Is there any speedway type racing in Thailand?

Damrongsak

We used to go to Poole Pirates, cripes, nearly 30 years ago now ???? 

Always a good evening out of beer, racing, more beer, kebab.

Apart from on the roads I've never seen anything like it in the Mysterious East, is it even a thing outside the UK?

35 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Apart from on the roads I've never seen anything like it in the Mysterious East, is it even a thing outside the UK?

We used to go to Belle Vue Aces back in the 60's then on the fun fair after

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

We used to go to Belle Vue back in the 60's then on the fun fair after

Ah, the 60's, life was a lot simpler then, even the 70's were good, these days one has to be very careful of hybrids waging war! 

Is there any speedway type racing in Thailand?

Hmm. Someone would have to build a specific track. Then there would need to be rules. Thais generally don't like rules? 

Then again I don't know how much motocross there is.

11 hours ago, Crossy said:

I went to Cradley , Birmingham. It was forced to close in 1995 , re-opened in 2010. Speedway is popular in Denmark , Sweden and a few others. As pure a sport as drag racing.

1 hour ago, ktm jeff said:

I went to Cradley , Birmingham. It was forced to close in 1995 , re-opened in 2010. Speedway is popular in Denmark , Sweden and a few others. As pure a sport as drag racing.

I think of it as drag racing in the round.

13 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

I went to Cradley , Birmingham.

I used to go to Coventry (home of the (Coventry Bees?) for the stock cars. Another sport that could be suited to Thailand but...

When Thais realise that speedway is ideally suited to gambling.............

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

I used to go to Coventry (home of the (Coventry Bees?) for the stock cars. Another sport that could be suited to Thailand but...

"When Thais realise that speedway is ideally suited to gambling............."

My thinking exactly!  Slam, bam, a few rounds around around the track and done.  And those of us who are a bit old and ditzy can follow a few laps and see who is winning. 

On 10/14/2019 at 8:39 AM, VocalNeal said:

When I had my DT I used to use a local mechanic who ran a two bike MX team on the local circuit.  There's a small, but enthusiastic group spread across the country, holding regular events that culminate in the semi-annual MXGP of Thailand, which is part of the international FIM MX world championship.

On 10/14/2019 at 8:39 AM, VocalNeal said:

Hmm. Someone would have to build a specific track. Then there would need to be rules. Thais generally don't like rules? 

I would guestimate that MX is the biggest 2 wheel sport in Thailand.

Every province has at least one track.

My local market town has a couple of events per annum.

Prolly 40-70 bikes & riders. From little kids to home made modified bikes to top of the range 300k Yamahonsuzukawas.

With all the kit.

And wealthy parents.

Some travelling 200 kms to get there.

8 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I went to Coventry a few times in the early to mid 80,s. Hednesford Hills in Cannock for the stock cars and bangers. Birmingham Wheels track sometimes. Still go to watch some races if in England at the time of the big races. The price of second hand cars may prevent banger racing.

15 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

I went to Coventry a few times in the early to mid 80,s. Hednesford Hills in Cannock for the stock cars and bangers. Birmingham Wheels track sometimes. Still go to watch some races if in England at the time of the big races. The price of second hand cars may prevent banger racing.

Sadly being a bit older I was there late 60's early 70's. Used to build/rebuild engines for my mates Formula 2 car. One guy in the village with a F1 car! So only Coventry, Hednesford, Bellvue, Rayleigh etc as a spectator.

In Thailand around 1978, I had a Suzuki TS125 bike.  My bro-in-law. as a kid, was impressed.  To this day, he says I inspired him to get into motorcycles.

Nowadays in the USA, he mows my lawn, fixes my cars and generally helps out.  Always gives me a sincere Wai whenever he comes.  I'm the old dirt-bag, 555. But he was just a kid 40+ years ago. 

... I did sponsor his family of four to come to the USA, so payback is a bitch, eh?

Archived