My sister is visiting - where to eat and what to see?

JH1967

My sister (age 55) is finally visiting me - I have lived in Pattaya almost 6 years. We will also go to other places in thailand, but as this is  the Pattaya forum - this will be about Pattaya.

I need ideas for:

1. Spa/Wellness
  2. Restaurants
  3. Things to see / places to go

Re 1. I do not know anything about Spa/Wellness - as i could not care less, but my sister likes it a lot, so i guess it will be for my wife to take my sister to a nice wellness place and I can have a day off *S*. But where to go for a nice day/half-day of Wellness?

Re. 2. Restaurants: I have the following on my shortlist:

Buffet at Siam @ Siam: after a couple of cocktails in the Sky bar, I consider this a nice place to have dinner with freeflow of wine - which i believe my sister will appreciate.

Shabushi - my wifes absolute favorite - so unavoidable - and they do have sushi which i know my sister loves.

"Muh Kata" - again one of my wifes +all my thaifriends favorite - the food is in my opinion nothing special, but my sister wants to see how we live, and my wife regularly tkae me to a "muh Kata" place for dinner.

Dinner at "Kon La Fan" - I think this is a nice place to eat and listen to Thai music - both food and music is excellent.

Thai street food: we will of course eat this several times.

Hilton Skybar is also a must - yes I do like skybars *S*

I would like to have dinner on a boat in the "bay of Pattaya", but i have been told these are only for big groups (chinese?), if you know of a boat that takes individual tourists please let me know - as i think it would be nice to sit (and eat) out in the bay while looking at the lights of Pattaya.

We do not want to eat western food, as my sister can eat that at home.

Breakfast will most days be at home, but I believe we will have breakfast at LK Empress - which is my favorite breakfast buffet in Pattaya/Jomtien. We might also go to The Rabbit Resort - their breakfast is also good quality and there is a nice view of the beach/sea.

Anyone got some other ideas?: it should be good/interesting food, good ambience or nice view - preferably all 3 *S*.

Re 3. What to see/ where to go?

We will visit Koh Larn - my sister wish to spend a couple of days on the beach - this will be one of them - I have not been there for at least 10 years, so it is time for another visit.

Sai Kaew beach will probably be the other beach we will visit - this is my favorite beach within close range of Pattaya.

Thepprasit market - I believe this is a good evening market to visit - my sister loves shopping/markets.

Golf in Pratamnak - my sister has started to play golf - i think she should try this 9-hole course which is okay for beginners.

Nong Nooch is a possibility - I have been there several times (with visitors) so I am not that interested. However, this is for my sister, so if she is interested then we will go there.

Silverlake + big buddha: I think this is a nice, easy and cheap thing to do - as my sister loves wine, I am sure she can be pursuaded to go there.

Walking Street: I only go there when i have visitors. Noisy crowded place, but the most famous place in Pattaya - so I guess I have to take her there.

Where else to go? /what else to see? We have a car so getting around is not an issue.

The sanctuary of true in Naklua is a must see, its considered by some people as the most beautifull temple in Thailand. At least its one you will remember.

https://www.sanctuaryoftruth.com/

And just a couple of kilometers after the temple they have the sea food market who is in Naklua too.
If you like sea food, go there for lunch time, buy the living fish/shrimp/crab/whatever... at cheap price and them walk 20 meter to give them at the cooking tent shop who will prepare them for you. Once cooked enjoy eating them in the park next to the shop, its another good memory your visitor wont forget.

Although they have 2 downside for the sea market from my point of view, is you better go a day where its not going to rain as the park offer no protection and the shops only have a couple of table covered, and toilet there are the kind you will prefer to avoid.

Viharna Sien, sort of in the Wat Yang complex, make a left at KM 160 and follow the signs.

Probably the best Chinese museum outside China.  Has only permanent collection of terracotta warriors outside China.  Massive and very cheap.  Last time I was there it was 20 Baht.  20 foot jade temple is also fascinating.

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

Bang Saray Beach at sunset is nice. 

yes, beach is ok, but late afternoon several eating places, then watch the sun set. one of my favourite places in that area.

you could also venture further, nicer places in all directions if you can travel and have the time...

WOW !  You've lived  in Pattaya for nearly 6 yrs and you are asking about where to go where to eat in Pattaya.. 

