32GB x 1 sodimm RAM stick for laptop in Thailand??

4evermaat

I'm look for 32GB x 1 DDR4 2666MHz RAM stick for laptop within Thailand if possible.

So far I've only been able to find one at MemoryToday.com 

Snag_2ea034d2.png.1912ed4f3aad354540cc2e5d5687bf26.png

But the price was more than usual (It should be cheaper than 2x16GB) and also no value option.

So I looked at amazon.com and saw

Samsung 32GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM Memory Module for Laptop Computers (260 Pin SODIMM, 1.2V) 

Snag_2eaa6ebe.png.595fe79263e8fff750dd65c49def4c6f.png

for about 2900 baht (or 4100 + about 900 baht shipping + customs estimate if you use that option).  I'm sure you could use a re-mailer/forwarder from a local US address and get that cut to 1/2  1/3rd for shipping.

Snag_2eaa6e8f.png.96da0835741a928cb619311181e94fa8.png

Are there any more local options for notebook memory?  32GB x 1 stick  (not 16gb x 2 or 8gb x 4)

I recommend you go with your notebook to a shop i.e. in Fortune Town and look for the RAM there and test it.

In my experience it's a bad idea to buy RAM from a list which should work but which is not sure.

I think the only sure version is to look on the manufacturer website and look for the approved RAM list and order EXACTLY that one and if possible from the manufacturer. But that is likely more expensive than going to a shop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It depends on the application(s). I know a guy who plays with the stock market and it seems he has one of those applications which can use enormous amounts of RAM.

Lots of RAM also makes sense if you run multiple virtual machines - for whatever reason.

Yes, and it´s never bad to have a lot of free power too. Makes everything faster.

• Confused 1

in my experience 2x 16gb will always be cheaper 
the higher you go the more expensive the stick always been the way 
right from go its always been like that and especially laptop sold in pairs

4 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

But the price was more than usual (It should be cheaper than 2x16GB) and also no value option.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, JamJar said:

Perhaps it's a laptop with single channel memory. Dual channel is always better. 

Though, like others, interested as to why 32 GB of RAM and as to whether he has SATA or PCIe SSD fitted.

well if only has one slot it will either run single or interleaved 
dual is what it says dual hence 2 buts he is wrong to expect larger modules to be cheaper 

but agree ssd night and day

maybe there should be a rule specs screenshots model names 

8 hours ago, shady86 said:

Just curios, why would you need so much ram for notebook?

You'd be surprised if you have several tabs open just how much GB ram just firefox/chrome can use.

But multitasking, especially graphics editing type of programs, can easily take 0.5-2GB or more depending on the complexity.    It really depends on the user. 

8 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

It doesn't make sense to use so much DDR memory. The notebook can only use a certain amount. 

8th+ gen intel and 3rd+ gen Ryzen notebooks can accept 64GB memory (2x32GB).  You can check bios and also the OS properties when you login.  On the amazon listing, several customers actually posted screenshots proving this. 

64 bit operating systems. 

3 hours ago, JamJar said:

Perhaps it's a laptop with single channel memory. Dual channel is always better. 

Though, like others, interested as to why 32 GB of RAM and as to whether he has SATA or PCIe SSD fitted.

This particular laptop came with dvd drive, and it looks like they crippled the motherboard by only having 1 empty slot of RAM.  (already 4GB on-board RAM)  so with 16GB stick the total is 20GB; w/ 32GB stick, total is 36GB.

Screenshot_20191014_010028.thumb.jpg.54314bbb7f5ecc0fd2d9bc8314fe550a.jpg

Screenshot_20191014_010429.thumb.jpg.e3d26007e8001abdb77053158e0090c4.jpg

The intel optane memory can be swapped for a m.2 nvme pcie ssd.   But for now, 1TB 2.5" SSD + intel optane will suffice. 

At least the upgrading and swapping hdd/ssd/m.2/ram is simple.  And the cooling is pretty good so far. 

Since so many are curious as to the model laptop, you can look here:  Acer aspire 5  A515-53G-59M2

I already knew which memory type i needed.  Just was asking what domestic options i had to purchase a 1 x 32gb stick (besides MemoryToday)...Jib and Advice dont seem to carry this. 

