Knock, Knock

ColeBOzbourne

Occasionally I catch a bit of grief or pity from my fellow human beings because I've never owned a cell phone and refuse to join the modern race. This morning in my building I saw a middle-aged woman approach the elevators with her eyes firmly transfixed on her phone. Rather than push the button, she knocked on the elevator door and patiently waited for a response, never glancing up from her screen. After a moment she politely knocked again and continued to wait. I didn't stick around for the end of the show, but did walk away feeling pretty good about myself. Smart Phones, they really do make people smarter!

Occasionally I catch a bit of grief or pity from my fellow human beings because I've never owned a cell phone and refuse to join the modern race. This morning in my building I saw a middle-aged woman approach the elevators with her eyes firmly transfixed on her phone. Rather than push the button, she knocked on the elevator door and patiently waited for a response, never glancing up from her screen. After a moment she politely knocked again and continued to wait. I didn't stick around for the end of the show, but did walk away feeling pretty good about myself. Smart Phones, they really do make people smarter!
So if you have not joined the modern race,how did your pidgin manage to get its message here?

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

15 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

So if you have not joined the modern race,how did your pidgin manage to get its message here?

Thank you for being fascinated with my story. I have one of them laptop contraptions and use it now and then to spy on the modern race, but not actually join it. I see that you have a SM-A720F in conjunction with the Thaivisa mobile app...impressive!

I'm a millenial geek and resisted cellphone for a long time. My uncle gave me one at Christmas because he thought I was anormal. I dont use it when walking or driving. It has been pretty usefull when at the border they asked me to buy an onward ticket. When denied on another occasion it has been use to open my account on this site from detention. Google map is pretty usefull and help often when my father inlaw get lost driving around. 

Thank you for being fascinated with my story. I have one of them laptop contraptions and use it now and then to spy on the modern race, but not actually join it. I see that you have a SM-A720F in conjunction with the Thaivisa mobile app...impressive!
Actually our son bought it for my birthday a couple of years ago ,he said the two tin cans we used did not have enough string over long distances[emoji3]

4 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

Thank you for being fascinated with my story. 

Um, well, folks are also fascinated by a traumatic decapitation they may see on the road here, so dont let your ego get tumescent

1 hour ago, marko kok prong said:

accept that one is going to be assimilated and resistance is futile.

Sir Patrick Stewart's/Star Trek's "Picard" series starts January.  The Borg collective likely to re-appear  

15 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Learned a new word today :thumbsup:

All those years - and you never knew that's what was happening to it. No one ever whisper in your ear, "Oh my, you are a tumescent one, big boy! Light my fire."

17 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Really?  How would you contact someone in an emergency or how would they contact you?

Good question, and therein lies the occasional grief I have caught as mentioned in my OP. Coincidentally, that grief only came from a few members of ThaiVisa forum who were quick to say I was 'incredibly selfish' for not owning a cell phone. I didn't run out and buy one.

Basically I have very little family and we are not close. I have one hillbilly-hermit sister with no phone or internet. My other sister has joined the modern race, we occasionally communicate by email. She also has the phone number for my building where there are landlines. I can call out if needed, she could call in if needed. If I happen to be out for a few hours there will be a message waiting for me when I return. If I fall down and hurt myself maybe I can scream for help, maybe not. That pretty much covers it.

7 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

If I fall down and hurt myself maybe I can scream for help, maybe not. That pretty much covers it.

There was a guy not long ago who fell in a hole. He tried to burn his clothes and probably scream to get help. I guess a cellphone can be handy at times. 

On 10/14/2019 at 12:51 PM, ColeBOzbourne said:

she knocked on the elevator door and patiently waited

I think there is something in the air - or water - or maybe from shooting these cell rays through the air...

or maybe most of the people i know are suffering from the beginning strains of dementia [caused by air, or water etc..] 

But thanks for the funny story... 

1 hour ago, Tayaout said:

There was a guy not long ago who fell in a hole. He tried to burn his clothes and probably scream to get help. I guess a cellphone can be handy at times. 

He was probably walking along staring at his cell phone and that's why he fell in the hole.????

6 hours ago, Nemises said:

Cellphones saved the lives of many people (just yesterday) trapped when a building collapsed.

I agree, there are times when a cellphone can be invaluable. What I don't understand is when sometimes I see someone was in grave danger and rather than call for help themselves, they will Facebook a friend and tell them to text their mother with the message that they are in trouble and mom should please twitter the police.

On 10/15/2019 at 2:26 AM, ivor bigun said:

Perhaps he uses the computer in a public library.

One day I'm going to ditch the mobile phone ( it's NOT a "smart phone" ) and tell people to send me a letter if they want to communicate with me.

I still use cash too.

The world was a better place without PCs, smart phones and day time tv. 

Why do I come on here? Because I'm addicted, but one day I'm going to get cured and I won't anymore. I only started on TVF for the info sub forums anyway. 

On 10/16/2019 at 5:36 PM, ColeBOzbourne said:

Good question, and therein lies the occasional grief I have caught as mentioned in my OP. Coincidentally, that grief only came from a few members of ThaiVisa forum who were quick to say I was 'incredibly selfish' for not owning a cell phone. I didn't run out and buy one.

Basically I have very little family and we are not close. I have one hillbilly-hermit sister with no phone or internet. My other sister has joined the modern race, we occasionally communicate by email. She also has the phone number for my building where there are landlines. I can call out if needed, she could call in if needed. If I happen to be out for a few hours there will be a message waiting for me when I return. If I fall down and hurt myself maybe I can scream for help, maybe not. That pretty much covers it.

Back before mobile phones and so on we all survived pretty well.

Anyway, big difference between a simple mobile phone, and a so called "smart phone", which makes it's owner stupid.

A few years ago there was a poster that was trying to convince us that smart phones made us more clever. He hasn't been around for ages- perhaps because he lost the argument.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps he uses the computer in a public library.

One day I'm going to ditch the mobile phone ( it's NOT a "smart phone" ) and tell people to send me a letter if they want to communicate with me.

I still use cash too.

The world was a better place without PCs, smart phones and day time tv. 

Why do I come on here? Because I'm addicted, but one day I'm going to get cured and I won't anymore. I only started on TVF for the info sub forums anyway. 

Why not tell them to simply come visit you. Mail is still pretty modern technology in human history.

1 minute ago, Tayaout said:

Why not tell them to simply come visit you. Mail is still pretty modern technology in human history.

Because I was referencing business people. They aren't going to visit me to tell me that my prescription is ready.

I don't want to go back to the middle ages, but I only use the phone for such as the above, so I don't see why I should pay large for a phone I rarely use.

NB, I will also be giving up the car. A mobile is a safety thing when travelling in case of accident of myself or others, so that's about the only thing I really need one for.

Archived