Relocation to UK advice

I have decided to return to the Uk with our daughter to get her into Uk education, in time my wife of 13 years will follow, we are not kids so the distance is ok whilst I get my self re established.. 

Quick question, we are only married at the Amphur office so is this sufficient to apply for a visa, or must we be officially married in UK eyes.. 

Thanks 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Isaanbiker said:

Quick question, we are only married at the Amphur office so is this sufficient to apply for a visa, or must we be officially married in UK eyes.. 

Have you got the original marriage certificate in Thai?

Yes, I have, well it's filed by the wife. I know it's not easy these days to get Uk visas for a Thai spouse. 

We are keeping our house here just in case it all goes south. 

Thanks Jeff, who knows, my daughter is doing well here, but the issue for me has become the amount of extra lessons I need to pay for due to the Thai teachers being either too lazy or busy to teach. I have looked at ofsted and I am lucky that the schools are well rated, that coupled with Mum being 76 and offering us a place to stay while I get back on my feet and after 13 years, I am scared to death, I hope I am making a good decision 

32 minutes ago, Nickthegreek said:

Yes, I have, well it's filed by the wife. I know it's not easy these days to get Uk visas for a Thai spouse. 

It's not difficult. if you meet the financial and other requirements, language and TB tests, accomodation in the UK, she'll be granted a visa.

Just now, theoldgit said:

It's not difficult. if you meet the financial and other requirements, language and TB tests, accomodation in the UK, she'll be granted a visa.

Going back with a chunk of change, but not enough to satisfy the 80k pounds, which I believe is the number, no job, no house yet, so can't see it being an easy transition. Appreciate any insight 

2 minutes ago, Nickthegreek said:

Thanks Jeff, who knows, my daughter is doing well here, but the issue for me has become the amount of extra lessons I need to pay for due to the Thai teachers being either too lazy or busy to teach. I have looked at ofsted and I am lucky that the schools are well rated, that coupled with Mum being 76 and offering us a place to stay while I get back on my feet and after 13 years, I am scared to death, I hope I am making a good decision 

Sounds like a very big ask if I'm being honest, but genuinely wish you well as you are basically doing what I am seriosuly thinking about but I will be a couple of years behind you.

The biggest issue for me is renting somewhere, well that and getting a job. Gonna be real tough.

Just now, Nickthegreek said:

Going back with a chunk of change, but not enough to satisfy the 80k pounds, which I believe is the number, no job, no house yet, so can't see it being an easy transition. Appreciate any insight 

it's 62,500.fwiw..

I have a Mother about the same age as yours, but 2 weeks max is the longer we could hole up with her I reckon..renting is a major problem, do you still have UK credit history, any credit cards etc?

2 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

it's 62,500.fwiw..

I have a Mother about the same age as yours, but 2 weeks max is the longer we could hole up with her I reckon..renting is a major problem, do you still have UK credit history, any credit cards etc?

Jeff, sounds like we have the same mother lol.. 

Credit card yes, credit history, unlikely now.. 

The amount of cash has dropped then from when I last looked, if we sell our house it would be enough, but want to keep it to he honest.. 

I will have to make it work with my mother for as long as possible, used to have a well paid sales management role, can't get back there, so toying with hgv retrain and driving.. 

47 minutes ago, Nickthegreek said:

should be 2 marriage certs, and a kor ror 2

10 minutes ago, Nickthegreek said:

No, the cash savings has always been £65k, assuming that the child holds a British passport.
You mention that you may go back first with your daughter, again I'm assuming she's British, and seek a job, once you've been in employment for six months, in a position that meets the minimum income requirements, then you can sponsor your wife.

6 minutes ago, Nickthegreek said:

Jeff, sounds like we have the same mother lol.. 

Credit card yes, credit history, unlikely now.. 

The amount of cash has dropped then from when I last looked, if we sell our house it would be enough, but want to keep it to he honest.. 

