Returning to Thailand after two years out...would there be any issues gaining entry?

I stayed in Thailand from Oct 2016-May 2018. I had a rotation of SETV and non-B visas (I worked at 3 schools during that time, so I'd get a SETV when the school ended and convert to a non-B and extension for the new school). In total, I had 4 SETV and 3 non-B visas.

I've been home in the US since. I plan on taking a vacation next July 2020 during my summer break to Thailand and also hitting Seoul and then going back to the US. It'd be a total of over 25 months out of Thailand. I'd have a ticket out of Thailand to Seoul within 30 days and also a ticket from Seoul to the US, so reasonable proof of return. I also plan on including cash and accommodation proof.

It seems there's been more denials lately on long-term tourists or those staying a few months/year in Thailand. Would my history be classified as such, especially considering I'll have spent 2 years out of Thailand? I'm aware they IO's use a database, but I'm wondering if a new passport would help, as seeing extensive visa history might raise eyebrows when presented at the desk. I'm also wondering if I should pursue a SETV or if I'd be fine on a 30-day visa exempt.

It seems it's likely I'll get questioned, which won't be fun. Just want to know if over two years out of Thailand would allow me to enter with little difficulty or if I should prepare for the worst.

A new passport would not help, because the history between them will be linked in the database. However, 2 years out. I can not see that you will have any problem entering Thaialnd, as long as you can show ticket out, 20k baht in cash and hotel booking for the first nights.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thedan663 said:

It seems it's likely I'll get questioned, which won't be fun. Just want to know if over two years out of Thailand would allow me to enter with little difficulty or if I should prepare for the worst.

It’s highly unlikely you’ll get questioned. Your history — shouldn’t — be an issue.

They are trying to stop/reduce people living in the country as ‘tourists’. You don’t currently fit that profile.

4 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Visitors for tourism, like the OP, have nothing to worry about.

Visitors using tourist visas to live in the country do.

So how is tourism defined? 179 days? Consecutive? Non consecutive?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

It isn’t. 

Typically a ‘tourist’ visits a for a short holiday and returns home. If you hang around in Thailand for months/years the suspicion is that you are working (most people have to) or up to no good.

There is an unofficial line in the sand of 180 days, but as it stands the power and decision is given to IO’s at the border to decide when enough is enough.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, elviajero said:

Visitors for tourism, like the OP, have nothing to worry about.

Visitors using tourist visas to live in the country do.

Actually the Austrian Embassy warned me that recently there have been People denied that went there on a 2 week holiday for the first time. 

In this case because they didn't have 20k baht in cash, because they probably didn't know about it. 

So even if you are a genuine tourist, if something is wrong or the officer doesn't like you, you can be sure to fly back home ! 

Edited by Austrian26
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, elviajero said:

It’s highly unlikely you’ll get questioned. Your history — shouldn’t — be an issue.

They are trying to stop/reduce people living in the country as ‘tourists’. You don’t currently fit that profile.

Define living in the country as a tourist? Its subjective as its unclear how many days one can stay in Thailand in any calendar year or 12 month period. Some folks can afford several vactions a year, its not clear at all!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Austrian26 said:

Actually the Austrian Embassy warned me that recently there have been People denied that went there on a 2 week holiday for the first time. 

In this case because they didn't have 20k baht in cash, because they probably didn't know about it. 

So even if you are a genuine tourist, if something is wrong or the officer doesn't like you, you can be sure to fly back home ! 

I am sure there was more to it than that. Millions enter the country every year without an issue.

Annoying as it is - at the end of the day the entry requirements are 10/20K and if you don't have it they can deny entry. Immigration only - as a general rule - ask for proof of onward flights and 10/20K baht cash if they are looking for something to justify denying entry. It's a big deal to deny entry at the airport and they are not going to deny entry to someone visiting for the first time, with the right visa, without reason. And it's not just down to the IO at passport control as a denied entry has to be signed off by the senior officer on duty.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

Define living in the country as a tourist? Its subjective as its unclear how many days one can stay in Thailand in any calendar year or 12 month period. Some folks can afford several vactions a year, its not clear at all!

They don't define what tourism is beyond making it clear you can't work. What is clear - within the visa system - is that tourist visas are meant for short term visits of up to 90 days. That is more than enough time for the majority of visitors wanting to holiday in Thailand. You need a reason other than tourism to stay longer.

By law you are considered resident for tax after 180 days, so I would suggest that is the point at which someone goes from a holidaying visitor to resident (living in the country). The visa exempt flag system is set at 6 being 6 x 30 = 180 days. And in the past, when they had a set limit of visa exempt entries, it was 90 days in any rolling 180 days which equated to 180 days per year. But until official limits are imposed - which is likely when their computer systems can cope with such limits - discretionary power will remain with the IO's at the border.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, elviajero said:

I am sure there was more to it than that. Millions enter the country every year without an issue.

Annoying as it is - at the end of the day the entry requirements are 10/20K and if you don't have it they can deny entry. Immigration only - as a general rule - ask for proof of onward flights and 10/20K baht cash if they are looking for something to justify denying entry. It's a big deal to deny entry at the airport and they are not going to deny entry to someone visiting for the first time, with the right visa, without reason. And it's not just down to the IO at passport control as a denied entry has to be signed off by the senior officer on duty.

Where do you get 20k TB before you get through immigration?

1 hour ago, Balance said:

Where do you get 20k TB before you get through immigration?

It doesn’t have to be THB. It can be the equivalent in any currency that’s exchangeable, or travellers cheques.

I imagine most tourists exchange cash in their home countries before travelling.

16 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

A tourist is now whatever the immigration official you are currently dealing with decides. It used to mean someone in Thailand for pleasure without working. That is still the meaning at most land crossings.

Yes, Section 12 of the Immigration Act does not include "this official does not think this person should be defined as someone visiting Thailand for pleasure without working". It does not matter. If the official at some airports decides you are not visiting because you like Thailand, they are being allowed to cite bogus reasons to exclude you.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the responses. Knowing that it shouldn't be any issue and I can breath easy is quite re-assuring. I appreciate all the responses! I just didn't know what it's like for people who have a clear history, but have been outside for a couple years.