As options narrow on Syria, Trump prepares to drop sanctions hammer on Turkey

webfact

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Crazy Alex said:

No, you're wrong. I'm aware of how awesome our Special Ops people are. I'm also aware there are plenty of countries in the region with a vested interest who can and should easily pick up the slack. We should have never been there in the first place.

Other countries do have vested interests in the area and a US withdrawal should have been COORDINATED with those countries. I find is suspicious that  the idiot trump withdrew from the area after a phone call with Edrogan (what does Edrogan have over trump?). The idiot trump's advisers including the US military advised against it. So now the ISIS prisoners being guarded by the Kurds are all free. The idiot trump shows his stupidity again. Oh..and lies about it. Please don't be an apologist for the idiot trump.  

4 minutes ago, jm91 said:

Other countries do have vested interests in the area and a US withdrawal should have been COORDINATED with those countries. I find is suspicious that  the idiot trump withdrew from the area after a phone call with Edrogan (what does Edrogan have over trump?). The idiot trump's advisers including the US military advised against it. So now the ISIS prisoners being guarded by the Kurds are all free. The idiot trump shows his stupidity again. Oh..and lies about it. Please don't be an apologist for the idiot trump.  

You know the cool thing about being president? YOU get to decide, even if your advisers advise against it.

7 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

You know the cool thing about being president? YOU get to decide, even if your advisers advise against it.

And you get to take responsibility. You familiar with "the buck stops here." Except in Trump's case, when the buck is ia bad one, it's always someone else's fault.

Kurds have claimed 800 ISIS family members escaped a detention camp when guards had to withdraw due to Turkish attacks. A few ISIS fighters have also escaped prisons when these were shelled. ISIS to regenerate?

Resettling millions of Syrian refugees in Kurdish areas of North Syria is basically going to mean ethnic cleansing of Kurds there.

So, now that the Kurds have done a deal with Assad, will Erdogan stop his attacks? Or will it be war? If war, might be the end of Erdogan, with any luck.

55 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

And you get to take responsibility. You familiar with "the buck stops here." Except in Trump's case, when the buck is ia bad one, it's always someone else's fault.

Nope. I gladly say the buck stops with Trump. He is Commander-in-Chief and thus is entirely responsible for getting our troops out of Syria. Nobody else.

15 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Nope. I gladly say the buck stops with Trump. He is Commander-in-Chief and thus is entirely responsible for getting our troops out of Syria. Nobody else.

And the ensuing disaster, glad we agree on that.

5 minutes ago, Becker said:

And the ensuing disaster, glad we agree on that.

If other countries in the region don't care enough to do something to replace our minimal presence there isn't important, why should I? One thing is for sure: bringing our US troops home isn't a disaster for them and their families.

But honestly, don't you think it's a bit silly to simply blame Trump for anything that happens in Syria in the future when there are plenty of countries in the region who can and should step up and handle their regional affair?

47 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Kurds have claimed 800 ISIS family members escaped a detention camp when guards had to withdraw due to Turkish attacks. A few ISIS fighters have also escaped prisons when these were shelled. ISIS to regenerate?

Resettling millions of Syrian refugees in Kurdish areas of North Syria is basically going to mean ethnic cleansing of Kurds there.

So, now that the Kurds have done a deal with Assad, will Erdogan stop his attacks? Or will it be war? If war, might be the end of Erdogan, with any luck.

Erdogan will do as Putin says. Putin wants to secure permanent russian bases in Syria and get the US out. So, probably no war. For Putin controls both Syria and Turkey. 

2 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

If other countries in the region don't care enough to do something to replace our minimal presence there isn't important, why should I? One thing is for sure: bringing our US troops home isn't a disaster for them and their families.

But honestly, don't you think it's a bit silly to simply blame Trump for anything that happens in Syria in the future when there are plenty of countries in the region who can and should step up and handle their regional affair?

You are arguing that trump is only responsible for positive outcomes. Sorry,  taking responsibility is accepting botht he good and the bad.   The illegitimate trump will be responsible for the negative as well as the positive outcomes. That is responsibility. 

