Jump to content
BANGKOK
rooster59

EU, Britain enter intense Brexit talks as UK departure date looms

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Did anyone ever ask if they wanted to be ruled by an unelected bureaucracy in Brussels?

You really should give over with the garbage. All EU legislation, as all UK legislation, must be passed by an elected parliament.

EU commissioners are ratified by the EU parliament, now you could tell us how UK cabinet ministers get into office, but the rules don't allow it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sandyf said:

You are right on both points Bill. Osborne was as much to blame as Cameron he went overboard on his statements and lost all credibility, should have remained a bit more conservative.

At the end of the day though it does not mean there will not be significant job losses and companies going bust. There has been a steady flow of job losses already, just that each has their own interpretation on the cause and significance.

I saw this on the BBC website all about sausage rolls and the paperwork to export them just across the border between Eire and NI.

 

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-49923485/what-could-brexit-mean-for-sausage-rolls

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I saw this on the BBC website all about sausage rolls and the paperwork to export them just across the border between Eire and NI.

 

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-49923485/what-could-brexit-mean-for-sausage-rolls

 

 

I used to sell equipment to Europe before the single market and the paperwork was bad enough then and that was without any issues on the origin of materials or standards.

I am not sure if the rhetoric on the simplicity of leaving is just pure ignorance or deliberate misinformation. It is not just producers and manufacturers, the haulage industry is facing a bureaucratic nightmare and that is fundamental to the cost of living.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, kingdong said:

It's got all to do with the Eu and its" freedom of movement " creating this situation.

Complete rubbish and a myth perpetrated by the pre-election leavers right-wingers. The UK have always had complete control over immigration, not the EU. They can and do 'ignore freedom of movement' and would refuse entry to any applicant at any time if they don't meet requirements.

 

As far as freedom of movement is concerned, without being racist, there's a hell of a lot of non-europeans gaining entry into the UK from India, Pakistan, Middle East, and African countries. 

 

Try not to be so bigoted towards the EU - it demeans you.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Complete rubbish and a myth perpetrated by the pre-election leavers right-wingers. The UK have always had complete control over immigration, not the EU. They can and do 'ignore freedom of movement' and would refuse entry to any applicant at any time if they don't meet requirements.

 

As far as freedom of movement is concerned, without being racist, there's a hell of a lot of non-europeans gaining entry into the UK from India, Pakistan, Middle East, and African countries. 

 

Try not to be so bigoted towards the EU - it demeans you.   

Ah,how nice it must be to live in a perfect world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sandyf said:

I used to sell equipment to Europe before the single market and the paperwork was bad enough then and that was without any issues on the origin of materials or standards.

I am not sure if the rhetoric on the simplicity of leaving is just pure ignorance or deliberate misinformation. It is not just producers and manufacturers, the haulage industry is facing a bureaucratic nightmare and that is fundamental to the cost of living.

Hopefully when the dust clears and the systems are set up it should be a lot easier. Having said that the first 6 months will be a bureaucratic nightmare and the paper chasers will be looking at buckets of overtime. 

 

I think that there will be quite a few casualties but it may be the time to dump a lot of unnecessary forms and paperwork,

 

The KISS principle worked for me, plus the JFDI and we will sort the paperwork out later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, billd766 said:

Hopefully when the dust clears and the systems are set up it should be a lot easier. Having said that the first 6 months will be a bureaucratic nightmare and the paper chasers will be looking at buckets of overtime. 

It can never be easier Bill as long as there are tariffs involved, that was the real benefit of the single market. Tariffs are an incentive to manipulate the product category for a beneficial rate.

 

No tariffs = no tax liability = no incentive to cheat the system = more time for customs to concentrate on real smuggling rather than tax evasion = a much easier system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, billd766 said:

Hopefully when the dust clears and the systems are set up it should be a lot easier. Having said that the first 6 months will be a bureaucratic nightmare and the paper chasers will be looking at buckets of overtime. 

 

I think that there will be quite a few casualties but it may be the time to dump a lot of unnecessary forms and paperwork,

 

The KISS principle worked for me, plus the JFDI and we will sort the paperwork out later.

 

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

It can never be easier Bill as long as there are tariffs involved, that was the real benefit of the single market. Tariffs are an incentive to manipulate the product category for a beneficial rate.

 

No tariffs = no tax liability = no incentive to cheat the system = more time for customs to concentrate on real smuggling rather than tax evasion = a much easier system.

It's not only tariffs that the single market eliminated (indeed this is actually the customs union) , but standards enforcement.  You don't have to prove that something manufactured or imported into the UK is of a standard that can be sold in the rest of Europe .

 

The next problem you encounter is although you can eliminate paperwork for importers, you can't do anything about other countries requiring paperwork from our exporters.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, tebee said:

 

It's not only tariffs that the single market eliminated (indeed this is actually the customs union) , but standards enforcement.  You don't have to prove that something manufactured or imported into the UK is of a standard that can be sold in the rest of Europe .

 

The next problem you encounter is although you can eliminate paperwork for importers, you can't do anything about other countries requiring paperwork from our exporters.  

Stop worrying...We aren't.............🥳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tebee said:

 

It's not only tariffs that the single market eliminated (indeed this is actually the customs union) , but standards enforcement.  You don't have to prove that something manufactured or imported into the UK is of a standard that can be sold in the rest of Europe .

 

The next problem you encounter is although you can eliminate paperwork for importers, you can't do anything about other countries requiring paperwork from our exporters.  

Absolutely. I was tasked with implementing the gas appliances directive when it was introduced and obtained the first CE certificate issued by the Calor Gas laboratory. Went a long way to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, not that anyone was interested blaming the EU for further bureaucracy.

Tariffs will create problems that will cost the government to deal with and standards will be a problem and cost that businesses will have to deal with.

Of course problems and costs are of little significance to the emotionally paranoid. They want to make the bed and then expect everyone else to lay in it. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, transam said:

Stop worrying...We aren't.............🥳

Well you should be !

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, transam said:

Stop worrying...We aren't.............🥳

say the people who've clearly never run a business in their life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, samran said:

say the people who've clearly never run a business in their life.

Oooooooh yes I have...🥳.................😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

off topic removed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...