Your money would be better spent on SSD drives. Move the PCIe SSD to 256 GB, such as the https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/solid-state-drives-ssd/adata/256gb-xpg-sx8200-pro-pcie-gen3x4-m-2-2280-ssd-asx8200pnp-256gt-c-p041443/ and the SATA to an SSD, with the capacity of your choice, with DRAM, such as the Crucial MX 500 or the Samsung EVO 860.

Cheaper and more effective that buying a 32 GB module of RAM.

2 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

You'd be surprised if you have several tabs open just how much GB ram just firefox/chrome can use.

But multitasking, especially graphics editing type of programs, can easily take 0.5-2GB or more depending on the complexity.    It really depends on the user. 

8th+ gen intel and 3rd+ gen Ryzen notebooks can accept 64GB memory (2x32GB).  You can check bios and also the OS properties when you login.  On the amazon listing, several customers actually posted screenshots proving this. 

64 bit operating systems. 

This particular laptop came with dvd drive, and it looks like they crippled the motherboard by only having 1 empty slot of RAM.  (already 4GB on-board RAM)  so with 16GB stick the total is 20GB; w/ 32GB stick, total is 36GB.

Screenshot_20191014_010028.thumb.jpg.54314bbb7f5ecc0fd2d9bc8314fe550a.jpg

Screenshot_20191014_010429.thumb.jpg.e3d26007e8001abdb77053158e0090c4.jpg

The intel optane memory can be swapped for a m.2 nvme pcie ssd.   But for now, 1TB 2.5" SSD + intel optane will suffice. 

At least the upgrading and swapping hdd/ssd/m.2/ram is simple.  And the cooling is pretty good so far. 

Since so many are curious as to the model laptop, you can look here:  Acer aspire 5  A515-53G-59M2

I already knew which memory type i needed.  Just was asking what domestic options i had to purchase a 1 x 32gb stick (besides MemoryToday)...Jib and Advice dont seem to carry this. 

Just noted that you have stated that you have already fitted a 1 TB SSD.

9 hours ago, JamJar said:

6 hours ago, JamJar said:

It is possible i am mistaken.  But there is one sure way to find out (you put it in and see what happens). Newer laptop motherboards (8th gen compatible, maybe 7th gen intel also) can handle up to 64GB.

Screenshot_20191014_104344.thumb.jpg.e8b976d6b99b738e33d64f2e37482000.jpg

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/149088/intel-core-i5-8265u-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html

Some manufacturers may not have updated the literature or want you to buy the "gamer" model.  But the Amazon.com reviews help prove my point that it may be possible.

Your money would be better spent on SSD drives. Move the PCIe SSD to 256 GB, such as... 

.. Cheaper and more effective that buying a 32 GB module of RAM.

Advice had a real special on 10.10;  ฿2490 for 960gb Apacer Panther as340 2.5"!!

480gb was ฿1390.

1971925369_Adviceapacer960GBSSDpromotion.png.ecba95ea412b0ab38986441bae2c63eb.png

But only 893gb usable in practice : 

Tip: Look out for 11.11 next month for major suppliers.

I have considered adding m.2 pcie nvme 240 or 480gb.  We will see what the future holds. 

After 2 week return period is passed, i might sell the 1tb hdd that came with it. Along with the intel optane memory. 

--------

I think the original q was missed entirely though (where to locally source 1x32gb sodimm ram stick)

Edited by 4evermaat

i have a question

and no sorry i dont know where to buy a 32gb stick i just know as stated the higher you go its always more expensive than the same capacity pairing in the lower size

so my question is you have an  octane stick

but this laptop also ships with a 5400rpm 1tb hd 

and thats what it looks like in the photo

so what is your hd and where is the os installed 

to save me responding again if you indeed still have a 5400 and its got the os throw it away install an ssd

because regardless the 5400 everything waits for that

also pull out the dvd and get a dvd slot hdcaddy 

• Like 1

i have a question

and no sorry i dont know where to buy a 32gb stick i just know as stated the higher you go its always more expensive than the same capacity pairing in the lower size

so my question is you have an  octane stick

but this laptop also ships with a 5400rpm 1tb hd 
and thats what it looks like in the photo

so what is your hd and where is the os installed 

to save me responding again if you indeed still have a 5400 and its got the os throw it away install an ssd
because regardless the 5400 everything waits for that
also pull out the dvd and get a dvd slot hdcaddy 