I work outside a USA military base. May of my students are special forces Rangers.  Everyone of the Rangers I have talked to is against the withdrawal. Promises were made to the Kurds. The Kurds were USA allies in the war in Iraq and the illegitimate trump is abandoning them. That goes against all the values of the USA military. Trump is a disgrace to the values of the USA military.   

5 hours ago, jm91 said:

You are arguing that trump is only responsible for positive outcomes. Sorry,  taking responsibility is accepting botht he good and the bad.   The illegitimate trump will be responsible for the negative as well as the positive outcomes. That is responsibility. 

I work outside a USA military base. May of my students are special forces Rangers.  Everyone of the Rangers I have talked to is against the withdrawal. Promises were made to the Kurds. The Kurds were USA allies in the war in Iraq and the illegitimate trump is abandoning them. That goes against all the values of the USA military. Trump is a disgrace to the values of the USA military.   

Once again he is trashing the reputation of the US because he believes it will resonate with his base.

6 hours ago, jm91 said:

They are not against the withdrawal because they give a $it about a bunch of muslim kurds.. they just want to stay in a combat zone especially one in which they suffer few casualties but get some kind of combat duty and pay... its some kind of conflict and they are military personell.. its like if your trained as a scientists-you wanna do science of some sort..or they think they can mitigate the failure of the iraq war by sticking around forever, even though the US presence there  is very expensive but does nothing as they are isolated in the middle of the desert as the various factions simply move around them like they are not even there.. or they just want Syria to be a failed state forever (the israeli agenda).. or they buy into this bs that syria's secular govt is a 'brutal dictatorship' and it's so bad that it justifies supporting alqueda-so they can train people to blow up buildings in europe or the usa from there.. if we had a bunch of alqueda blowing things up in thailand i'm pretty sure most of us would opt for a 'brutal dictator' to get rid of them

The Kurds did nothing to help the USM in the Iraq war, they did not fight in falluja, ramadi, or any of the other places where the US lost 5000 KIA.. all they did was pursue their own separtist agenda in the north of iraq

it's all clear now. the Turkish attack was clearly part of a plan, a brilliant one, probably conceived in Moscow.

everything just fits too nicely: Erdogan's popularity is strengthened among voters, the USA lose face big time, Russian ally Assad regains control over a province (which also pleases Erdogan), Moscow's role in the region is strengthened, the USA have to leave Syria, the USA further distance themselves from its ally and NATO member Turkey (for how long?) even imposing sanctions.

I wonder if the plan is concluded or if there are more parts to it.

9 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

Sorry, but your disregard for simple facts and you lack of knowledge of geopolitical affairs makes it absolutely pointless to debate with you.

7 minutes ago, Opl said:

Best option is to just let the Syrian Army control Syria.. for Turkey at least if Syria is in charge they have an address to blame if there are cross border attacks, with kurdish separtist groups controlling the border they just have a terrorist group launching attacks into their country.. If Syria is in charge then they can call Assad and tell him his territory is his reposnsibiity.  If you lived in Surin near the border with cambodia, who would you want controlling the cambodian side of the border.. HunSen's Cambodian state Army or the Khemer Rouge?

11 hours ago, pkspeaker said:

They are not against the withdrawal because they give a $it about a bunch of muslim kurds.. they just want to stay in a combat zone especially one in which they suffer few casualties but get some kind of combat duty and pay... its some kind of conflict and they are military personell.. 

A classic idiot trump supporter diversion. If a group disagrees with the idiot trump the supporters attack them and their motives. 

I interact with US military officers weekly and many of them are graduates of Ranger school. Many not all try to live by a set of values of honor, duty, obligation, and loyalty. They are not in it for the combat pay..god what load of <deleted>. But that was a nice attempt at a diversion. 

The idiot trump violates all the values I mentioned..and his supporters apparently support the cult of personality void of values such as honor, duty, obligation, and loyalty. 

It is sad when the cult followers blindly follow a person who in no way represents the best values of the US. Sad. 

