Thai government promotes 18 measures to reach target of 39 million tourists

webfact

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

If I was with Thai Immigration and read this thread I would be working on 18 ways to remove farang from Thailand as they seem to hate it so much.

Idea 1......compulsory insurance...check

2......double the retirement financials and ONLY money in the bank allowed, no more income letters

3 …..retirement age for visas now 65 to bring it into line with general global standards for actual retirement age

4....not needed.

Bye bye

The subject is increasing tourism, nothing to do with retirees. But to address some of your items: I don't think we hate Thailand, we just hate being taken advantage of at every opportunity; double the income requirements for retirees...how many Thais make 65K a month? Sure, drive the long stayers out so that all the condos and houses we occupy are empty. And all the restaurants and supermarkets that cater to farang living here suffer. This will surely help the Thai economy. I could easily take my 125K baht monthly pension someplace else, but I'd like to stay here after all the years I've spent here. Just would like to see things get better here for us. Many countries are making it easier for foreigners to retire there, but not Thailand.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, tonysilly said:

Keep the tourist safe, stop the scams, scams , and more scams. Stop overcharging tourist. Clean streets, clean your freaking beaches. Wake up Thailand before its too late.  

It is too late, Thailand’s washed up. 20 years ago I used to tell anyone that was interested how wonderful it was. Now I barely mention it when I do I describe it as it is a complete dog hole 

Why in the HELL does Thailand care more about tourist and making the hotel and restaurants more money than they do about the poor farmer and hard working Thai people? OH I forgot this is now a country ran by a dictator. Make the rich richer and the poor poorer

4 hours ago, corkman said:

Oh, and there is another one. "No more archaic alcohol free days" to reduce domestic tourists going overseas on long weekends during the low season, and foreign tourists from staying away!

Seriously? People can't buy their booze the day before the bars close and drink at home?

LOL.

5 minutes ago, Caine said:

It is too late, Thailand’s washed up. 20 years ago I used to tell anyone that was interested how wonderful it was. Now I barely mention it when I do I describe it as it is a complete dog hole 

Plenty of wonderful places in LOS, but you won't find them in the cities.

Are people just too lazy now to get out and find those treasures? Buses go past most of them for those without their own transport.

I'm not saying where they are as I don't want the masses ruining them.

Seven pages of the usual cynical remarks .    For once I can not disagree with any of them.(regarding these "measures") ...

disclaimer:  they don't really affect me as i have long ago gone past the tourist phase.

10 minutes ago, randy723 said:

Why in the HELL does Thailand care more about tourist and making the hotel and restaurants more money than they do about the poor farmer and hard working Thai people? OH I forgot this is now a country ran by a dictator. Make the rich richer and the poor poorer

???????????????????

The tourist trade employs directly hundreds of thousands of poor Thais, many of which earn far more than they would planting rice.

Encouraging the tourist trade is making many thousands of poor Thais wealthier, allowing their children to stay at school longer, and get better jobs than their parents did.

Most of the Thais in tourism do work hard.

24 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Just cover the country in resorts and a 100 million foreigners. There are about twenty million too many here already. Mass tourism has destroyed what was unique about Thailand. If i did not have a Thai partner i would just hang out in Laos . Far fewer foreigners and it has not been ruined yet but they are working on it.

From what I hear, you would NOT be having a Laotian partner unless married. Thailand is still the cheese.

I Maybe they would be best to prevent all the nationalistic prejudice towards non Thais they would gain more confidence. The proverbial PooPoo sticks and this place more proverbial PooPoo sticks each and everyday. Now to the point that this place has become a joke of a proverbial PooPoo hole place to visit, 

Number of proverbial PooPoo that Stick points to consider 

1: 2 tier charging

2: police extortion favouring Thais in disputes and accident cases

3: Rip off legal fees

4: Aggressive behaviour and lack of Jai Yen Yen from the hypocrisy of the aggressive indigenous folk  

the list goes on and on ! 

amazing that the proverbial PooPoo word is censored on this lack of free speech forum. Even the word ‘folk’ seems to be outlawed amazing 

6 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

Start clean the streets, the stinky sewers. the beaches on day-lie bases would be a nice start.

