Can someone just write in short words what the requirements are, 

regarding showing an amount of 20.000 baht in cash, (if ask by IMO)

and also regarding TM30 if I stay in a private property. My friend says

it is not the law, well he is Thai and does not know the rules I guess.

So please just write it in short, and I will translate it.

Thanks

The Minister sets amounts in cash that must be shown by foreigners entering Thailand. The current rules (which have been in force for a long time now) are

• If entering visa exempt, or with a transit visa, you must show on demand 10,000 baht for an individual, or 20,000 baht for a family.
  • If entering with other visa categories, you must show 20,000 baht for an individual or 40,000 baht for a family.

The TM30 is a little harder to explain. It is based on Section 38 of the Immigration Act

Section 38

The housemaster, the owner or the possessor of the residence, or the hotel manager where the alien, receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed, must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours, dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area, the local police official for that area must be notified.

In case the house, dwelling place, or hotel where the alien has stayed under provision of paragraph 1 is located within the Bangkok area, such notification must be reported to the competent official at the Immigration Division.

Making notification, in reference to the paragraph 1 and 2 of this Section, must comply with regulations prescribed by the Director General.

What this means, in practice, if you are staying at a residential property of a friend, is that the property's owner, or the person with a long term licence agreement, should submit the TM30 ("Notification of Alien staying in the House") within 24 hours of your arrival. As a practical matter, every immigration office has its own rules around TM30 notifications. If you do not intend contacting the immigration office for other reasons, you might decide to ignore the regulation, planning to pay the fine in the unlikely event that the failure to notify immigration is discovered.

40 minutes ago, andy72 said:

dont take the 10k as gospel

i came in cnx visa exempt they marched me to atm withdraw 20k

I believe you even it never happen to me but I always carry cash anyway

because I do not have a credit card I only wanted to show my friend

I was right about the cash and TM30

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You can be asked to show 20k baht or same any currency.

Forget tm30. That is not required for tourist. 

Why would he forget about TM30? It will only work if he stay in hotels. He clearly stated he will stay at a friends house, which means that a TM30 has to be made depending on what the Immigration Office enforce in the province he is staying in.

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You can be asked to show 20k baht or same any currency.

Forget tm30. That is not required for tourist. 

Why would you give the OP wrong advice ??? Of course a TM30 is required, either the hotel or owner housemaster etc will be required to do a TM30. In the OPs situation the friend he is staying with would need to do a TM30.

If the guy visits immigration for an extension, COR etc, most immigration offices will require a TM30 and fine if its not done.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Why would he forget about TM30? It will only work if he stay in hotels. He clearly stated he will stay at a friends house, which means that a TM30 has to be made depending on what the Immigration Office enforce in the province he is staying in.

Staying at friends house means less of reason for tm30. I did not read any mention of how long he is staying. Sounds like tourist on a visit. Unless he has need to attend imm eg 30 day extension, then do nothing

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Why would you give the OP wrong advice ??? Of course a TM30 is required, either the hotel or owner housemaster etc will be required to do a TM30. In the OPs situation the friend he is staying with would need to do a TM30.

If the guy visits immigration for an extension, COR etc, most immigration offices will require a TM30 and fine if its not done.

Has he stated intention or need to visit imm?

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

The Minister sets amounts in cash that must be shown by foreigners entering Thailand. The current rules (which have been in force for a long time now) are

• If entering visa exempt, or with a transit visa, you must show on demand 10,000 baht for an individual, or 20,000 baht for a family.
  • If entering with other visa categories, you must show 20,000 baht for an individual or 40,000 baht for a family.

The TM30 is a little harder to explain. It is based on Section 38 of the Immigration Act

What this means, in practice, if you are staying at a residential property of a friend, is that the property's owner, or the person with a long term licence agreement, should submit the TM30 ("Notification of Alien staying in the House") within 24 hours of your arrival. As a practical matter, every immigration office has its own rules around TM30 notifications. If you do not intend contacting the immigration office for other reasons, you might decide to ignore the regulation, planning to pay the fine in the unlikely event that the failure to notify immigration is discovered.

Good advice. Perhaps the couple of members above could read. To add the heading of thread is HOLIDAY. Sounds like tourist. Staying at friends house need file tm30! No

Edited by DrJack54

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Good advice. Perhaps the couple of members above could read. To add the heading of thread is HOLIDAY. Sounds like tourist. Staying at friends house need file tm30! No

the rules says he does need a tm30, but in practice if no contact needs to be made with local immigration during his stay, then no need to do the tm30. so to say no tm30 without explaining is misleading, other people get their information from threads , not only the op.

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

the rules says he does need a tm30, but in practice if no contact needs to be made with local immigration during his stay, then no need to do the tm30. so to say no tm30 without explaining is misleading, other people get their information from threads , not only the op.

Again, this guy clearly not here on extensions. The thread heading is holiday.

How many tourists file a tm30. BTW after my recent visit to CW on Oct 8 for annual extension, I had attended with all my docs. Was all prepared to be greeted with.."where is tm30, no have, go to line ## and complete tm30.

I have been in same condo for 7 years never done a tm30. Few days prior to going to imm I asked condo owner to file tm30. 

Anyway the io did not mention tm30. First comment from her was about bankbooks and bank letters. Also passport. As she worked through the docs, lease, map etc... finally go to my last sheet, which was receipt of tm30. She did not even glance at it just handed to back to me. Comment "you keep".

BTW did not scan my pp prior to checking, ticking, and stamping my supplied docs. 

I'm writing this in detail as few months ago when tm30 threads were a daily event with such headings as..."fined 800baht at CW today tm30. I just haven't seen recent reports. 

So the op is on a holiday and is asking about a tm30. He did not mention needing to attend imm. He mentioned holiday staying friends house.