Denied entry, sent back to Frankfurt

27 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I O and many Thais, just can't get their heads around the fact that some people can take half a year off work if they want, maybe by working all hours they can, and that other thing called SAVING money for a long break from work or is it just jealousy. or like me many years ago, work all year without a holiday hand my notice in before Xmas got all the holiday money + the money from the first week money in hand,plus what i had been saving all year and take off on my travels,for as long as i could make the money last, go home and get a new job or in some cases was taken back on.

Exactly, Im working in a Oil and Gas on a 21 days on  and 7 days off shift. And with working about 6 months per year I bank enough overtime to get paid 40 hours per week for the rest of 6 months I am not working.

Easy to have a half a year holiday like that. And I couldn’t take this 21 and 7 schedule for more than 6 months straight anyway.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, EricTh said:

Digital nomads aren't really tourist, that's called 'working online' and the real purpose should be conveyed to immigration .

Working online (for a business outside of Thailand) isn't considered as working in Thailand, so these persons are still considered tourists.

For example here we had a case where the person told the IO that he is working online and the IO still allowed him to enter Thailand: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1128028-i-was-given-a-warning-by-an-io-at-dmk-thoughts/

21 hours ago, EricTh said:

Whether immigration will create another visa category for 'working digital nomads' is another story.

Immigration doesn't create visa categories, this is the job of the Ministry Of Interior.

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Working online (for a business outside of Thailand) isn't considered as working in Thailand, so these persons are still considered tourists.

For example here we had a case where the person told the IO that he is working online and the IO still allowed him to enter Thailand: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1128028-i-was-given-a-warning-by-an-io-at-dmk-thoughts/

Immigration doesn't create visa categories, this is the job of the Ministry Of Interior.

In the case that you mentioned, the immigration officer doesn't know how to read English invoices beyond the elementary so he didn't really understand that he was working online in Thailand most of the time and not in other countries.

Working online is a relatively new phenomena in Thailand and few Thai know of the details.

Edited by EricTh

On 10/14/2019 at 11:35 AM, ChipButty said:

I would imagine very soon these airlines are going to get <deleted> off with the Thai immigration the amount on a daily basis they are rejecting,

One way around this would be dont fly long haul into Thailand maybe to Malaysia at least it's a short flight and spend your money there

Good point. I usually fly Air Asia from Perth, change planes in KL, then on to Don Muang. So if I was refused entry I'd be returned to KL. No worries at all, I'll get a bus from the airport to the lovely city of Malacca and have a very nice time dining on Chinese/Indian/Malay food and satay & cold beers in Jonker Street at night.

On 10/14/2019 at 11:35 AM, ChipButty said:

I would imagine very soon these airlines are going to get <deleted> off with the Thai immigration the amount on a daily basis they are rejecting,

I would think the airlines would be very happy to sell a vacant seat at full price.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I would think the airlines would be very happy to sell a vacant seat at full price.

The logistics of carrying a rejected person are more complex than of a regular passenger, not too sure they need the hassle.

was at the airport today  , a bit scared after all the people get denny ; the officer look at my passport long time but he Stamp me 30 days ,

every year i do that i come with 30 days  and i go to laos for make Non O visa for stay 6 month in thailand

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Depends on how many percent of denied persons agree to pay for the ticket back.

If they refuse to pay the airline has to pay for transporting them back.

9 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Depends on how many percent of denied persons agree to pay for the ticket back.

If they refuse to pay the airline has to pay for transporting them back.

I wonder, if that person boarded with a valid visa and flight  out they may balk at giving him a free ride home. Wasn't one person refusing to pay for a ticket told he would be taken to a jail. 

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

100% pay for their tickets back.

Else they stay in the immigration cell.

Do not forget still pay for the immigration cell as well, around 700 baht per day if I am not mistaken and it’s not Pattaya 500 baht room standards either 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I wonder, if that person boarded with a valid visa and flight  out they may balk at giving him a free ride home. Wasn't one person refusing to pay for a ticket told he would be taken to a jail. 

Can not recall where I read but if airline accepted someone without proper visa and a valid flight out , they could be responsible to fly that person back for free but unsure if it works when it comes to Thailand 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 6:51 PM, SteveK said:

They are telling him to get a non-O when they almost certainly know that he won't qualify for one! Very scummy behaviour.

Oh well, that's a few thousand Euros that Thailand won't be getting - do as others say and go somewhere else where you will no doubt be welcomed!

These reports are becoming almost daily now, something needs to be done about getting it out into the public domain.

"These reports are becoming almost daily now..."