13 hours ago, pkspeaker said:

They are not against the withdrawal because they give a $it about a bunch of muslim kurds.. they just want to stay in a combat zone especially one in which they suffer few casualties but get some kind of combat duty and pay... its some kind of conflict and they are military personell.. its like if your trained as a scientists-you wanna do science of some sort..or they think they can mitigate the failure of the iraq war by sticking around forever, even though the US presence there  is very expensive but does nothing as they are isolated in the middle of the desert as the various factions simply move around them like they are not even there.. or they just want Syria to be a failed state forever (the israeli agenda).. or they buy into this bs that syria's secular govt is a 'brutal dictatorship' and it's so bad that it justifies supporting alqueda-so they can train people to blow up buildings in europe or the usa from there.. if we had a bunch of alqueda blowing things up in thailand i'm pretty sure most of us would opt for a 'brutal dictator' to get rid of them

The Kurds did nothing to help the USM in the Iraq war, they did not fight in falluja, ramadi, or any of the other places where the US lost 5000 KIA.. all they did was pursue their own separtist agenda in the north of iraq

What you post is patently false.   The Kurds were under direct military action by Saddam and were actively fighting against him.   The Kurds are not a country, they do not have a unified fighting force and they most certainly had great difficulty in traveling out of the Northern area to actively fight Saddam.   

The Kurds have long provided a safe area for US military and cooperated far beyond what almost any other ethnic group ever has with the US military.   

I find it interesting that you have to deflect to Iraq and Saddam to try and score points.   Even then, you can't do it without posting falsehoods.

So Turkey is backing Syrian rebels to fight the Kurds? What kind of a situation is

this, is Turkey trying to keeps its hands a bit clean, by using rebels to do its fighting?

Maybe the Syrian army of Assad should kill off all of these rebels, so that Turkey needs

to use its own people to fight its battles in Syria?

Just my thoughts to this long,  long  war.

Geezer

1 minute ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

So Turkey is backing Syrian rebels to fight the Kurds? What kind of a situation is

this, is Turkey trying to keeps its hands a bit clean, by using rebels to do its fighting?

Maybe the Syrian army of Assad should kill off all of these rebels, so that Turkey needs

to use its own people to fight its battles in Syria?

Just my thoughts to this long,  long  war.

Geezer

If Assad could kill the rebels don't you think he would have done so already? 

The Syrian Army can very easily reconquer the rest of the country.  They are being held back by Turkey & the US.  For example Russia, Turkey, and the US established zones in the country where their air-forces control the airspace.  The area west of the Euphrates river is where the Syrian & Russian air forces dominate and this includes the Idlib pocket that is still under the control of jihadists.  So recently when the jihadest continued to violate the de-escalation agreement between Russia & Turkey, the Syrian Army launched an offensive backed by air power and took back some of the territory.  Turkey has 'observation posts' in Idlib and the protested the advance but they do not send aircraft there; Eventually they worked out another ceasefire deal and the offensives stopped.  The Area east of the river is where the Syrian airforce is not allowed, or if they go there they could be confronted by the USAF.  With the Turkish Invasion, they have now sent Turkish air power into that area, so Syrian army units that are going to assist the Kurds do not have air cover.

They are going to Iraq. Pay attention.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

15 hours ago, Credo said:

What you post is patently false.   The Kurds were under direct military action by Saddam and were actively fighting against him.   The Kurds are not a country, they do not have a unified fighting force and they most certainly had great difficulty in traveling out of the Northern area to actively fight Saddam.   

The Kurds have long provided a safe area for US military and cooperated far beyond what almost any other ethnic group ever has with the US military.   

I find it interesting that you have to deflect to Iraq and Saddam to try and score points.   Even then, you can't do it without posting falsehoods.

I wasn't talking about Saddam, I was talking about the Iraq war.. that was the Iraq war where the US lost 132 men driving Saddam out of power and 4900 in the insurgency that followed.. taking and retaking and taking again places like Falluja & Ramadi and getting hit by roadside bombs and ambushes everyday.  The kurds did nothing but 'provide a safe area' in the north of the country.. in other words they just pursued their own separatists agenda.  

Archived