Saudi Arabia opens tourist visas to U.S., European visa holders

webfact

Saudi Arabia opens tourist visas to U.S., European visa holders

2019-10-13T172833Z_1_LYNXMPEF9C0K3_RTROPTP_4_SAUDI-TOURISM.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Saudi dancers perform during the launch of a new tourist visa regime at a dinner at historic Diriyah in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia September 27, 2019. REUTERS/Stephen Kalin/File Photo

RIYADH (Reuters) - Tourist visas for Saudi Arabia are now available online and on arrival to holidaymakers who already hold a visa from the United States, Britain or the EU's Schengen zone, expanding eligibility beyond an initial list of 49 countries.

The conservative Muslim kingdom, relatively closed off for decades, launched a new visa regime last month for nationals from countries in Europe, North America and much of Asia to boost foreign tourism and diversify the economy away from oil.

Executive regulations published over the weekend stipulate that people from other countries who have a tourist or commercial visa from the United States, Britain or European Union nations can follow the same process, rather than applying at a Saudi overseas mission with additional documentation.

Until now, foreigners travelling to Saudi Arabia had been largely restricted to resident workers and their dependents, business travellers and Muslim pilgrims who are given special visas to visit the holy cities of Mecca and Medina.

The new visas are valid for up to one year, cost about $120 including a health insurance fee, and allow multiple entries and stays of up to three months.

Following the visa announcement, the authorities implemented a public decency code barring immodest dress and public displays of affection, but in a break with precedent said they would allow foreign men and women to rent hotel rooms together without proving they are related.

Alcohol is still banned.

The Gulf country, which shares borders with Iraq to the north and Yemen to the south, boasts vast tracts of desert but also verdant mountains, pristine beaches and historical sites including five UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

(Reporting by Stephen Kalin; Editing by Edmund Blair)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-14

17 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I realize they are huge allies of the west...the non democratic monarchy led by a murderous thug....but forgive me if I don't join the multitudes rushing to visit Saudi. 

I would rather gouge my own eye out that visit Saudi,

Lets just get this  correct you dont want go ...right?????

joking aside i lived and worked in Yemen about 15 years ago it was paradise, i will never forgive ,and  certainly not ever visit these murderous *******s

5 hours ago, Tug said:

Thanks but no thanks I’ll pass on that one!

Definitely on my no-go, no-fly list -- which seems to be getting longer and longer and including more countries as time passes.

Wouldn't matter how many perks or incentives the government there wants to roll out to attract tourists. Not now, and probably not ever.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The new visas are valid for up to one year, cost about $120 including a health insurance fee, and allow multiple entries and stays of up to three months

Now wouldn't it be great if Thailand offered a one year tourist visa with multiple and 3 month entries, with health insurance included for only USD 120..

But that's right, TAT don't want long time tourists, but the insurance idea sounds good.. 

7 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Would we be able to attend the public floggings, executions and amputations?

I had a friend who worked in Saudi Arabia. He attended an event where a person was beheaded and a few others had arms chopped off. He told me they seemed  to enjoy having a westerner there.

1 hour ago, Crazy Alex said:

I had a friend who worked in Saudi Arabia. He attended an event where a person was beheaded and a few others had arms chopped off. He told me they seemed  to enjoy having a westerner there.

Maybe they can market this as a medieval experience.  Certainly put bums on seats for Game of Thrones

6 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

Legend has it that they move the westerner to the front so that the last thing the soon to be dead person sees is an infidel. There is a great market next to Chop Chop Square in Riyadh though, with very nice schwarma. Perfect snack for an execution. 

Obviously not for everyone, but the country does have a lot to offer. 

The people are very relaxed and friendly. A lot more friendly than Thais in many ways who often only really appear friendly on the surface. 

In my time in Saudi I've received some great hospitality, and once an Arab takes you into their heart they will go out of their way for you. 

Found these pictures from when Argentina played Saudi in a friendly in 2012. A very bemused Messi arriving at the airport. 

It's easy to dismiss a whole country, but the vastness of saudi provides a lot of different experiences. From the mountains in the south, diving in the red sea, Unesco sites similar to Petra in the North....

But overall, its the warmth of the people. 

Hotels are probably pricier than Thailand, but restaurants are cheap, decent Indian or Pakistani food, Turkish or Lebanese. And gas is about half the price in Thailand. Come in winter and it can be very pleasant. 

FB_IMG_1571083378927.jpg

FB_IMG_1571083471915.jpg

FB_IMG_1571083419852.jpg

Archived