Even if they were reported almost daily, which they are not, it would amount to how many? Four or five personally reported here, i.e. when it actually happened to them?   Hearsay stories about something that they, or their friend, heard don't count.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2019 at 6:51 PM, SteveK said:

These reports are becoming almost daily now, something needs to be done about getting it out into the public domain.

What do you want to see in the public domain, that some foreigners, ostensibly living here (got a long-term girlfriend, money in Thai banks, condo leases, for example) but goosing the system by doing it on Tourist visas, are being refused entry and that if they want to live here they should get the correct visa? 

Great idea, sounds like something most people would agree with. It should, at least, stop some of the unjustified whinging that is heard here from people who get caught out with the wrong visas and refuse to admit that they're in the wrong.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, cerox said:

Immigration does not want us to spend 4-6 months in a row here on a tourist visa regularly. They do not need our money. We have to accept that.

Yeah, the immigration doesn't but I bet the condo owners of the places I stay at, owners of the coffee shops and restaurants etc. that I frequent, usually at times when they aren't exactly busy with other customers, would probably accept my money.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2019 at 7:27 PM, William Osborne said:

Its absolutely insane that a consulate/embassy can issue a visa and then be refused entry on IOs opinion.....

Theyre really gonna <deleted> themselves here regarding euro tourists.....especially guys doing rotational work etc

Why is it "absolutely insane?   A visa is not a guarantee that the holder will be allowed into any country, and that includes yours!

"...and then be refused entry on IOs opinion".

Just as in the rest of the world that is what an IO's job is, to decide if the visa holder is legitimate!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/13/2019 at 7:58 PM, ukrules said:

No, it's not worth it - we need to get the word out on this kind of arbitrary treatment

You mean this kind of "arbitrary treatment" that affects a tiny fraction of 1% of the millions who come here?  Yes, we really need to get the word out about something and nothing!

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Can't see the airline knowing any better than the consulate that issues the visa though!

It’s not about the ones who turned away with valid visa but those without a visa and without return flight . I remember some 7-8 years ago checking in with Thai air in Sydney , I was asked by airline to see my return ticket  which I did not have. At first they could not check me in.but after seeing I had bon b I was allowed to board. This is when i read somewhere, maybe even airline gave me some info that if they carry passenger without visa and/or return they can be made liable to fly them back free of charge . 

On 10/13/2019 at 8:56 PM, GeorgeCross said:

i dont know about germany but i know what the uk would say "welcome to the UK" because we issue 1, 5 and 10 year MULTIPLE ENTRY TOURIST VISAS

i cant imagine why a european might then think getting a MULTIPLE ENTRY TOURIST VISA would then get him rejected in Thailand

"i cant imagine why a european might then think getting a MULTIPLE ENTRY TOURIST VISA would then get him rejected in Thailand"

There's no reason for that tourist to think that because it doesn't happen to 99.9% of tourists.  The ones with the problems are the tiny minority who come here with issues clearly evident to IOs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, rabang said:

Yeah, the immigration doesn't but I bet the condo owners of the places I stay at, owners of the coffee shops and restaurants etc. that I frequent, usually at times when they aren't exactly busy with other customers, would probably accept my money.

Everybody will accept my money in any country but that does not give me the rights to live in abother country on tourist visas. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 9:00 PM, baboon said:

To suggest visas are being issued which will quite possibly not be honoured is a conscious decision, is with foundation.  There are two sides to that coin.

I don't care which department is in the wrong. It is shocking either way and shame on anyone defending them.

"...shame on anyone defending them".

What?  Shame on anyone using a Tourist visa and trying to use it to live here illegally!

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 9:11 PM, SteveK said:

BUT - in those cases, the (Oz/UK) immigration officials conduct a careful and considered investigation to determine the facts.

...and genuine tourists never have a problem, just like Thailand.  Most of the posters here need to remember that!

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 9:17 PM, baboon said:

Two things folks can do are spreading the word as widely as possible and spending their money elsewhere. 

Spread the word about what!?  That genuine tourists will never have problems with Thai IOs?  That word doesn't need spreading, experience tells them all that already.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/13/2019 at 9:48 PM, sweatalot said:
On 10/13/2019 at 9:24 PM, SteveK said:

Someone needs to do this. A few cautionary stories about Thai immigration in some Western papers would help to raise the issue.

Thailand could easily counter this by telling that those people had not the correct visa and were trying to cheat and make clear what a tourist visa is for and wha not.

And Thailand would be spot-on right with that response to that hypothetical situation.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1