CM Condo Rentals through the Roof!

Stubby

7 minutes ago, madmen said:

How's living with mommy in the UK? thats a good woman that gives her son a safety net when things go pear shaped ☺

I don't like CM your right but a mate from oz said he wanted a month in CM And a month in bkk but I switched him from CM to Jomtien where he gets a great seaview and all the fun in pattaya very close

Oh really .

And there was me thinking that you were lying about looking for a place to live in CM .

I should have known that you were looking for a mate and not for yourself and I mistakenly thought that you were making it all up because you hate CM .

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Odd that you would be looking for condo

given his complaints i think your right.

if you dont like neighbors, thin walls or being boxed in its time for a house or villa. house safety is not a major concern in thailand. you also sans the jack off security guy, admin staff etc which makes it feel much more independent and you can get stuff done without being pestered or urinated on.

Edited by fhickson
  • Haha 1

There are less foreigner tenants able to commit for a long term rental unit because of strong bht and due to ongoing various stricter new visa requirements.

This brings rents down and also brings sales of new condos to slowdown.

So I doubt rents are going up in CM. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

There are less foreigner tenants able to commit for a long term rental unit because of strong bht and due to ongoing various stricter new visa requirements.

This brings rents down and also brings sales of new condos to slowdown.

So I doubt rents are going up in CM. 

The housing market is exactly the same

15 minutes ago, deej said:

The housing market is exactly the same

Chiang Mai has thousands of gated community houses standing empty. Chinese buy them, and just sit from there on.

I would suggest to the OP he visits any condo in Chiang Mai that he deems desirable, and look at the notice board every condo has. There will usually be a couple of advertisements by landlords seeking to rent out.

Inspect the room on offer. If it's acceptable, haggle for a 10 - 20% discount on anything above 6 months. IMHO he won't have to wait to long for a new landlord.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deej said:

Presently their is a over supply of Rental Condo.s in Cmai.

Due to very few renters available . to take up  the slack . that has been rising steadily in the past few yrs for a multitude of reasons.

O/P you are in the pole position.  to name your own price that u feel .is a good deal  between both partys.

A  Win .Win situation so to speak.

From my own observations 

most Owners are asking at least 20%  over a Win Win  price

Very best of luck????

Thank you, DeeJ ????

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Chiang Mai has thousands of gated community houses standing empty. Chinese buy them, and just sit from there on.

I would suggest to the OP he visits any condo in Chiang Mai that he deems desirable, and look at the notice board every condo has. There will usually be a couple of advertisements by landlords seeking to rent out.

Inspect the room on offer. If it's acceptable, haggle for a 10 - 20% discount on anything above 6 months. IMHO he won't have to wait to long for a new landlord.

Thanks, Lacessit ????

We have some nice cottage style houses on a private soi we rent out long term.  Three times the size of a small condo with a small yard and quiet area.  Very rarely is there one available.  First thing we ask " you're not a TV member, are you ?"

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, rumak said:

We have some nice cottage style houses on a private soi we rent out long term.  Three times the size of a small condo with a small yard and quiet area.  Very rarely is there one available.  First thing we ask " you're not a TV member, are you ?"

Why?

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Why?

OK,  I'm just joking.    BUT,  the all too common TV member that posts often on here tends to be 

confrontational and does not seem to get along well with life here in Thailand. These people are definitely no nos for our place.   

We have been renting for over 10 years so I have quite a bit of experience !   Have only had a handful of

problems but they have helped us to choose more wisely.   And I am nicer now too  ????

7 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I think you'll find he's joking, Lacessit ????

jez crist  Stubby !    you got it .   ( but there always is a bit of truth in humor,  na ? )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

From my actual experience

More Bangkok investors.

Then Chinese .

Edited by deej

6 hours ago, Bassosa said:

Rental prices are definitely down in the established high quality buildings around town.

It's a buyers market, especially out of season.

I agree. Prices are as cheap as they have been in 8 years. Anyone who says other is looking at all the wrong places. The vacancy rate I read is around 55%. People are desperate.

23 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

My friend tells me there is loads of empty houses on the moo baans for 3 bedrooms 11,000 Baht a month 1 year contract

Correct.  And possibly lower then 11.000 Baht per month.

2 bedroom houses .can be found at 5.000 Baht per month.

1 yr contract .

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Stubby said:

Seriously, I can hear pee drop into the toilet next door each time someone visits the loo. I could probably headbutt my way into their bedroom,

A little too much info but I get the idea... 

