Denied entry, sent back to Frankfurt

2 hours ago, Straight8 said:

and you still get f-wits here saying get an elite card, like it's chump change. Especially now with most major currencies down over 50% its just not viable for 90% + of the people wanting to live / stay in Thailand.

Perhaps they would prefer the chumps who can afford it to the ones who cannot. You know, those under 50 who say boo hooo I have a right to live in Thailand if I want to

You just don't get it!

• Like 1

My recent experience is the opposite of the OP's experience.  

I arrived at Suvarnabhumi yesterday, 15 Oct at approximately 14:30. 

Entered the Immigration entry point wearing long pants (trousers), plain collared shirt, and clean shoes (sneakers). 

At the Immigration Officer's desk, I walked towards him, said Hello, and handed my US passport to him; then waited for him to direct me to place my right and left fingers on the scanner; to stand and face the camera for a photo; afterward he handed my passport with my 30-Day Visa in it.  

Total time for the I.O. to do his job and process me: 60 ~ 90 seconds. 

I was previously here about 6 or 7 weeks ago; visiting friends, staying in a hotel in Pattaya, and shopping...all touristy stuff.  No hassle to enter the Kingdom. 

I've been coming here for 22 years, 90% of my time is spent in Pattaya. 

I do not understand how or why some Thai Visa Forum users are being denied entry into Thailand?  

What are you doing wrong?

Is Immigration merely denying entry to people who Claim to be a tourist, but in reality are Living in Thailand?  Then Good, Bravo for the Immigration  Officers for properly doing their job. 

If some people are Living in Thailand on a Tourist Visa, then I'm glad Immigration Officers are denying entry to those abusers of the system.  The System being : Obtain the proper Visa to LIVE in Thailand.  Plain and simple. 

Failing that, those same people are in fact criminals with respect to Thailand's Immigration Laws. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Technically a tourist is someone who is not working or studying, collecting benefits etc. It doesn't really matter that they stay longer than 2 weeks at a time or stay somewhere else than a hotel.

Edited by rabang
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lipoman said:

My recent experience is the opposite of the OP's experience.  

I arrived at Suvarnabhumi yesterday, 15 Oct at approximately 14:30. 

Entered the Immigration entry point wearing long pants (trousers), plain collared shirt, and clean shoes (sneakers). 

At the Immigration Officer's desk, I walked towards him, said Hello, and handed my US passport to him; then waited for him to direct me to place my right and left fingers on the scanner; to stand and face the camera for a photo; afterward he handed my passport with my 30-Day Visa in it.  

Total time for the I.O. to do his job and process me: 60 ~ 90 seconds. 

I was previously here about 6 or 7 weeks ago; visiting friends, staying in a hotel in Pattaya, and shopping...all touristy stuff.  No hassle to enter the Kingdom. 

I've been coming here for 22 years, 90% of my time is spent in Pattaya. 

I do not understand how or why some Thai Visa Forum users are being denied entry into Thailand?  

What are you doing wrong?

It isn't as simple as this. You were not rejected because you have not been spending long in the country, and are not using a TV.

Many people including myself like to go on extended breaks in Thailand for 3-4 months each year. Globally a tourist visa is the visa to use for this. The IO's do not seem to understand that some people have income which allows them to do this. They believe anyone who is here for long durations must be working illegally, and so their current strategy is to attempt to refuse entry to anyone they suspect, regardless of how much funds they show.  

I have now been questioned two times, and on both I have been lucky, one of which was exceptionally so. They seem to have made up their minds to refuse you before you sit down. How you are dressed and what you say does not seem to matter. They do not really listen to what you say. They ask questions which attempt to lead you into admitting in some way that you are not a tourist, to give them an excuse to refuse. The conversation goes around in a loop with them telling you that you are not on holiday, and you telling them that you are on holiday. With them trying to get you to fall into the trap of demonstrating with your answers that you are living in Thailand, such as asking if you have an apartment, a wife, speak Thai. They have made up their mind already. 

If there is anything that does seem to help, it is that your inbound flight was a return ticket back to your home country. On one occasion when I was almost refused I believe I edged it because I was able to get out my full printed flight ticket showing I had paid for a return flight London to BKK, with my date of return being 10 weeks later. Upon seeing this the IO seemed to switch out of the robotic repetition of "You are not on holiday", and consulted their colleague and they let me in. 

Edited by GeraldB22
  • Like 2

It isn't as simple as this. You were not rejected because you have not been spending long in the country, and are not using a TV.

Many people including myself like to go on extended breaks in Thailand for 3-4 months each year. Globally a tourist visa is the visa to use for this. The IO's do not seem to understand that some people have income which allows them to do this. They believe anyone who is here for long durations must be working illegally, and so their current strategy is to attempt to refuse entry to anyone they suspect, regardless of how much funds they show.  