Maybe you should have ventured out of your comfort zone before now and part taken in some of the local sights ,tastes and pleasures ...

Nong Nooch Tropical Garden is a pleasant day out ..

Wat Yannasangwararam Worawiharn 

both within a short hope from Pattaya

Take her to dinner at Ruen Thai, semi outdoor restaurant on 2nd road.  The food is OK, a tad over priced.  But they have a stage where they play classical old Thai music and have Thai traditional dancers.  Frankly it is pretty good and gives a stranger to Thailand something nice and a throwback to what they may remember from decades ago about the mysterious Orient.  And at this time of year, the weather is nice to sit outside and eat at night.

Food:

Got to consider a Full English Breakfast at the Pig and Whistle or any other similar place. 

Any of the Thai barbecue places. Some are outdoors places.  I like the one that is inside Big C.  The barbecue sauce really is wonderful.  Order a mix of meats and veggies and you cook them at your table. 

For a quick and cheap eat, KISS on second road.  Fried rice with shrimps, tom yum kung soup, watermelon shake.  Hard to beat price wise while sitting in open air restaurant.

Places to see:

Mini Siam up off sukhumvit is a decent place for a walk around.

Big buddha hill, but not the big buddha .  Just below and to the left of it is the Chinese pavilion.  Beautiful place with water, chinese displays, Confuscious site, etc.  Greatly over looked place.  Very quiet and peaceful

Things to do:

Foot massage almost anywhere.   Oil massage too.  For adventure, at one of the bigger massage shops, go for a Thai massage if she is not fragile.  You can tell the masseuse to be gentle. 

Yeah I guess a mall walk around if it is a hot day and you don't fell like sweating much.  Terminal 21 is OK.  Festival of course.  If you are there during a weekend, later in the day they should be setting up the crocodile barbecue right out front.  That is different.  I recommend you get the meat cooked fresh and you actually see it put on the grill starting form when it is red and raw.  I have a feeling from what i observed that they do not sell all the meat form one day and they may re-cook it the second day.

The aquarium is not great but it may interest her.  Not really a Thai thing

Many suggestions are for all things Thai, which is obvious, because we are talking about Thailand.  However, Pattaya has restaurants representing all cuisines from around the world. 

It would be a good opportunity to try food from a country that maybe your sister has never visited, and perhaps never will, or, a country that she has visited before, and liked the food.  All these different restaurant are in close proximity, and very affordable.

Just something for consideration. 

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Take her to one of the big Ladyboy shows...my sister loved it. Not my scene watching cxcks in frocks prance about and wave their arms a lot, so I got my Thai partner to take her! 

Yeah. went to Tiffany's many years ago with my girlfriend.  I hate show tunes as my sister I grew up with used to play them.  I guess Alcazar is probably bigger and better.  But the Tiffany's place was nice inside.  Not my cup of tea, but heck, got to see the show one time

Thank you for all the replies so far (keep'em coming) -  they are all very interesting.

Johng: The viewpoint + tempel - how could i forget these.I have been to the viewpoint several times and love the place and the view, I have not been to the tempel for more than 10 years - so  they will certainly be included in the programme.

Wat Yan and the chinese  museum, hmm after 6 six years in Pattaya and i had to google them - slightly embarrassing. They will be included in the trip to Silverlake - thank you for the tips.

Leaver: Good idea - I think we will visit Bang Saray already next week when my wifes aunt visits us - i hope we can find a place to buy cocktails as she just loves chatting over a few cocktails (very nice old lady).

French mate: Sanctuary of Truth - again i have never seen it and it is so close by. We will definately visit this place - and seafood in Naklua is just a brilliant idea (why did i not think of this!!!). We all love seafood and I think it is a very "Thai thing" to do - so this will certainly be in the programme.

Thinkingman: thanks for the tip - this has been included in the programme.

Jacko45k: Ladyboy show is a good idea (we are in Pattaya afterall) and there are plenty of shows - but I better ask my sister first *S*.

Banglay: You are absolutely right. However, after 6 years in Pattaya I believe I have tried more than 100 different eateries (but this is just a small fraction of what can be found here) - many were ok but nothing special, some very good but no longer existing and quite a few that I know my sister will not find interesting as she can have better choices where she lives (European food). For example my Thai wife loves Schnitzel Hans, but for a european tourist this restaurant is not interesting to visit unless you are craving German food. I do not like chinese food, so we never go to a chinese restaurant, but if someone can recommend a very good chinese restaurant and my sister loves chinese food, I will take her there (i just do not have any knowledge of these places and that is why I ask).

