Recessed outlets ?

gamb00ler

I'm looking to use a couple of these in our new house build.  Are they or similar items easily found in Thailand?

We will be using double AC block walls were appropriate.

Should I take some with me from USA?

RecessedOutlet.jpg

I would bring from USA personally. Just be sure the box allows conduit for both power and low voltage. Trimming it properly is going to take some work since they aren’t designed for masonry. 

The other option would just be to build a recess about an inch deep and install the boxes in it. It might give you better results and flexibility on TV mounts. 

Is coax and a phone jack really relevant to a new house? I would not want either of these ancient technologies under any circumstances. If anything wire the house with exclusively cat 7a with POE.

Aside from that I would not recommend the product pictured nor would I bring something similar from the US because it is the wrong outlet type and the standard Thai plugs with round leads won't fit.

4 hours ago, canopy said:

Is coax and a phone jack really relevant to a new house?

It isn't an RJ14 jack! It's an RJ45. And many/most/all satellite dishes use coax. Though SWMBO is happy with YouTube so we haven't bothered with a dish yet. The RJ45 was an afterthought and should have been an original install.

IMG_8513.thumb.JPG.640554ec7dfc31753960b89436e43e9c.JPG

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It isn't an RJ14 jack! It's an RJ45. And many/most/all satellite dishes use coax. Though SWMBO is happy with YouTube so we haven't bothered with a dish yet. The RJ45 was an afterthought and should have been an original install.

You're right. I think I can make out it says cat5. That is terribly outdated! Soon the fiber optic speeds in Thailand will go higher than 1 gigabit. To handle this you will need advanced ethernet cables and connectors. Given the reliability and speed of today's internet in Thailand I can't see the point of putting in old fashioned things like satellite dishes, cable tv, or wired telephones. Cable modems and adsl are also on the way out.

One important note about proximity of data cables with power cables. Typically countries have regulations on minimum distances they should be from each other for safety like say a short that would run AC power into a DC cable or noise/interference of AC into the DC cable impacting its performance. AC and DC cables usually should not come closer than 30-50cm of each other.

41 minutes ago, canopy said:

You're right. I think I can make out it says cat5. 

Actually it says cat5e though the wall jacks are effectively the same for cat5, cat5e, cat6, and cat6a the difference is in the thickness and twist of the cable pairs not the termination. So as long as the cable will fit any good quality wall socket will function just fine

Both 6 and 6a support 10 Gbps speeds, 6a over a greater distance 

if it will fit cat7 can be punched into the same jack though you will be missing the ground but since cat7 is not yet ratified there are very few endpoints available.

Also since cat6a has the same maximum data throughout as the proposed cat7, cat6a is in much wider use.

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If it will fit cat7 can be punched into the same jack though you will be missing the ground but since cat7 is not yet ratified there are very few endpoints available.

Also since cat6a has the same maximum data throughout as the proposed cat7, cat6a is in much wider use.

We re-cabled the office with Cat7... boy that stuff is stiff!  I wouldn’t try to use anything but 5e on that type of recessed box; there really isn’t enough bending space for the newer cables.

Depending on what the TV is for, I prefer having a 50mm conduit to a closet or console somewhere so the set-top boxes can be remote as well as accommodating remote speakers.  Relying on wireless for something fixed in place is silly in my book.

I'm sorry I used that picture.  I just wanted to illustrate a recessed outlet not one that contains those precise access points.  I will choose one with ethernet/fiber or an unused but removal panel that could be used to add HDMI connector.

14 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Limiting the use of the power outlet with restricted space. Unless you have a specific plug and leave use.

It will be most likely used where I wish to have furniture butting up flush against the wall, say in a bedroom where only lamps will need the outlet.

10 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Any special reason for not going cat6a? And could you get wall termination points with the correct grounding points?

Someone specified it in my absence, 6a would have been my go-to, although it is still pretty substantial. The only good thing about the 7 is we were able to sneak in some fiber into the runs without it impacting the pulls. 

Archived