Thai government promotes 18 measures to reach target of 39 million tourists

webfact

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tourists come here looking for Paradise and instead often get a piece of the 3rd World. So can we please start with the very poor hygiene standards in public places and disgusting toilet facilities if at all, the rubbish left rotting in the heat encouraging rats to run riot, the dangerous and scruffy power lines, people choking on toxic fires, unroadworthy vehicles, lethal roads, complete lack of footpaths, black exhaust fumes pumped in your face from trucks busses and illegally modified noisy motorbikes ? Sadly whilst we have corruption in Government, Police and other officials, standards will take a very long time to improve I fear. A point blank refusal to listen to complaints from your guests will not help either.

10 hours ago, tonysilly said:

Keep the tourist safe, stop the scams, scams , and more scams. Stop overcharging tourist. Clean streets, clean your freaking beaches. Wake up Thailand before its too late.  

It might already be too late, but would they even realize that?

Kick more of us out, make laws where we can't cope, and show us more hate.

And then please don't tell us that this was once called "The Land of Smiles," Amazing Thailand, etc... 

There's nothing to smile about anymore. And I fail to see what's impressive here. 

Perhaps the entrance fees for foreigners to a national park, where a whole Thai family gets in cheaper than one Farang does? Amazing!

They make one new law and regulation after the other without even knowing how many problems they create for people who support Thai families. 

Now it's not only against foreigners in Thailand. Most foreigners here are married or have a gf, somehow "help" the whole extended family.

If all that support goes away with us, they'll wake up, but then it's too late. You don't have to live here to understand what's going on.

Make some soldiers to politicians, fill the most critical positions with generals and admirals who bought their positions, or got it for free from soldier friends, and you'll soon find out that the educational and other systems got much worse in the last years since they took over.

It's not only the school systems, but the poverty has also increased, they even have a phone number now for Thais who want to commit suicide! 

Would they call this number and then not do it? I pretty much doubt that. The suicide rate tells a lot about a country, and it's alarming. 

All got more expensive, locals dislike us more and more, so where are the reasons for living here, or even holidaying here?

Isn't it somehow idiotic and pathetic to spend so much money here? 

Even when you educate their kids, they treat you like a criminal. 

I don't mind the fingerprints I had to give them to make clear that I'm not a gangster, but when does that end and where? 

Instead of being thankful what many of us have done and still do for this country and I'd have thought that teaching their kids an important language and subjects, common sense, and we honestly answer their questions should be considered as something with high priority. 

We buy countless expensive goods, leave all our salaries here to the last baht, create work for Thais and help them to stay employed.

We buy cars, bikes, food, pay our hospital bills and somehow help the country a lot to be what they think they are.

Just because a few didn't, or couldn't pay their hospital bills, can't make all of us to beggars, right?

The German guy on a 14 day overstay was described as a high level criminal by the immigration who thought they'd done an outstanding job. That's laughable, not more. 

If I wouldn't be married to such a fantastic woman as my wife is, I'd be long gone.

My apologies for the long post. Welcome and stay safe and happy out there in the amazing Land of Smiles. -????????????

Welcome to Sisaket.jpg

Do more of the same and hope the country can escape middle income trap.

1. Open more brothels and promote Thailand as a land of sex (LOS)

2. Allow farangs sexpats for mass entry to oggle poor young girls in brtohels (aka bars)

3. Pimp poor young girls to old sexpat farangs for marriage to lift them up from poverty. 

4. Allow farangs to open brothels (aka bars) and give them WP for pimping. 

5. Allow farangs to live in 6K hellholes and 20-baht unhygenic pork soups by giving them a sexpat visa good for forever.

8 hours ago, SamuiFan said:

I agree that the streets need to be cleaned up and specifically the fly tipping of garbage. It is very bad in Koh Samui. And there is an ugly tip right before you reach Departures on the left side of the road. This is what departing visitors see just as they leave. The roads to the airport are shocking too so infrastructure should be a priority. Finally, for Samui, when is Bangkok Airways going to offer affordable air fares? The travel agents in Europe are avoiding Samui as it's so expensive to get here! At the very least they should plan ahead and do early bird saver promotions and last minute promotionalo fares to fill up seats!

There - rant over!

I can fly round trip from LA to NY or Miami, for less than a round trip from Bangkok to Samui, often. And it is 4500 km. vs. 278km. Monopolies are always a bad idea. 

If the government had not been so corrupt they would have intervened long ago in this fiasco. 

I remember going to a policy presentation in English by the lady tourism minister who was appointed just after the coup.  She seemed a well meaning but clueless person who had been chairman of Toyota Thailand but only because her family was lucky enough to be Toyota's local nominees.  She was making a big pitch that her ministry was going to pitch foreign 50-60 year olds for activity holidays, like biking, in secondary provinces like Prae, her idea being that 50-60 year olds had money to spend and that secondary provinces had many overlooked attractions.  Some of the hoteliers in the room got up and respectfully told her that the hotels and infrastructure in the secondary provinces were totally lacking to welcome these well heeled older foreign tourists.  

One of the problems is that people with no knowledge or experience sit down to indulge in policy making in Thailand and come out with ideas that seem good to people with no experience or knowledge.  Consequently the policies never work.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I can fly round trip from LA to NY or Miami, for less than a round trip from Bangkok to Samui, often. And it is 4500 km. vs. 278km. Monopolies are always a bad idea. 

