezuela than the UK. But we're catching up with them!

Never occurred to remain that boris trying to uphold the results of a democratic referendum,all remain is trying to do is sabotage his efforts,because they feel " they know best "

3 hours ago, steve187 said:

the MP's want 2 votes each, the referendum vote and another vote in the commons. it sound like you didn't get the result you wanted so now you want a 2nd bite

And it remain don,t get their own way they,'ll keep dragging it all on,well done,you,ve done more damage to the uk than the lutwaffe.

5 minutes ago, Amalia0101 said:

Aren't you already done with the stupid project fear?

Have you not heard, how your silly project fear changed to project reality few months ago?

Stop being slow.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????

8 minutes ago, kingdong said:

And it remain don,t get their own way they,'ll keep dragging it all on,well done,you,ve done more damage to the uk than the lutwaffe.

Who is Lutwaffe ? Is he another Brexiteer 555.

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Nice to hear that all those Eastern Europeans working in the UK are receiving a higher minimum wage 

Course they,'re not they have bogus " self employed status" that's how big business get round paying the minimum wage.still just goes to show how desperate things must be in eastern Europe for so many of them come here,pity the remainer s can,t see past the end of their hooters.

1 minute ago, kingdong said:

Course they,'re not they have bogus " self employed status" that's how big business get round paying the minimum wage.still just goes to show how desperate things must be in eastern Europe for so many of them come here,pity the remainer s can,t see past the end of their hooters.

Why do you think remainers have hooters just like you? (not that there is something wrong with that, only angry conservative frustrated old men would think that).

21 hours ago, billd766 said:

He was however expecting to win the referendum why could be one reason that a sloppy job was done on the referendum itself.

George Osborne was the Chancellor at the time and the instigator of the first part of project fear, predicting doom and gloom, a full blown recession plus hundreds of thousands of job losses and many businesses going bust.

It didn't happen though, did it?

You are right on both points Bill. Osborne was as much to blame as Cameron he went overboard on his statements and lost all credibility, should have remained a bit more conservative.

At the end of the day though it does not mean there will not be significant job losses and companies going bust. There has been a steady flow of job losses already, just that each has their own interpretation on the cause and significance.

Archived