I will have to make it work with my mother for as long as possible, used to have a well paid sales management role, can't get back there, so toying with hgv retrain and driving.. 

Lol, well I have 2 kids..Yes, you will not get an office job now..think you are looking in the right direction...at least you have a back up with your house here if it goes peared..

23 minutes ago, Nickthegreek said:

You do know you can combi on income and savings ? Right ? So if you have a large chunk of dosh then you could take a lower paying job and still meet the criteria.

50 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Good luck with the move mate, I am thinking about doing the same at some point although have to say I think it's a bit overblown ie getting kids into the UK schools, overrated for me and full of scummy little scallywags, hope you at least get her into a good school.

Gordonstoun mate. It was good enough for Prince Charles. No scummy little scallywags there.

...unless you count the spawn of my loins that is.

10 hours ago, theoldgit said:

No, the cash savings has always been £65k, assuming that the child holds a British passport.
You mention that you may go back first with your daughter, again I'm assuming she's British, and seek a job, once you've been in employment for six months, in a position that meets the minimum income requirements, then you can sponsor your wife.

Thanks, I read a few years ago it was a year, so this makes me feel better. 

I'm not sure if you seen the full financial requirements, I've attached them.

You might find this UK Forum helpful, whilst it's for worldwide people returning to or relocating to the UK, it might assist you with issues other than visas.

https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/

Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement_Final.pdf

1 minute ago, theoldgit said:

I'm not sure if you seen the full financial requirements, I've attached them.

You might find this UK Forum helpful, whilst it's for worldwide people returning to or relocating to the UK, it might assist you with issues other than visas.

https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/

Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement_Final.pdf 768.2 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you so much, that is really kind of you.. Anything is useful right now, as I feel like a pin ball, excited, but no idea what hole I drop through 

On 10/14/2019 at 9:20 AM, Nickthegreek said:

You should have an original copy each.

Nothing difficult about getting a visa for a Thai wife/partner to visit the UK. You just need to satisfy the 3 key criteria. 

Settlement is also not difficult if you meet the financial requirements.

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

You should have an original copy each.

Nothing difficult about getting a visa for a Thai wife/partner to visit the UK. You just need to satisfy the 3 key criteria. 

Settlement is also not difficult if you meet the financial requirements.

Having been away for 13 years, it's going to be an uphill struggle, but I am confident I can find work and as I an not skint going back, I an not too stressed.. I am not looking forward to the beurocracy, but I doubt it's that much harder than here once you get organized,however I could be wrong 

9 minutes ago, Nickthegreek said:

Having been away for 13 years, it's going to be an uphill struggle, but I am confident I can find work and as I an not skint going back, I an not too stressed.. I am not looking forward to the beurocracy, but I doubt it's that much harder than here once you get organized,however I could be wrong 

Good luck.

Depends on your circumstances but you may wish to consider taking your wife to the UK on a 6 month standard visa. 

Gets experience of the visa process and VfS under your belts. It gives her a taste of the UK as well ahead of any subsequent Settlement application.

2 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Good luck.

Depends on your circumstances but you may wish to consider taking your wife to the UK on a 6 month standard visa. 

Gets experience of the visa process and VfS under your belts. It gives her a taste of the UK as well ahead of any subsequent Settlement application.

Thanks for your advice, I will look into this, everything I am learning here is useful.. Thanks 

I have had a great time here and no regrets, I just feel that our daughter will get a better chance in life, with a UK degree, Coming back here to work with that will give her more opportunities imho.. I have time to top up pensions, savings etc and come back and just fully retire.. We have on online business and we can see the issues Thailand will face in the coming years, we will import that to the uk and the wife can concentrate on that 

On 10/14/2019 at 8:57 AM, theoldgit said:

If you legally married in Thailand, then you're marriage is legal and recognised by the UK authorities.
Make sure you obtain a translation of your marriage certificate.

Married at Amphur is legally married in thailand and yes for me the british embassy accepted that i  married in the eyes of uk law and so did my old company for my wife to inherit my company pension

Archived