If the government had not been so corrupt they would have intervened long ago in this fiasco. 

The government did intervene some years ago during the Thaksin era by starting to plan a competing airport on Samui.  However, palms were crossed and a sweet deal compromise was worked out.  Bangkok Airways agreed to one flight a day by Thai Airways and the government shelved its plan to build another airport.

Go the whole hog on legalising marijuana and become a tropical Amsterdam.  Young backpackers and old hippy baby boomer retirees would flock to the Kingdom like there was no tomorrow. The only complaints would come from the cops who would lose a source of income from shaking down foreign backpackers caught smoking a joint.

14 hours ago, tonysilly said:

Keep the tourist safe, stop the scams, scams , and more scams. Stop overcharging tourist. Clean streets, clean your freaking beaches. Wake up Thailand before its too late.  

I think the time has arrived when it is too late. 

5 hours ago, pommyBrexitBarstool said:

i would have though the solution was obvious, only one thing needs to be done, weed out the extensive corruption in the emmigration department and the problem would fix itself soon after

the only ones who are willing to go there now are those who are willing to be subjected to random kidnapping and extortion by the emmigration department

13 hours ago, thaigirlwatcher said:

I feel the same about the numerous alcohol free days. Who benefits? No one. I don't see the connection between Buddhism and alcohol. 

What the majority of Thai's consider to be Buddhism is way-off the mark anyway, so the BS about alcohol is nonsense 

13 hours ago, kcpattaya said:

Maybe transform double pricing to triple pricing?

Or introduce TM40 document to register each time public WI-FI is being used?

And TM 50 for everytime you take a leak and TM 60 for a dump, both to be presented within 12 hours of the event with each completed seperately along with all pages of your passport, TM 6 and current 90 day if applicable, all presented in duplicate. 

13 hours ago, Naamblar2014 said:

I thought the headline was going to be

Thailand government promotes 18 measures to make life unbearable for people on long stay visa / extensions.

Corrected your minor error to  "more unbearable" 

13 hours ago, nickstav said:

Build more 7-11s

Formally eliminate all traffic regulations

Supply facemasks to all taxi and tuk tuk drivers so they can't be identified

Expand dual pricing

Train monkeys to be immigration officers

I always thought they were already using monkeys. 

On 10/14/2019 at 6:05 AM, mok199 said:

18 old gimmicks to lure in dollars....the question should be ''how can we in Thailand make your holiday experience more enjoyable''....the answer is ''start treating them with respect and dignity and not like cattle''...

And clean the Country up 

On 10/14/2019 at 11:34 PM, Artisi said:

And TM 50 for everytime you take a leak and TM 60 for a dump, both to be presented within 12 hours of the event with each completed seperately along with all pages of your passport, TM 6 and current 90 day if applicable, all presented in duplicate. 

Along with irrefutable evidence of the events. 555

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2019 at 5:05 PM, mok199 said:

18 old gimmicks to lure in dollars....the question should be ''how can we in Thailand make your holiday experience more enjoyable''....the answer is ''start treating them with respect and dignity and not like cattle''...

I'm done with visiting Thailand.  They wanna take fingerprints at the airports now "to keep Thailand safe" and I only wonder how long it will be before they start drawing blood for DNA samples.

It's a corrupt place that is getting boycotted by myself and many of my friends.  That Tourist Number is likely to drop further in the coming years.

On 10/14/2019 at 10:25 AM, notrub said:

Personally I don't see a big problem limiting alcohol availability.  Gives a person an opportunity to sober up once in a while. 

And you can't do that without these dumb days?

Sad, really!

But even more sad: this is about the tourists!

I doubt, that anybody sits down on the computer and goes through Buddhist- holidays, that may or may not have restrictions on alcohol, to do holiday- planning!

On top of that: alcohol -restrictions for pre- elections and elections and all kinds of unforeseen ...ahm...special- days!

And by now, this has been extended to hotel bars and hotel restaurants!

I don't think, this is the major problem!

But it is part of the whole problem!

No sunbeds and umbrellas on the beaches (really cool, to lie down on your back, flat on a towel...especially for older people) and no one to clean up the beaches anymore!

The overall dirt and garbage!

The danger on the roads, for drivers or pedestrians!

The corrupt (tourist) police!

The 20 immigration counters at Swampy, of which half (at best) are manned by completely unfriendly personal!

The scams, the double pricing....

Thailand will now see, that it is harder to win tourists back, with completely idiotic measures, instead of keeping them by being "nice"!   

On 10/14/2019 at 11:54 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Seriously? People can't buy their booze the day before the bars close and drink at home?

LOL.

this is about TOURISTS!

And they usually don't know "the day before", that one of these days is coming!

Okay...fixed this for you!

You are welcome!

It would be good if Thailand could encourage their IO's to honour Visas that have been purchased in good faith. My country for example will not allow you entry without an approved Visa after stringent checks.

That way when people are coming in it is unlikely they are going to be refused entry.

I thought the idea of a Visa was to test the applicant to ensure their passage was genuine.

On 10/14/2019 at 8:58 AM, StayinThailand2much said:

Or water pollution, e.g. sewage-polluted beaches like Pattaya, Patong, etc.

I don't think that they notice sewerage.  My friends wife was in Buriram hospital with a spinal problem. After a few days they discovered that she has developed a spinal infection. On visiting her he looked out the window and right below was an open sewerage plant with flowing sewerage. Wonderful is'nt it.

Archived