Yes, prices have gone up and most of our currencies have gone down... and during your ten year period, there has been plenty of inflation... the entire housing market here is crazy. Actually, lack of a market. Much of what i see for sale is not selling and is seriously overpriced. I see places for sale for 6MM that I could buy the land and build new for 4 million or less. 

As to rentals, they move along with this unreasonable market. There are older condo buildings here that are near empty and still the rental prices do not drop. I do know a few people who have bargain rentals, but that is not easily found...

For as long as you have been here, you are probably most likely to find a bargain property by asking around, talk with the local ladies at the market... etc etc... good luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dogbarker said:

At that sort of money you could get a really nice 3 bed house house in one of the many moo banns in sansai and meechok areas...  . better option?

I like newness, DogBarker, lots of glass, and elevated views.

The tiny windows and bland interiors of Thai houses don’t cut it for me. They just seem so characterless (on the inside), compared to a modern condo. I sooner have small and beautiful than big and bland, but it’s a personal preference, of course. 

Also, if there’s a problem in a condo, you go to the office and report it. Five minutes later, a bloke’s standing at the door with his box of tools. There are fewer issues with pests crawling all over the joint too.

But hey, never say never. If I came across a little two-bed detached that checked enough boxes, I might sign a 2-year contract on the spot. But thus far, I'm not convinced. Nor do I fancy rattling around a big ol house on my own.

Stubby

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

A little too much info but I get the idea... 

Yes, prices have gone up and most of our currencies have gone down... and during your ten year period, there has been plenty of inflation... the entire housing market here is crazy. Actually, lack of a market. Much of what i see for sale is not selling and is seriously overpriced. I see places for sale for 6MM that I could buy the land and build new for 4 million or less. 

As to rentals, they move along with this unreasonable market. There are older condo buildings here that are near empty and still the rental prices do not drop. I do know a few people who have bargain rentals, but that is not easily found...

For as long as you have been here, you are probably most likely to find a bargain property by asking around, talk with the local ladies at the market... etc etc... good luck.

Thanks, Ken ????

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

When I was renting, best places were to be found by exploration.

Many sellers / owners do not advertise in the media. Piece of cardboard wired to the gate or post.

Find an area you like, and hit all the back sois.

Best deals around.

Good advice, Canthai55. I have time on my side.

• Thanks 1

I know its not the same area, but my wife haggled the owner of our large 2-bedroomed house with small garden in Pattaya down from 12,000 to 9,000 baht a month - seems she was happy with the 25% reduction as the bank have been harassing her to get money back. For reasons that I can now only put down to lack of people renting, I am being offered larger properties for less money now, rather than the other way round. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

The tiny windows and bland interiors of Thai houses don’t cut it for me. They just seem so characterless (on the inside), compared to a modern condo. I sooner have small and beautiful than big and bland, but it’s a personal preference, of course. 

Also, if there’s a problem in a condo, you go to the office and report it. Five minutes later, a bloke’s standing at the door with his box of tools. There are fewer issues with pests crawling all over the joint too.

But hey, never say never. If I came across a little two-bed detached that checked enough boxes, I might sign a 2-year contract on the spot. But thus far, I'm not convinced. Nor do I fancy rattling around a big ol house on my own.

You are correct about  most houses having poor floor plans.  Not attractive to our western tastes.  

On the other hand I am someone who can't stand living in a box among other boxes .  I like my small garden and sense of living in my own space.   

Everyone has different opinions .  From my long tenure in the market I agree there are LOTS of rentals available.  Those that post that there are lots of houses for  5000 baht really don't understand WHY they are that cheap.   I won't bother to explain.... just let you know that mine are a bit over 10,000 and are never empty longer than a month.  One recent tenant looked at ours,  then about 20 others before coming back to rent ours .    Well, a short explanation :   the typical Farang renter would like a quiet place ( no dogs, karaoke, crazy neighbors, good floor plan,  clean and comfortable, safe, decent landlord, ETC )

The list can be longer but finding such a place is NOT easy.... hence the many problems farangs encounter after they move into that "great deal".    

I would never sign a 2 year contract as, like in a relationship,  it takes a while to catch the red flags if there are any.  And often there are.   We also would never give a 2 year lease ..... for the same reasons !

BTW:  Stubby,  I know you would like our place but we are on the far opposite side of town towards San Phii Sua.    Very convenient to everything .... but i also like Mae Hia area going out the canal road (if i was to choose another area)    I ride a bike also and that is a good spot to be.     Rumak