Tourist visa in Vientiane

What documents do I need to get a Thai tourist visa (60 days single entry) in Vientiane? I have heard you don’t need to show any proof of funds or onward travel but I just want to make sure the regulations have not changed. Thank you!

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It has changed.

This is what visa run company has on their website.

"Tourist Visa, if you had previously some Tourist visas your application will be considered more carefully. Vientiane is now, in most cases, asking for proof of funds, Book Bank with balance THB 20,000.- up OR print out from Bank account from home country value USD 700.-up. Onward air ticket is not required."

When did this change? I was there 2.5 months ago and no such documentation was asked for. Have someone been there recently and can confirm this?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Totte86 said:

When did this change? I was there 2.5 months ago and no such documentation was asked for. Have someone been there recently and can confirm this?

It has changed a lot since you were there.

The visa run company makes trips to Vientiane 2 or 3 times a week so that info is current.

So to get a tourist visa you may use 20k bath in the bank as proof.And if you do have a bank account they might say you are not a tourist and deny you the visa.You live here.

Yepp.Makes alot of sence.Oh sorry.Sence is never used here.I should know better after so many years.????????

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gillyflower said:

Ubon Joe.  It's rather off-topic and you probably know already.  If so, please excuse me.  In France the Formulaire has to be done on line and it is now the appointment scheme.  For someone like me (useless with internet) it's a catastrophe.

Me too.  I don't have smart phone, no wifi internet connection.  Sure I have computer at work and at home, but I don't travel with those.  Things could be awkward at best trying to get to some internet somehow and do things online.  Siiiiigh

10 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Me too.  I don't have smart phone, no wifi internet connection.  Sure I have computer at work and at home, but I don't travel with those.  Things could be awkward at best trying to get to some internet somehow and do things online.  Siiiiigh

This is 2019, and you will need a smartphone or computer on daily basis. But aren't you supposed to apply for the e-visa in your home country or where you reside for at least 6 months? This thread is about a visa run to Laos. 

Edited by Max69xl

10 hours ago, Odin Norway said:

So to get a tourist visa you may use 20k bath in the bank as proof.And if you do have a bank account they might say you are not a tourist and deny you the visa.You live here.

Yepp.Makes alot of sence.Oh sorry.Sence is never used here.I should know better after so many years.????????

There are people on tourist visas that owns condos in Thailand. They usually have a Thai bank account. Some just comes here a couple of times a year. 

22 hours ago, Odin Norway said:

If that's your concern, you can simply show them the equivalent of 20k baht in a bank account elsewhere, for example in your home country. It doesn't need to be a Thai bank account.

I happen to agree with your line of thought and I've always shown money in an account back home. Not because I think that tourists shouldn't have bank accounts, mind you, but because a consular officer might well think so.