Thai government promotes 18 measures to reach target of 39 million tourists

webfact

9 minutes ago, scorecard said:

and Vietnam and tourism into China is increasing rapidly and now much easier to get a visa for both countries, especially the e-visa for Vietnam all on-line, simple, easy quick and on arrival you go straight to the normal 'foreigners' passport line. 

if YOU are Uk person NOT NEED visa for VIETNAM....one gets 15 days on arrival.....leave country for 1 month can get another 15 days SIMPLE....

This came in July 2015

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cabinet of economic ministers earlier last week approved 18 tourism stimulation measures which, the government is confident. will attract the targeted 39.8 million tourists.

That might well get them here for 1 visit,  But, how are these economic ministers going to get these tourists to visit for a second time!

6 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

If I didn't have interests in Thailand, I simply would not go. The Baht against the Aussie Dollar is a killer.

The other way round. The Aussie Dollar  is in poor shape against other currencies besides the Baht. Have you complained to the Aussie Government.

7 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

Start clean the streets, the stinky sewers. the beaches on day-lie bases would be a nice start.

Of course there is much more, but you have to start somewhere. Oh and let the tourist/expats also pay the 35 bht daily for healthcare in state hospitals, if they want more they pay more your loss will be gone soon and everybody has an insurance.

6 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

True, but I only care about my currency.

Then if your not getting value for your currency complain to your countries government ,don't blame  the Thai Baht

As long as this stupid government and central bank not make any real large steps to bring the strong bath down, tourists wont return with these peanusts changes and offers. They still need to go change their money into extreme strong bath.

More and more thai even go on short trip abroad as it became so cheap for them.

Coming high season with me very bad!!!!

Only cheap Chinese groups will arrive.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The cabinet of economic ministers earlier last week approved 18 tourism stimulation measures

18 measures to combat desperation as the realisation that Thailand has one way or another killed the tourism market is slowly but surely sinking in.

Deaths, safety, crime, rip-offs, violence, baht strength, insurance, it goes on & on !

People are looking for more accommodating countries who treat us with respect & not as a cash cow !

5 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Instead of band aid's they need to revamp the whole country much like a lot of the world you have to fun for the whole family especially kids

Imagine how a hotel in Bangkok would do if it had a water park

The young people have some money but the family rules.

So, why would I travel 1/2 way around the world to stay in a hotel to hang out at the water park when that kind of thing is in every country?

Just returned from the UAE. When we arrived, I was greeted by an immigration officer who welcomed me with a "Hello, Sir". He then noticed I had been there before and asked about it. I confirmed this and he immediately stamped my passport and with a smile on his face said, "I hope your trip is well, sir." Even gave me a free tourist SIM with data and talk time. Surely these make it easier to track your whereabouts but the honey of a free SIM goes down much easier than the vinegar of a TM30.

My wife, the same experience except replace "sir" with "madam". We did not come across a single person who was not respectful and helpful. The worst experience we had was when getting a SIM card. To this, I wouldn't even say the attendant was disrespectful, just tired and trying to make sure everyone was served. He was still polite and competent and had us out in five minutes.

This was the entire trip and to be quite frank, the prices we paid for everything weren't much more than here in Bangkok and around the islands. We stayed at a nice 4 star hotel for reference and ate at medium level restaurants in terms of quality and price. 

The second we landed back in Bangkok, things were the opposite. Unfriendly immigration who look at you like cattle and don't speak. Slow trains and poor facilities that aren't updated. Incompetence all around. Had to replace my Thai SIM as I lost it somewhere on the trip to UAE. Went to true and they said we had to come back as their system was down. Went back and no one spoke English. Had to go back later with my wife. 

Want to increase tourism, start with the basics. Friendlier and more competent people and modernized infrastructure that actually works. 

10 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Instead of band aid's they need to revamp the whole country much like a lot of the world you have to fun for the whole family especially kids

Imagine how a hotel in Bangkok would do if it had a water park

The young people have some money but the family rules.

We went to Pakchong, there was a hotel with waterpark so we paid to swim in it.

There was a long slide, i went in it and almost flew over the edge...that thing was not designed for very long people and very dangerous. 

10 hours ago, Miami007 said:

Many mention the baht as reason for the decline.  Sure, it contributes but I was in Bali recently and it is more expensive than Thailand and still full with western tourists.