Of course there is much more, but you have to start somewhere. Oh and let the tourist/expats also pay the 35 bht daily for healthcare in state hospitals, if they want more they pay more your loss will be gone soon and everybody has an insurance.

I agree that the streets need to be cleaned up and specifically the fly tipping of garbage. It is very bad in Koh Samui. And there is an ugly tip right before you reach Departures on the left side of the road. This is what departing visitors see just as they leave. The roads to the airport are shocking too so infrastructure should be a priority. Finally, for Samui, when is Bangkok Airways going to offer affordable air fares? The travel agents in Europe are avoiding Samui as it's so expensive to get here! At the very least they should plan ahead and do early bird saver promotions and last minute promotionalo fares to fill up seats!

There - rant over!

36 minutes ago, Caine said:

Bang On Target, the Corrupt ways have made this place a stinking ship, 

proverbial PooPoo builds up a picture. these clowns are unable to see past the end of the bank balances 

6 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

Start clean the streets, the stinky sewers. the beaches on day-lie bases would be a nice start.

I was down by Sathorn BTS yesterday, and the whole area reeked to high heaven from the large (and fetid) khlong that runs along the road there... It never smells good or has no smell, but yesterday the sewage smell was really overpowering everywhere in the immediate vicinity. And that's right in the midst of downtown BKK.

22 minutes ago, rumak said:

Seven pages of the usual cynical remarks .    For once I can not disagree with any of them.(regarding these "measures") ...

disclaimer:  they don't really affect me as i have long ago gone past the tourist phase.

Rumak, like you I have been here 20 years and way past the tourist stage, but that also gives us the history to judge tourism and what has changed for the worst, and why.

Up until this year, I would have been defending Thailand and laughing at all the cynical comments that tourism is dying, nail in the coffin etc. But I can't anymore.

And whilst tourism will always be a big industry, and maybe China and India can fill the void left by all those tourists that came every year that will never come back. But for sure, it will never be the exotic, idyllic, friendly, clean and fun place it once was. Now it's just a dirty, lazy, dangerous, corrupt, unfriendly place to visit.

Thailand is a victim of it's own success, and along the way forgot what made it successful...and now I could not advise anyone to visit Thailand.

I live here purely because of business and get out as often as I can. 

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Plenty of wonderful places in LOS, but you won't find them in the cities.

Are people just too lazy now to get out and find those treasures? Buses go past most of them for those without their own transport.

I'm not saying where they are as I don't want the masses ruining them.

I won't go in a bus with thai driver....oh and the brakes don't work so i won't go in any bus at all here.

1 hour ago, Garybaldy said:

It would be interesting to know now western tourists are staying away and Chinese and Indians are king how much they spend whilst here as apposed to their western counterparts. From what I can see there are 4 Chinese sharing one portion of chicken rice and crammed into condos by the dozen.

One accusation that can never be levelled at Chinese people is that they skimp on food. They proudly proclaim that they will eat anything with legs thats not a table and anything with wings thats not an airplane.

And they do.

As far as I have experienced on my many travels in Thailand, tourist destinations in this country, already have to many tourists and far to many hotels, in order to attract quality tourists.  I will rather stay at home, than travel to an overcrowded tourist destination with dirty beaches, where many people behave like animals.

I suggest that Thailand starts to measure and publish the numbers of water quality on their beaches. As it is now, I would not dare to take a swim on any beach in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Caine said:

is this because of all the SOI dogs??? or all the old birds in bars ???

7 hours ago, dimitriv said:

Unfortunately, there is no discussion about tackling air pollution.

Pollution, two tear prices, racism, £6 for a beer, no beer until after 5 pm, no smoking, crazy drivers, no English any wheres on and on, Thailand on the ropes mates

10 minutes ago, kevinmartyn said:

I am of the opinion that Thailand has lost the edge it once had and very few overseas visitors are choosing Thailand as a holiday destination- other asian contries have overtaken Thailand specially Malaysia!

and Vietnam and tourism into China is increasing rapidly and now much easier to get a visa for both countries, especially the e-visa for Vietnam all on-line, simple, easy quick and on arrival you go straight to the normal 'foreigners' passport line. 

Archived