OS​ installed in mechanical drive. Optane only used for caching. Honestly, SSD is never been cheaper so I don't know why notebook vendors still bundled Optane with mechanical drivers. Maybe to clear stock and it makes no sense.
  • Like 1

okay i had to do a little bit of reading not been keeping up with pc developments

basically the optane is a go between from hd to cpu just a bigger cache

and acer fitted your laptop with a 5400 and an octane because it was the cheaper option

i think ssd's have came down in price a lot

so as jam jar said this site https://www.advice.co.th/product/solid-state-drive-ssd-

then you could easily get away with a 16gb memory upgrade

ssd dont each as much power longer battery time

not as heavy lighter weight

repeat myself get a dvd hd caddy either hook up your 5400 as storage or get two ssd's

2 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

It is possible i am mistaken.  But there is one sure way to find out (you put it in and see what happens). Newer laptop motherboards (8th gen compatible, maybe 7th gen intel also) can handle up to 64GB.

Screenshot_20191014_104344.thumb.jpg.e8b976d6b99b738e33d64f2e37482000.jpg

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/149088/intel-core-i5-8265u-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html

Some manufacturers may not have updated the literature or want you to buy the "gamer" model.  But the Amazon.com reviews help prove my point that it may be possible.

Advice had a real special on 10.10;  ฿2490 for 960gb Apacer Panther as340 2.5"!!

480gb was ฿1390.

1971925369_Adviceapacer960GBSSDpromotion.png.ecba95ea412b0ab38986441bae2c63eb.png

But only 893gb usable in practice : 

Tip: Look out for 11.11 next month for major suppliers.

I have considered adding m.2 pcie nvme 240 or 480gb.  We will see what the future holds. 

After 2 week return period is passed, i might sell the 1tb hdd that came with it. Along with the intel optane memory. 

--------

I think the original q was missed entirely though (where to locally source 1x32gb sodimm ram stick)

Hopefully you won't have issues with NVMe compatibility.

Good price on the APACER, though still have the concern that you are compromising on the quality of some components, whilst overspending on others.

The DRAMless AS340 certainly isn't amongst the best SATA III SSD out there. 

I didn't miss the question about the 32 GB RAM module. It's just likely that you can utilise Google as much as anyone else.

If you can only find Samsung modules, why are you expecting to find 'value' RAM for less?

You'll actually have to find someone making them first, even if only on something like AliExpress. Then you might find someone who stocks them locally.

At the moment, it looks like Samsung. Which is likely what is being sold locally at 6,490 baht.

Seems to be a bit of a palaver, unless there are reasons why you would actually need 36 GB of RAM on a mid-range laptop.

As they say, up to you. But it's going to cost you, either way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It depends on the application(s). I know a guy who plays with the stock market and it seems he has one of those applications which can use enormous amounts of RAM.

Lots of RAM also makes sense if you run multiple virtual machines - for whatever reason.

True, but how many people use a notebook for it? 

14 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Hopefully you won't have issues with NVMe compatibility.

Good price on the APACER, though still have the concern that you are compromising on the quality of some components, whilst overspending on others.

I didn't miss the question about the 32 GB RAM module. It's just likely that you can utilise Google as much as anyone else.

If you can only find Samsung modules, why are you expecting to find 'value' RAM for less?

You'll actually have to find someone making them first, even if only on something like AliExpress. Then you might find someone who stocks them locally.

At the moment, it looks like Samsung. Which is likely what is being sold locally at 6,490 baht.

Seems to be a bit of a palaver, unless there are reasons why you would actually need 36 GB of RAM on a mid-range laptop.

As they say, up to you. But it's going to cost you, either way.

I still got some very old 256 MB modules at home from only twelve years ago. The times they are a changin'.....

The toshiba 1tb 5400rpm HDD that comes with computer was swapped with Apacer Panther AS340 1tb SSD. 2019.10.10 had a special promo ฿2450 as shown in the photo. 

There was also 500gb was ฿1350 or 1390 (not shown). Sorry if that was not clear earlier. 