I have now been questioned two times, and on both I have been lucky, one of which was exceptionally so. They seem to have made up their minds to refuse you before you sit down. How you are dressed and what you say does not seem to matter. They do not really listen to what you say. They ask questions which attempt to lead you into admitting in some way that you are not a tourist, to give them an excuse to refuse. The conversation goes around in a loop with them telling you that you are not on holiday, and you telling them that you are on holiday. With them trying to get you to fall into the trap of demonstrating with your answers that you are living in Thailand, such as asking if you have an apartment, a wife, speak Thai. They have made up their mind already. 

If there is anything that does seem to help, it is that your inbound flight was a return ticket back to your home country. On one occasion when I was almost refused I believe I edged it because I was able to get out my full printed flight ticket showing I had paid for a return flight London to BKK, with my date of return being 10 weeks later. Upon seeing this the IO seemed to switch out of the robotic repetition of "You are not on holiday", and consulted their colleague and they let me in. 

I think you got it wrong. The fact that they allowed you entry proves that their mind were not already made up as you claim.
IO’s all over the world make a snap judgement from the first moment they see you. If they have any doubts, they will then ask questions to either confirm or dispel their suspicions.
In most if not all of the instances where a traveler was rejected, they were living (and in some cases, working) in Thailand so they were correctly rejected entry on the basis of the wrong visa type.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/16/2019 at 11:44 AM, Straight8 said:

and you still get f-wits here saying get an elite card, like it's chump change. Especially now with most major currencies down over 50% its just not viable for 90% + of the people wanting to live / stay in Thailand.

"F-wits" who can do maths & "Play" through the various options know that the only thing to consider about getting a Thai Elite Visa is "Do I really want to live in Thailand for the next 5 , 10 , 20 Years"

If I honestly knew today that I would want to spend the next 20 years in Thailand I would gladly hand over the 800K + another 200K to get a 20 year TE to simply rid myself off the hassles in renewing my Non-O

Let's look what this would save me... 

• 7,000 (I pay an agent 8,900 - 1,900 is the extension fee) for the extension [Obviously having the TE would mean my yearly date pushes back with every trip I take out of Thailand on holiday, couldn't imagine me not taking at least one trip O/S but wont claim the full 8,900
  • 5,000 for Multi Re-entry Permit (3,500 if not use an agent but only a f-wit spends a full day at CW for the sake of 1,500 THB)
  • 20,000 I pay to TLM for fast track (In & Out) at BKK
  • 15,000 I pay to my credit card for lounge access (Seasoned traveller, I like to get to airports early & chillax in the lounge)

So we're at 47,000 PA - 940,000 over 20 years... If you were committed to Thailand for 20 years then you would indeed be a f-wit not to take that deal compared to jumping through the hoops on a non-O

You'll note I know the numbers above as I don't feel like I can commit to Thailand for the next 5-20 years, & I agree with your sentiments that people who are not ready to commit do need to think again.... But I wouldn't call them f-wits... It's their money... So.. Up to Them... 

Edit to add: And sorry to be blunt, but IMHO a TE should be "Chump Change" to you if you've decide to "Retire" to Thailand before you're old enough (50) to get a long stay visa...

I know it was/is to me when I 1st looked at it at 45, but I ended up taking the route of working in a neighbouring country (Singapore) & at 53 (with a Non-O in Thailand) still think the TE is a worthwhile investment IF I felt like I could commit myself to Thailand for 8+ years (Only a F-Wit doesn't do the mathS)

Edited by Mike Teavee

inflammatory remark removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

On 10/16/2019 at 4:38 PM, Lipoman said:

Is Immigration merely denying entry to people who Claim to be a tourist, but in reality are Living in Thailand?  Then Good, Bravo for the Immigration  Officers for properly doing their job. 

Do you envy people who can spend more time as tourists in Thailand than you?

There is no official regulation setting any time limit on how long somebody can be a tourist in Thailand.

On 10/16/2019 at 4:38 PM, Lipoman said:

Failing that, those same people are in fact criminals with respect to Thailand's Immigration Laws. 

You broke the same laws as them, maybe next time you will be denied entry, but please don't complain then.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 10/16/2019 at 11:38 AM, Lipoman said:

afterward he handed my passport with my 30-Day Visa in it.  

And that's why you were considered a genuine tourist. If you had applied for a 60 day TV and tried the 30 day extension multiple times , you could get in more troubles. 

But if all you do is visit Thailand several times in a year and stay here less than 30 days they will treat you like a genuine tourist.

That's my theory anyway. 

Edited by balo

4 hours ago, balo said:

And that's why you were considered a genuine tourist. If you had applied for a 60 day TV and tried the 30 day extension multiple times , you could get in more troubles. 

But if all you do is visit Thailand several times in a year and stay here less than 30 days they will treat you like a genuine tourist.

That's my theory anyway. 

I think each immigration official has his/her own ideas of what constitutes a desirable visitor. At entry points where the criteria specified in the Thai Immigration Act for denied entry no longer apply, the opinion of the official at the immigration desk, and of his superior, determine whether you are denied entry.