One reason could be that nearly everyone I talked to spoke very good English (in hotels, taxis, clerks in grocery stores, servers in restaurants, security guards at malls etc etc). 

The beaches and water seemed cleaner and overall the tourist product is better than in Thailand.

Bali is great, except the streetvendors who chase tourists.

We stayed in a resort with 4-5 pools, at night it was full of guests swimming with a drink in hand or just sitting at the bar inside the water. All westerners, no chinese...nice lounge music, nice food.....we made many friends...

And the staff spoke good english too! Never seen that in thailand.

38 minutes ago, woogoo said:

Just returned from the UAE. When we arrived, I was greeted by an immigration officer who welcomed me with a "Hello, Sir". He then noticed I had been there before and asked about it. I confirmed this and he immediately stamped my passport and with a smile on his face said, "I hope your trip is well, sir." Even gave me a free tourist SIM with data and talk time. Surely these make it easier to track your whereabouts but the honey of a free SIM goes down much easier than the vinegar of a TM30.

My wife, the same experience except replace "sir" with "madam". We did not come across a single person who was not respectful and helpful. The worst experience we had was when getting a SIM card. To this, I wouldn't even say the attendant was disrespectful, just tired and trying to make sure everyone was served. He was still polite and competent and had us out in five minutes.

This was the entire trip and to be quite frank, the prices we paid for everything weren't much more than here in Bangkok and around the islands. We stayed at a nice 4 star hotel for reference and ate at medium level restaurants in terms of quality and price. 

The second we landed back in Bangkok, things were the opposite. Unfriendly immigration who look at you like cattle and don't speak. Slow trains and poor facilities that aren't updated. Incompetence all around. Had to replace my Thai SIM as I lost it somewhere on the trip to UAE. Went to true and they said we had to come back as their system was down. Went back and no one spoke English. Had to go back later with my wife. 

Want to increase tourism, start with the basics. Friendlier and more competent people and modernized infrastructure that actually works. 

Impressive comments.... I'm weeks from leaving this polished turd rolled in glitter - its shocking and retarded here, and smells of human waste everywhere.... its like a very sick Soi dog now here... 

I see no real "planning" involved.

It's like the government is throwing paint against the wall to see what sticks.

How about cleaning the place up, everywhere a person goes looks like a landfill.

Cleanliness, Repair and Maintenance goes a long way especially if the people coming from the villages are educated how to live in more populated areas where sanitation is required.

7 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

TAT still do not define what they class as a tourist.The magical numbers they keep burping up consist of any one who comes over the boarder or through the airport. I was on a 30 day ocean cruise and we stopped for 6 hours at Lam Chabang. Most passengers got off the ship and either went on a bus tour or walked around the port area.The 3-4 thousand passengers no doubt are put into the system as tourist the same as overnight transit passengers.TAT is only fooling themselves and helping the propaganda machine to pat the Thai bureacrats on the back and tell everyone how good they are and what a wonderful job they are doing.

No concern about real revenue just polish the mirrors.

A large number of the 'tourist arrivals', running into millions I gather, are Malaysian men popping over the border to get their leg over in Hat Yai. 

1 hour ago, fraggleRock said:

Impressive comments.... I'm weeks from leaving this polished turd rolled in glitter - its shocking and retarded here, and smells of human waste everywhere.... its like a very sick Soi dog now here... 

I used to get banned for comments a lot tamer than that, clearly the new normal.  Wonder what you have to compare it now?

5 hours ago, DLock said:

Thailand is a victim of it's own success, and along the way forgot what made it successful...and now I could not advise anyone to visit Thailand.

I certainly agree that the great experience we had 20 and even 30 years ago as "newbies" or tourists would  not be easy to find in the present.   I must say that I can hardly think of any great place or thing (restaurant, resort, attitude, country) that

seems to get better with time ( sure to get some wine comments  ????

The innocence and welcoming nature of Thai people has gone the way of most things, with faces glued to a 

electronic device and the globalization of greed pervasive here as in all "developed" and developing nations.

Living in a fairly nice farming area I do still find the people to be friendly and good natured.  I rarely leave !

The pollution in the North will find me traveling to the South this year and I can only hope the "tourist experience" will be a good one.   

4 hours ago, Percy P said:

Then if your not getting value for your currency complain to your countries government ,don't blame  the Thai Baht

I'm not angry or pointing the finger at Thailand, it's a simple case of economic circumstances creating a situation of less value than in previous times. 

Archived