Denied entry, sent back to Frankfurt

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Someone who has full insurance coverage via a home country health policy that now, under the latest rule, will not meet the requirements of an O-A visa and instead will have to buy a $2000 USD or so additional Thai policy that provides duplicative and lesser cover than their own home policy is NOT trying to "cheat or game the system."

Rather, they're simply being abused by the Thai authorities for no good reason.

I have not looked into insurance rules, but can one really not use existing policy ? does one really need to buy a new one? and does 400 000 baht policy really cost 60 000 baht?

My policy is 40 000 000 baht and i pay 60 000 baht per year, find is hard to believe a 400 000 baht policy would cost the same

I don't think reporting to media will have any impact. It is not like people fleeing war zones, violence, rape, and economic misery are denied entry enmasse. Even in that case, media report does not have any impact unless genocide is occuring. Moreoever, media personnel in UK and Europe are all very familiar with why people visit Thailand multiple times in a year. Million of tourists are coming to Thailand every year and most (99.9%) don't have any problem. It is only people who are trying to live in Thailand are having problems. 

People who are trying to live in Thailand should fly to Kuala Lumpur and try to enter through a land border (like Penang). Penang to Hat Yai by bus is a good no hassle option I would think. They will pick you up in your hotel in Penang and cross the border. If I were in OP's position, I would only use the land border. Yes it is expensive and little inconvinience but it is for now the only safe way to enter. 

Getting an ED visa just to live in Thailand is not a prudent move, in my opinion. Buying an Elite is OK if the money does not make dent in a person's savings. Use land borders as long as possible. 

Edited by onera1961

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Another case of rejected entry, this has been reported almost daily in this forum.

Yes, the number of visa/border runners are over. 

A tourist visa is strictly to visit places of attraction, shopping etc.

It's not to visit girlfriends, wives, or doing digital nomad work. Those aren't really tourists. This includes those who are living in Thailand permanently in order to save cost.

There are other visas for that.

You'r right.

But: The other visas like retirement visas, marriage visas are made more and more difficult. First the money in the bank that you cannot touch for months. Then the new plans of compusory health insurance. The hassle with TM 30 ... And more hassle to be expected

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, baboon said:

Two things folks can do are spreading the word as widely as possible and spending their money elsewhere. 

Of course if they were genuine tourists then yeah people would take it serious but when its someone living in the country full time on a tourist visa and leaves the country ONLY to get a new tourist visa, all over sudden it does not sound as bad when they are turned away.

Perhaps they should not be issued with a visa to start with and as many have been recently reporting consulates around Thailand, have started doing just that, knocking people back who have more than a few tourist visa's

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nightfox said:

Surprise surprise....Another falang trying to live in Thailand on a tourist visa being denied. When will people learn that the times have change in Thailand. Thai immigration is right saying that your not a tourist as you know your not a tourist, so why are you acting all shocked?. I would get the hint and save yourself the money on the ED visa and choose another country to live in.

I wonder what German immigration will say if a Thai citizen will have a history of tourist visas keep coming into Germany????

I would be careful with your comments!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sweatalot said:

You'r right.

But: The other visas like retirement visas, marriage visas are made more and more difficult. First the money in the bank that you cannot touch for months. Then the new plans of compulsory health insurance. The hassle with TM 30 ... And more hassle to be expected

Indeed many of the new rules are silly and pointless, HOWEVER would your home country grant anyone long term visa if they did not have money or/and did not have health insurance?

$26000 may sound like a lot of money, but in reality it is not.

I do also find it silly that one can not touch this money,but many countries require you invest 30 times more than that so kind of the same can not use the money. 

12 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

People who are trying to live in Thailand should fly to Kuala Lumpur and try to enter through a land border (like Penang

Should they also take a shovel with them to dig a tunnel

under the border in case they were retracted at the land border ?

Edited by marqus12

6 minutes ago, BestB said:

I have not looked into insurance rules, but can one really not use existing policy ? does one really need to buy a new one? and does 400 000 baht policy really cost 60 000 baht?

My policy is 40 000 000 baht and i pay 60 000 baht per year, find is hard to believe a 400 000 baht policy would cost the same

Yes, that's a realistic figure for the O-A insurance policies listed on the TGIA website.

And yes, as things stand now, people will have to buy a local Thai policy from a participating Thai provider -- even if they have better/full coverage from their home country or elsewhere -- except for the first year of applying for an O-A where a foreign policy MAY be accepted.

The premium amounts of course are going to vary based on the individual insurer and also the age of the applicant, since 50 vs 60 vs 70 vs 80 makes a huge difference for health insurance premiums.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Someone needs to do this. A few cautionary stories about Thai immigration in some Western papers would help to raise the issue.

Thailand could easily counter this by telling that those people had not the correct visa and were trying to cheat and make clear what a tourist visa is for and wha not.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Someone needs to do this. A few cautionary stories about Thai immigration in some Western papers would help to raise the issue.

Stop moaning, these people are not tourist. Visiting your girlfriend isn't being a tourist, same like being a digital nomad. Get a proper visa and don't make a fool out of yourself with your sob stories to a news paper. They will ignore these BS sob stories because you have no legal right to live here on a tourist visa.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Stop moaning, these people are not tourist. Visiting your girlfriend isn't being a tourist, same like bein a digital nomad. Get a proper visa and don't make a fool out of yourself with your sob stories to a news paper. They will ignore these BS sob stories because you have no legal right to live here on a tourist visa.

Maybe marry his girlfriend could help him out ….?

21 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, that's a realistic figure for the O-A insurance policies listed on the TGIA website.

And yes, as things stand now, people will have to buy a local Thai policy from a participating Thai provider -- even if they have better/full coverage from their home country or elsewhere -- except for the first year of applying for an O-A where a foreign policy MAY be accepted.

The premium amounts of course are going to vary based on the individual insurer and also the age of the applicant, since 50 vs 60 vs 70 vs 80 makes a huge difference for health insurance premiums.

Well this is just super stupid . If one has existing policy with required coverage 

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

Until they start making it even harder to get a non-O on the basis of marriage.

Until …… until can count for us all in time ….as I hear now next year also for Ret Ext based on non O need also THAI insurance , not only for the O-A ones as from 31 October now 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, david555 said:

Until …… until can count for us all in time ….as I hear now next year also for Ret Ext based on non O need also THAI insurance , not only for the O-A ones as from 31 October now 

In the mean time as company director I can not apply for social security to get free treatment in hospitals , got to love the irony ????

• Like 1

It wouldn't surprise me at all if in the next few years that start forcing all visitors to buy insurance, and then start whacking up the amount that you need to have on deposit to 500k/1M baht. Things seem to be constantly changing in Thailand, and never in our favour.

This was already proposed , 100 baht for each and every visitor but was shelved , just about 1-2 weeks ago

• Like 2

It wouldn't surprise me at all if in the next few years that start forcing all visitors to buy insurance, and then start whacking up the amount that you need to have on deposit to 500k/1M baht. Things seem to be constantly changing in Thailand, and never in our favour.

So move to another country.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

The 500K/1 mill would not disturb me soo much as the insurance , hence age higher pricing , and example not accepting foreign insurance which I have