OA insurance - the issues

Interesting times ahead, I am on a O-A Visa issued from Australia earlier this year, I just had a quick look on their website and read the following.........

As of 31 October 2019, visa applicant for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (for retirement long stay) must have health insurance which covers the whole period of stay in Thailand.

Details of the requirement for health insurance are as follows:

• For In-patient: health insurance policy must have coverage at least 400,000 Thai Baht per policy year.
  • For Out-patient: health insurance policy must have coverage at least 40,000 Thai Baht per policy year.

In addition to the existing required documents, visa applicant for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (for retirement long stay) must furnish a completed “Insurance Certificate” as attached, as well as an original health insurance policy. A copy of the health insurance policy may only be accepted, provided that the applicant purchases the health insurance from participating Thai insurance companies as listed here http://longstay.tgia.org/.

From the 1st line of that announcement I interpret that I am not a new Visa Applicant ?...................and ive just paid my annual health insurance here in Thailand at the beginning of this month, and my Insurance is on the list of approved Health Insurance Companies ????, but I dont think it meets the proposed criteria ☹️

1 hour ago, Rivo said:

From the 1st line of that announcement I interpret that I am not a new Visa Applicant ?

Their information is quite clear in the section you quoted, since it refers specifically to a new "visa applicant" from 31st October. By definition an applicant would not yet have been granted the visa. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, steve187 said:

yes but its not saying if you get one tomorrow you will need proof of insurance, which was what you posted, 

What!

The proof was requested as from the date it was included on their website as a condition to issuing the Visa.

Contact them if you don't believe me.

Edited by Tanoshi

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

where is the proof to back up that claim

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html

Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay) 1 Year/Multiple entries 

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Copy of evidence stating that applicants have insurance as stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and health insurance of Thailand which has insurance coverage for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and for inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht. Please check http://longstay.tgia.org> for more information regarding the insurance requirement.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

But it is not on the e visa site yet unless it appears during the application process.

That's for Immigration to amend and update.

The Embassies have no access to the E-Visa system website.

They have updated their own website, which they do have access to.

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Therefore when an alien has been granted Non Immigrant Visa class O-A from an overseas Royal Thai Embassy with the purpose of Retirement (not exceeding one year) enters the Kingdom, an Immigration officer shall abide by the following practices for permitting an alien to stay in the Kingdom, effective from October 31st 2019 onwards.

Has been - past tense, prior to.

Enters the Kingdom - not issue of Visa.

Effective from 31st October 2019. 

I think you're reading stuff into it that isn't there. "Has been" simply means that someone is in possession of that kind of visa. It's just a regular past participle stating that they've got one, but worded in flouncy legalese.

There's nothing in what they've written to indicate it includes visas predating 31st October, there is however definite guidance to IO's to look for an embassy annotation (which would only be seen on visas issued after the effective date). 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

immigration has nothing to do with that website. It is probably the Consular Affairs Department or a contractor that does it.

Immigration control the content of the E-Visa universal website.

The Embassies do not have access, it's 'locked' by Immigration.

Contact London and ask them if your in doubt.

12 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

there is however definite guidance to IO's to look for an embassy annotation (which would only be seen on visas issued after the effective date). 

Not quite.

Can anybody translate the annotation on this non O-A issued just recently?

20191020_233506.jpg

4 hours ago, lkv said:

It would help if the first part of it wasn't missing.

But it apparently it mentions a ministerial order issued in 2544 (2001) which authorized the issuance of OA vsias.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Immigration control the content of the E-Visa universal website.

The Embassies do not have access, it's 'locked' by Immigration.

That would seems very odd. Why Immigration?

Visas, embassies & consulates are not Immigration's business

but MFA's business  (Ministry of Foreign Affairs)

and I don't think they share their data (yet).

9 hours ago, lkv said:

Not quite.

Just says something like that this is a non-immigrant OA visa issued under the order 1178/2544.

Maybe they want to make clear that it wasn't issued under the new rules, but the "valid from" date would also make this clear. I don't see a real purpose of this stamp.

I know there's a lot of posts about this subject and I haven't had the chance to read them all so I'm not sure what the consensus is so far, if there is one. 

However I'm on an OA visa, in my second year on a permission to stay period, I need to extend in Jan 2020. I have health insurance with Cigna that covers me worldwide.

I have just spoken to an agent who told me if I leave the country and return after 31st Oct I will need a new Thai medical insurance to re-enter. Not just when I come to extend.

Assuming that's true, and apart from the fact that it's a lot of money down the toilet, if I buy the new insurance now, I will only have 10 months left on the policy when I come to extend. So presumably my extension will not be granted for a full year. I'm not a happy bunny now... 

• Like 1

A practical question...

My O-A expired in September and I have permission to stay until Sep 2020. I'm traveling out of Thailand on 30th October and back to Thailand 18th November. With all these uncertainties about the medical insurance I'm not sure they'll let me back in. I travel with 2 passports from 2 different countries, if they deny me entry with my current permission of stay, can I just pull out the second passport and enter on visa exempt? I'm staying in Thailand for only a week before going abroad again.