Relocation to UK advice

On 10/14/2019 at 9:20 AM, Nickthegreek said:

Yes, I have, well it's filed by the wife. I know it's not easy these days to get Uk visas for a Thai spouse. 

We are keeping our house here just in case it all goes south. 

What do you mean by "it's filed by the wife"?

When you get legally married, you receive two original marriage certificates with her and your name on it. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Things must have changed, my mate married an illegal immigrant who had managed to get a nice housing assoc flat in London. After she wangled not being deported she collected 16k for moving out and bought somewhere for 43k, now worth 300k. I guess too many doing similar ended up in a crackdown?

How do illegals collect money?

Can you be a little bit more precise, please? 

Finally got it done.

I found something in the internet referring to "short term" stay and right to rent.

Our rental agreement only lasts for 4 days longer than my wife's visa so the agent said OK. 

My wife has now passed all the required checks and we can move in on the specified date.

On 10/23/2019 at 2:02 PM, Isaanbiker said:

What do you mean by "it's filed by the wife"?

Meaning, he lets his wife handle taking care of documents. 

OP - Go for it. I moved my mrs and (step) daughter over in May this year. Best thing we've done as a family unit to date.

If the child is showing signs that they have the aptitude for university then it is absolutely necessary to provide them with the best possible opportunities for their future and a UK university degree (if chosen well) will provide that opportunity. 

If you have no rental history you can bang down 6 months up front and a deposit. It's as easy as that. 

If your daughter is anything like mine she will love the experience. She hasn't looked back so far. Both my mrs and daughter are working part time jobs and integrated nicely into the local community. A lot more than myself in fact due to me working away. 

We too kept on the condo in BKK which is a smart move imo. Gives you a place to go back to and the mrs some security knowing there is a property back home if needs be.

There are some frustrations but everyone is different and mine may not be the same as yours. 

For the most part costs are pretty much the same when averaged out. Seafood, meals out and property are the stand out expensive ticket items. Everything else is either roughly the same or cheaper in the UK.

That's the sad fact now although it does make the transition that bit easier to stomach when you pick up 3 large singha from tesco for £5 and realise that's almost bang on 7/11 price. 

Immigration, NHS and job centre were all very welcoming of the girls and couldn’t have been nicer which came as bit of a shock for me. Banks are a bit of a pain in the <deleted> but easy enough to sort once you’ve got a utility bill and national insurance number.

Goodluck!

33 minutes ago, DDBKK said:

f the child is showing signs that they have the aptitude for university then it is absolutely necessary to provide them with the best possible opportunities for their future and a UK university degree (if chosen well) will provide that opportunity. 

Assuming you can pay the 'foreign student' fees they are charged if they didn't attend five years of high school in the UK.

7 hours ago, DDBKK said:

OP - Go for it. I moved my mrs and (step) daughter over in May this year. Best thing we've done as a family unit to date.

If the child is showing signs that they have the aptitude for university then it is absolutely necessary to provide them with the best possible opportunities for their future and a UK university degree (if chosen well) will provide that opportunity. 

If you have no rental history you can bang down 6 months up front and a deposit. It's as easy as that. 

If your daughter is anything like mine she will love the experience. She hasn't looked back so far. Both my mrs and daughter are working part time jobs and integrated nicely into the local community. A lot more than myself in fact due to me working away. 

We too kept on the condo in BKK which is a smart move imo. Gives you a place to go back to and the mrs some security knowing there is a property back home if needs be.

There are some frustrations but everyone is different and mine may not be the same as yours. 

For the most part costs are pretty much the same when averaged out. Seafood, meals out and property are the stand out expensive ticket items. Everything else is either roughly the same or cheaper in the UK.

That's the sad fact now although it does make the transition that bit easier to stomach when you pick up 3 large singha from tesco for £5 and realise that's almost bang on 7/11 price. 

Immigration, NHS and job centre were all very welcoming of the girls and couldn’t have been nicer which came as bit of a shock for me. Banks are a bit of a pain in the <deleted> but easy enough to sort once you’ve got a utility bill and national insurance number.