Also i have totally forgotten about the seafood in Naklua (maybe because I have not been there for 2-3 years) - but this is just a perfect idea as I am sure my sister will appreciate this. Have I forgotten other nice places to visit???

I have lived in several countries during my working years - and I rarely visited the local sights - but I was busy visiting other places. I guess I thought I could always visit these places as it was very easy to do but then never did - maybe it is the same that is happening for me here in Pattaya - however, with the help from this forum I now have more ideas for my sister's upcoming visit and I thank all the contributors (so far) for this.  

Here's a couple of places which will impress anyone, in my opinion.

Elephant Jungle Sanctuary:

mud-bath-with-elephants-pattaya.jpg.8a7015787690e1c8ff4073679741195e.jpgbathe-with-elephants-pattaya-thailand.jpg.70c76bdb326406ef74bc4d53fc139738.jpgfeed-elephants-pattaya.jpg.323579b47c23822fc9f884c082028c57.jpgfriendly-elephant-pattaya-thailand.jpg.cecf0f5b8e2dc2013900718e58f2a522.jpg

Flight of The Gibbon:

I took my mother here when she was in her late 60's, she absolutely loved it.

949958177_meetjane.jpg.e13f3a716427bb22dd2dc99bb7356970.jpg

1220274406_ziplining.jpg.1f603946253df48e961ee4632cabcc57.jpg

Nice places to eat:

Glasshouse, Na Jomtien

The View, Na Jomtien

Not tried myself, but the Sky Gallery and Chocolate Factory both look great.

The beer garden at the start of walking st has great seaview has a very popular resteraunt with long waits for a table in high season and not expensive.

be careful what beach you choose in koh larn , there are thousands of Chinese. best get the ferry to the side of the island facing pattaya and rent motor bikes to explore the island

Hello

As a very nice spa for massage I would recommend Healthland.. They have excellent therapeutic massages (also of course a lot of others).. For one hour therapeutic massage is 450 bahts which is very reasonable as it is performed by a qualified person with university diploma.. There are 2 centers one on Pattaya Nua road when you come from Sukhumvit on the right hand side around 200 meters from Sukhumvit.. Another center is on Sukhumvit just on your left after Pattaya Tai when you go towards North.. Here for therapeutic massage I would recommend Dr Sukunya.. Receptionist speaks basic english.. It opens at 10 morning.. ph 038412995

Regarding restaurant, english people often like indian food and to eat something different from thai or european restaurants, I would recomend Indian by nature

306/64-68 Thappraya Rd  phone after 5.30 pm 038 364 656

They have genuine fine dining indian food (indian cook, manager and owner) great cosy atmosphere and service .. They have a special Diwali dinner on november 9th with Bolliwood dance performance and set menu..

Big Buddha on the hill and the sanctuary of truth have to be seen.. Show her also some markets (Naklua pattaya Tai for example or Sattahip has a great market on saturdays)

Have a nice day

7 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

Take your sister to Cambodia, Vietnam, and Laos.  There are many things to see in all three countries and visitors are charged the same as locals.

No they are not!

Ever been to Angkor Wat ?

Close by is Cabbages and Condoms restaurant on the sea at end of Pratamnak Soi 4. Crows nest for seating for best view. 

Get her a seafood pizza with squid somewhere (at big restaurant across from Buddha Mountain?), for something new to her.

Small things like the sweet egg pancakes or soup found on food carts.

Being that it's cheap, get her a 4-hands massage.

Leaver: Good idea - I think we will visit Bang Saray already next week when my wifes aunt visits us - i hope we can find a place to buy cocktails as she just loves chatting over a few cocktails (very nice old lady).

The Blue Sky Restaurant & Bar on the beach road at Bang Saray sell cocktails

No trip to Pattaya is complete without taking a lengthy, refreshing swim in the “pristine” waters of the Gulf immediately next to Beach Rd close to Central Plaza.  

A relaxing, evening stroll along the same stretch of beach sand is also “interesting”. 

Archived