I did upgrade RAM with 16GB ddr4 2666mhz kingston value ram.  So there is a total of 20GB dual channel (4GB on board). 

Optane 16GB nvme stick is removable.  But i will keep it for now. 

2 hours ago, shady86 said:

OS installed in mechanical drive. Optane only used for caching. Honestly, SSD is never been cheaper so I don't know why notebook vendors still bundled Optane with mechanical drivers. Maybe to clear stock and it makes no sense.

I do agree that the Intel Optane memory was a marketing ploy to get rid of HDD stock, sell laptop with cheaper specs, promote intel m.2 ssds (and CPUs, etc).   But i guess for someone with hdd only, it's better than nothing.

18 minutes ago, JamJar said:

I did realize that apacer was not top of the line.  But not bottom of the barrel either.  The best ssd i've owned is kingston uv500 240gb 2.5" (older laptop did not have m.2 slot). 

Original plan was to use 1tb SSD as 2nd hard drive (and offload the 1tb hdd).  Get nvme pcie 250/500GB m.2 as first (and offload the 16GB optane m.2 stick) .   Leave DVD drive in place for now (even if i dont use it) 

But now i have a few more options. 

Use 1TB ssd as primary drive until until "easy return" period is over.  Also i can wait a bit for the next sale period and see what's new (e.g. 2019.11.11). 

3 hours ago, andy72 said:

repeat myself get a dvd hd caddy either hook up your 5400 as storage or get two ssd's

I am familiar with DVD hdd tray.  I converted two previous notebook dvds that way. But they were old... well past warranty period.  Also there is a kit to convert internal notebook dvd player to external. Or maybe just use one of those sata3 to usb3 cords. The hard case does make it more durable though. 

1tb ssd is sufficient for now.  Especially if i later move OS + programs to m.2 (250 or 500gb). 

Hmm kingston uv500 240gb 2.5"

i wonder if the 2.5" case could be removed and reveal the nvme pcie stick? 

Edit:  nevermind.  It would likely come with mSATA stick without Pcie benefits.  In hindsight, you would buy pcie nvme first, then a 2.5" sata 3 enclosure to retrofit it. 

Edited by 4evermaat

13 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

Hmm kingston uv500 240gb 2.5"

i wonder if the 2.5" case could be removed and reveal the nvme pcie stick? 

Huh? Why do you imagine there would be NVMe technology on a SATA SSD?

That'll be a no.

Just now, JamJar said:

Huh? Why do you imagine there would be NVMe technology on a SATA SSD?

That'll be a no.

I re-read what i wrote as i was driving home and realized you would have to do the opposite:  buy nmve first, then a 2.5" sata3 enclosure to retrofit. 

Hindsight is 20/20

3 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

I re-read what i wrote as i was driving home and realized you would have to do the opposite:  buy nmve first, then a 2.5" sata3 enclosure to retrofit. 

Hindsight is 20/20

??

Why would anyone do such a thing?

That would be akin to putting a Mini's engine in a Ferrari.

SATA III and PCIe are different interfaces. .

You need a casing with, for an example; a USB 3.1 Gen (1/2) to a  PCIe Gen 3 x (2/4) lane bridge controller.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Why would anyone do such a thing?

That would be akin to putting a Mini's engine in a Ferrari.

SATA III and PCIe are different interfaces. .

I was thinking in case backward compatibility would be necessary for some reason (e.g. Copy files from a drive). 

But also as a secondary reason, so that you could switch back to an older backup laptop if it became necessary for some reason. 

But if the difference is too great or the kits too expensive/cumbersome, then maybe time to upgrade backup also. 

19 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

I was thinking in case backward compatibility would be necessary for some reason (e.g. Copy files from a drive). 

But also as a secondary reason, so that you could switch back to an older backup laptop if it became necessary for some reason. 

But if the difference is too great or the kits too expensive/cumbersome, then maybe time to upgrade backup also. 

Not same;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-CM80S-M-2-SSD-Enclosure/dp/B01N4EUXCU

https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB3-1-Type-C-Enclosure-Support-Samsung-Gray/dp/B07FZ9RV2X

The components inside a SATA III 2.5" SSD do not an M.2 SSD make;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH6iF5b-piE