Goodluck!

Thanks so much for input, this is more and more of what I am hearing and it makes me feel that it is indeed the right decision.. Bank I still have with credit history and accommodation sorted for now.. Incidentally I have been told that the visa from application, using ab agent will the around a month, what was your experience. 

Thanks 

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Assuming you can pay the 'foreign student' fees they are charged if they didn't attend five years of high school in the UK.

My daughter has walked into college all fees paid. She will study at this instiution for as long as it takes to obtain the qualificaitons to be accepted into uni which is GCSE English and Maths as well as the main courses themselves. 

Reading up on univeristy fee categorising, it isn't as clear cut as you put it. Liverpool uni has a 3 year criteria of residing in the UK for example. Scotland different again. 

There are many ways you can plan out a childs education and the UK is one of the most accomodating and forgiving countries in world when it comes to being accepted onto courses if you demonstrate A. Abilitiy and B. Willingness to achieve at any age. 

3 hours ago, Nickthegreek said:

Thanks so much for input, this is more and more of what I am hearing and it makes me feel that it is indeed the right decision.. Bank I still have with credit history and accommodation sorted for now.. Incidentally I have been told that the visa from application, using ab agent will the around a month, what was your experience. 

Thanks 

Personally I wouldn't bother with an agent. I did the application myself but I suppose it depends how confident you are with it all. 

I think the entire process lasted approx 8 weeks from time of submitting the application to collecting the visas. That's a nail biting moment! But at least they have a pub inside the building you can wait in to calm the nerves. 

As I have mentioned on this thread and elsewhere I have been thinking about doing the same thing as the OP but have sadly (I suppose) come to the conclusion that I simply do not like my wife enough to take on this unbelievably huge task and upheaval. I know exactly what will happen, after the first big row (which won't take long) she will say it's sh*t, freezing cold here etc and wants to go back, this will happen 100% and I aint gonna kid myself otherwise.

It's a shame for the kids (I think) but maybe a blessing..

54 minutes ago, Nickthegreek said:

I am glad it's been a voyage of discovery for you, likewse my wife and I have had many a discussion and with schooling and all the other benefits, I can't wait to get back. 

Good luck. Just remember you will become invisible to woman when there, no more nice smiles, in fact it will be the exact opposite, you will be scorned upon. No joke ???? 

Don't get me wrong woman in family, spouses of friends, woman at work etc will be fine, but the woman in the street, sitting opposite you on the train, fellow shoppers in sainsbury's, now view men as second class citizens, as weak, ugly and just plain dirty who shirk their responsibilities. They will look down on you, make no mistake about that. I was shocked really and I am really quite handsum and well dressed.

Also be prepared to be no shown no respect at all from 14 year old kids on your street corner and around your loal high street where all the shops are all boarded up, and go out for a kebab after 9pm at your peril, it's like the bronx there now.

Good luck and keep your kid away from the gluesniffers at the school.

17 hours ago, Nickthegreek said:

Thanks, I will be in the uk with my daughter on advance, whilst the wife is competent in doing all my Thai visa stuff, I won't be here to support this,may have to bite the bullet.. Thanks for your input, much appreciated. 

Nick 

The hard part is gathering all the supporting evidence - which I assume you'd have to do anyway, even if you used an agent.  Now that everything is online these days it's pretty straight forward to go through the process yourself.  We did the initial visa ourselves and just recently submitted the FLR with no need for any expensive agent.  

First stop is the forum sticky - This helped me out a lot on the first step

As for what you need re. supporting docs it's a fair amount.  I'm guessing you are not in an immediate rush as your wife is testing the waters on the tourist visa but best to get things sorted in advance

Off the top of my head you'd need 

proof you meet the financial requirement (eg. payslips / bank statements / contract etc)

proof of accommodation (mortgage or tenancy agreement)

TB certificate (for your wife)

marriage certificate (with certified translations)

birth certificate of your daughter (if her birth certificate is in Thai you'll need that translated too.)

English language certificate (Unless your wife has a degree taught in English)

Archived