BANGKOK
Sheryl

"Cheat Sheet" for Longstay Insurance Policies

I haven't yet heard any feedback on them.

If the idea is that your mother will settle her permanently and if she is currently in good health I'd be inclined to prefer a policy with lifetime renewal than one with renewal to 99.  These days women especially often live past 100.

There will by the way be a 3rd plan available with enrollment to age 75 (Bangkok Insurance) but premiums after age 80 are sky high.

P.S. I neglected to mention but assuming you yourself are on a long stay visa, rather than coming here on an OA she can come on an O visa to visit family and if the idea is for her to live here permanently, you can then get annual 1 year extensions for her as your dependent,  piggy-backed onto your visa. That removes the Immigration insurance requirement leaving her free to get an international expat policy which would give better value at lower cost and also protect against premium increases based on claims ( Thai policies allow that).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much Sheryl for your valuable comments.  While my mom is doing great and in good health now, she did have breast cancer in 2011.  I just received a response from Thaivivat and they declined to issue a policy due solely to the breast cancer pre-condition.  So I will be moving on to my next choice at the moment which is Pacific Cross but will need some time to put together all the documents requested.

The goal is for her to stay permanently and I am looking at the various options.  I am on a non-O visa with an extension based on married.  However, I am currently not working and still a few years under 50 years old, so I understand that she could not piggy-back off my visa as a dependent in this scenario based on my reading of Immigration Order No. 138/2557 [section 2.18 for my case (married to a Thai national) and section 2.20 for my mother (family member of an alien permitted to stay) - but unfortunately section 2.18 does not apply under 2.20].  If my understanding doesn't sound right, please kindly let me know.

If unable to get insurance, the other options are to try to convert her to a non-O visa with extensions based on retirement or the Thai Elite Visa. She is fully moved here and would be unable to easily return back to the US at this stage.  Difficult times indeed....  Thanks again Sheryl for all your efforts on this subject.

Edited by yamadajr

You don't want her to be here uninsured, neither should you be.  But what policy one would get if seeking best coverage and what would satisfy Imm requirement are unfortunately not the same thing. 

As to whether she can get an O to come as your dependent bets to ask @ubonjoe

If Imm requirement not an issue, she ought to be able to get an international  policy with exclusion of breast cancer or, at worst, all cancer.  If she has been tested for BRAC gene and has the results that should be submitted to the insurer as well as if there is a question of being BRAC positive that also creates risk for other cancers e.g. ovary.

Thai insurers tend to be much less detailed and sophisticated in  risk assessment (but see what PC says.

Thanks Sheryl. Do you have any insurance company recommendations for an international policy appropriate for US citizens?  Thank you.

No difference being from US or anywhete else. I already mentioned 3 expat plans.  But for your mother given her age the first 2 aren't options and Cigna Global or Cigna Close Care (both purchased from Cigna UK NOT Cigna US) is best bet.

On 10/21/2019 at 2:40 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Meanwhile, here's some of the full age range premium lists I have for Pacific Cross and their various regular (non O-A) policies:

267036749_PacificCrossStandardPremierPremiums2019forALLAges.jpg.e566f2dd882e829879ab0432987600ce.jpg

1268898196_PacificCrossMaximaPremiums2019forALLAges.jpg.4272cef19f1b6de3e3ecd3cd5d550f2c.jpg

Do you have links to these lists, please, as I've been unable to unearth them myself through Google searches? And the premium tables in Pacific Cross's Lifestyle Series brochures go no further than the 61-65 age band for some mysterious reason.

Edited by OJAS

RE: US Health Insurance Valid anywhere in the World

I have my retirement insurance with BCBS which also handle the Medicare part.

So my Health Insurance takes care of health issues in any country abroad through a CORE, set up by and for all the BCBS in the US :

BCBS GLOBAL CORE SERVICE CENTER, which handles all the billings for Services rendered  overseas on par to services rendered in the US.

My question is; had anyone heard of this or used it , and how  to find out if it is accepted by the new health set up in Thailand, as a valid Health Insurance?

My BCBS will increase the maximum pay out from $1,000,000 this year to $2,500,000 starting  1/1/2020 per subscriber... ( I imagine all the BCBS in  the US will do the same  for this category of subscribers.)

image.png.32038a75f2ab24b09ed6e50499a96062.png

3 hours ago, bttao said:

RE: US Health Insurance Valid anywhere in the World

I have my retirement insurance with BCBS which also handle the Medicare part.

So my Health Insurance takes care of health issues in any country abroad through a CORE, set up by and for all the BCBS in the US :

BCBS GLOBAL CORE SERVICE CENTER, which handles all the billings for Services rendered  overseas on par to services rendered in the US.

My question is; had anyone heard of this or used it , and how  to find out if it is accepted by the new health set up in Thailand, as a valid Health Insurance?

My BCBS will increase the maximum pay out from $1,000,000 this year to $2,500,000 starting  1/1/2020 per subscriber... ( I imagine all the BCBS in  the US will do the same  for this category of subscribers.)

image.png.32038a75f2ab24b09ed6e50499a96062.png

That part is easy to answer as it is the same for all foreign policies.

It can be used for a new OA visa for the first year only i.e. when you first apply for the visa. And for that you are supposed to submit a signed "foreign insurance certificate" that you can find and download from the longstay.tgia website...but it is very, very hard to get companies to sign it due to the wording which references a Thai Cabinet Resolution they obviously have nto and cannot read, among other things.  It might be possible to get the Embassy or Consulate to accept the policy documents without  this "cerrtificate" if you call and explain you have the policy but can't get the certificate signed (they will be getting lots of calls like that) but it is up to them. 

If the accept it for your visa application, they will make a notation on the visa giving the policy expiration date and you can only be stamped into Thailand until that date, to go beyond it you would then have to buy a local policy even though you obviously do not need it. So you need to try to synchronize dates if the Embassy is willing to accept your policy.

If you could somehow get them to let you pay ahead so that your cover ran for 2 years might possibly then be able to use it for 2 years but not beyond, and it is usually not possible to renew more than 1 year at a time.

If Embassy will nto accept this policy you might prefer to get a different type of visa such as multiple entry tourist visa or "O" visa if eligible.

That summary of the BCBS policy doesn't say it covers all medical expenses when you ARE overseas. It says it covers expenses "when you TRAVEL to a foreign country," under a heading that reads "Foreign Travel." You must check the detailed wording of the policy. I strongly suspect there's a provision that effectively excludes those living overseas. For example, Medigap policies that cover foreign medical expenses only do so during the first 60 days of a continuous stay overseas.

do you really think the thai immigration officers are going to understand what a "historical policy " is.

on the other hand if its nothing to do with immigration-

pacific cross from my experience is so full of BS.

I got nothing but sales BS from them.

it is their bait and switch routine they tried on me too.

pacific cross ='s buyer be ware